PDA

View Full Version : timing chain

MidnightBlade
08-29-2009, 01:51 PM
on my 05 400ex the timing chain is lose and im wondering how to tighten it or is it automatic?

matt14c
08-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Its automatic. On the right side (exhaust side) there is a chain tensioner that goes into the motor. Two little 8mm head screws and a philips screw in the middle. If you have alot of hours on your bike then the chain could be wore out. Most upgrade to a 02-04 CRF450 timing chain. Its thicker similar to a heavy duty but much cheaper. Replace that and most again replace the tensioner. You can get a new tensioner first to see if that solves your problem then replace the chain. I did my chain with my motor completly broke down with cylinder off and everyhting but you may be able to do by just taking the head cover and clutch cover off. You have to pull the clutch and a couple gears out. Little bit of a job but not too difficult.

MidnightBlade
08-31-2009, 04:27 PM
k i got my valves adjusted and it stopped the slapping sound but it still has a ticking noise. is that normal on 400ex's?

killer400ex
09-01-2009, 10:47 PM
hahahaha is ticking normal on a 400ex, lol a 400ex is a ticking time bomb, not literally but they all sound like there about to blow up, especially if you have motor work like a cam or its been ridden real hard for a long time, they all do it so i wouldn't worrie about it unless it becomes excessive

tri5ron
09-01-2009, 11:13 PM
you should be able to find all that you can digest on the subject here...
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=2186281&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending