PDA

View Full Version : hd stud install

bigbad400
08-28-2009, 08:40 AM
i already got the hd studs on order for mine cuz i broke one on the jug, my question is (these are supposed to be hd studs too) what is all involved in changing them? are they reverse threads or will this be a professional only job or.....whats up with these studs. someone help me please i gatta ride alot more befor winter flys. if i can do it do i need some sort of stud tool.

im good at this stuff i just never done this and i didnt intend to have a 440 so i never looked into it much. but i do now so i need to know

oh and what do you torque them to, i broke my other one at stock torque 33ftlbs i believe

mmbintn
08-28-2009, 09:16 AM
I took mine to a machine shop to have them installed. I took the directions in with me so they would get them in correct. I know I could have done it myself but I was having the cylinder honed anyways and I know they will get them in square with the jug and I may or may not have.

bigbad400
08-28-2009, 11:56 AM
what im saying is supposedly this jug is already got hd studs in it. if it does i dont need a shop to do it right? but i dont want to mess up threads either so how do i put them in if thats the case?

mmbintn
08-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Once mine were cut into the jug i had to pull them out to put some locktite on them. Once loose they unscrewed very easy. So you could try screwing the new one in and if it doesnt go in easy then you will have to have them redone but if it threads in more then 2 or three turns then you should be good for the rest of the way.

Another way would be to pull the old studs and take it to lowes and figure out the tread count then compare that to the new ones.