PDA

View Full Version : axle question

kookennay
08-29-2009, 04:21 PM
whats the two big nuts that lock together and the the other nut that spins. what are they for exactly? what is a good clutch to get and were from?

kookennay
08-29-2009, 10:08 PM
can anyone help me please

atv fan 28
08-29-2009, 10:14 PM
the 2 nuts tighten the axle, but what other nut are you talkin about?

thedeatons
08-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Correct, the nut closest to the swingarm tightens snugly, just enough so the axle is tight, but loose enough to allow it to spin freely. The outer nut right next to it tightens against the inner nut, and acts as a locking device.

If you are anywhere near stock horsepower I would simply buy an OEM Honda set of clutch discs (fiber and metal). You could look at Barnett or Hinson for a nice upgraded clutch basket.

James

kookennay
08-30-2009, 11:27 AM
its not stock it has a resleve 310 boyesen rad valve 86 motor wit 87 rod wit spacer plate and paul turner power head. the clutch that is in it never has slipped, not sure whats in there, till yesterday but it was low on oil and was getting hot to wear when i had it pulled in it would not disengage the clutch. well i let it cool down about 30 minutes and it seemed fine. it did this cause i got lost on some land we just got and was pretty much making my own uphill trail knocking trees over.

kookennay
08-30-2009, 11:28 AM
and i will try to take a picture of the nuts i talking about i just have no clue how to post pictures

Honda 250r 001
08-31-2009, 08:29 AM
thats the axle nut, you need to keep that tight or you will ruin your axle and bearings and possibly other things.

they have left hand threads so you need to go the opposite way. loosen the small nut and tighten up the bigger one and then tighten up the smaller nut against the bigger one as a jam nut.

250r grave yard
09-01-2009, 07:56 PM
hey sound like your clutches are hanging up they make groves in the clutch basket so when opened they get stuck in the groove and wont release 2 ways to fix the problem if its like that grid them smooth or buy a new or used and dont get a barnet clutch basket inless it has the one you can change the outer clucth basket teeth you can ruin a clutch basket quick at times