PDA

View Full Version : Wire Harness and Keyswitch Bypass

08-29-2009, 01:04 PM
ok before I really screw something up...I just did the keyswitch bypass and I did the following...

I unplugged the keyswitch connector, snipped the wires off the other end of the connector and stripped and connected the following wires together and taped them up...
Red wire to the brown wire, black to the black/yellow wire and blue to the yellow/red wire

Does this sound right?

Now as far as removing the wire harness I kind of get it but not sure if the whole harness is supposed to come off or not?
When the instructions say to plug wires into the cdi box I am assuming cut and strip wires and connect and tape them or am I wrong? I am a bit hesitant to do this and will wait to here more on this before I start...thanks in advance

Nichols Atvs
08-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Heres what u need to do

1- Take 2 wires (blk w/red & wht w/red) from the stator and plug them directly into CDI box (same color wires)

2- CDI wires (plug orange and black) Run orange wire to hot lead on coil and ground the black wire

3- The black wire left on the CDI goes to a ground

4- Make sure to run ground from engine to frame

If you have an aftermarket Kill Switch- Run 1 lead to ground and other wire to hot lead on coil. Be careful not to run hot lead on coil to wire on killswitch that runs to the metal exposed part of the killswitch.You will get a shock ! Good luck!

08-29-2009, 04:13 PM
I haev these instructions...ho wdo you plug somethingito the CDI Box?

Is there to be no harness when this is completed?

Sorry, just a bit confused and don't want to go cutting wires without being 100% sure

CRBOGGAN
08-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Working on similar thing. I am putting on aftermarket kill switch. It is a pro design what goes were? thanks. Wire colers will help me alot.

08-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Right now I have everything diconnected to get the frame gusseted (if that's a word...lol) so basically what wiring do I need to put back on?

Nichols Atvs
08-29-2009, 07:07 PM
WHen you remove the cdi do not cut the wires just unplug them .over on the right side sitting on the quad on the motor is a group of wires coming out of the engine follow them and unplug them take all other wires out then do as the post i listed before. you should not have to cut any wires on the cdi or the stator wires they will plug into each other.

Nichols Atvs
08-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by CRBOGGAN
Working on similar thing. I am putting on aftermarket kill switch. It is a pro design what goes were? thanks. Wire colers will help me alot.

orange wire to coil the wire on the kill switch that is not metal goes here. the other wire goes to ground.

08-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Nichols Atvs
WHen you remove the cdi do not cut the wires just unplug them .over on the right side sitting on the quad on the motor is a group of wires coming out of the engine follow them and unplug them take all other wires out then do as the post i listed before. you should not have to cut any wires on the cdi or the stator wires they will plug into each other.

Thanks...I will check it in the morning...is the CDI the only thing that needs to go back onto the quad? Forget the rest of the wiring harness?

08-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Yes from stator to cdi and orange wire to coil and black to ground. That's it but be sure to make sure you hook up your tether right or you will shock your kid ground on metal side and hot on plastic side to the orange wire on coil.

Nichols Atvs
08-29-2009, 10:44 PM
If u read my post again i said end that was not metal goes to the orange wire and the other to ground !

CRBOGGAN
08-30-2009, 11:39 AM
how can you remove the brake safety switch.

Nichols Atvs
08-30-2009, 03:33 PM
pull hard out it will brake off

CRBOGGAN
08-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Got it all fixed thanks to help on here. Quad now starts with 1 push button and stops by pulling kill switch or you can just kick it off. Thanks for all your help.

diablo14
09-07-2009, 05:16 PM
the engine is out of our quad right now so i wanna check to make sure i did it right. plugged in the to wires from the stator, cut the plug off the orange and black/ grounded the black and ran the orange to the positive spade of the coil. then take all the remaining harness and get rid of it????