PDA

View Full Version : blasters

2to4
08-28-2009, 07:10 AM
right now i have a kx 85. i like it but around here it just makes more sense to have a quad. iv been looking at warriors and 300 ex's or 400ex's but no one wants my to buy my 85. now im thinking trade. iv offerd a few people but they wont even email back. any way iv noticed blasters are WAY cheaper. 1200 gets you a perfectly fine blaster. also i cant put money on top of my trade because i dont have any. basicly what im saying is i might be forced in to buying a blaster what do you think about them. im 5'6 150lbs is it to small. im just gonna ride it in pits and im building a small track in my woods and my friend has a small track. maybe go to one or two mx tracks. thanks

2to4
08-28-2009, 02:29 PM
anyone??

reptikes
08-28-2009, 02:33 PM
I'd rather have a kx 85 than a blaster any day.

extremeblastr
08-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by reptikes
I'd rather have a kx 85 than a blaster any day.

absolutely positively agreed.

yellowzo3
08-28-2009, 03:49 PM
well if you want a quad a blaster is NOT a bad quad. Actually its a pretty simple, peppy bike thats fun and easy to learn on. it may feel a bit cramped for your size but it will be tolerable. if its your first quad it will have decent power, but wont be overwhelming and hard to manage (add a pipe, silencer, filter, reeds, rejet and its a whole new bike). out of the list of quads you have there the 400ex would be the best choice for what you'd like to do. if your riding in sand pits a blaster will be fun to wind out and rip around since its a 2 stroke. you wont get that with the 300ex or warrior. Basically if you want to ride pits and build a track a blaster isn't a bad choice. if you could afford a 400ex (even if you had to save up for a while) it would be in your best interest. i don't ride dirtbikes but kx85's are peppy as well and if you got on a warrior or 300ex you'd be disappointed.

2to4
08-28-2009, 04:56 PM
well thats the problem i dont think ill ever get another quad till im out of college. im a sophomore and 3 years on the same quad isnt to bad but i dont think ill be any taller than like 5'9 so a small quad will just get smaller

extremeblastr
08-28-2009, 05:24 PM
do yourself a favor and do not buy a blaster, i've owned 3 and it never changed they always sucked lol. get yourself a 300 or 400ex and you'll be happy for a while.

yellowzo3
08-28-2009, 05:28 PM
your a sophomore in college or high school? if your not getting another quad until your out of college (and your in high school now) that will be at least 6 years. I was about 5'7 when I got rid of mine. It wasn't bad, I just had it for a few years and it was time to move to a 4 stroke. You can make blasters fast for cheap, so don't think because its smaller that your stuck with no power and that its not capable of hauling you around at whatever pace you choose. 400ex's aren't that much more. How hard would it be for you to save the extra money for one? It could potentially be your quad for life if you maintain it. And the aftermarket for them is huge (blasters aftermarket support is also huge)... Are you in a rush to get a quad? 400ex is the best choice for you. If you already don't think you'll be happy with a blaster than you won't be once you have one. They're a great quad, but its seems like you need the 400ex to be content.

IRISH-RACER-14
08-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
do yourself a favor and do not buy a blaster, i've owned 3 and it never changed they always sucked lol. get yourself a 300 or 400ex and you'll be happy for a while.

what bad expieriences have u had with them?

extremeblastr
08-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by IRISH-RACER-14
what bad expieriences have u had with them?

other than that its an outdated underpowerd way to heavy hunk of junk? none lol. by the time you've spent the money on the parts needed to make a blaster enjoyable you've spent enough to pick up a 450 on craigslist so why in the hell would you buy a blaster.

hondariderdylan
08-28-2009, 07:40 PM
other than that its an outdated underpowerd way to heavy hunk of junk? none lol. by the time you've spent the money on the parts needed to make a blaster enjoyable you've spent enough to pick up a 450 on craigslist so why in the hell would you buy a blaster.

becuase many kids are not ready for a 450 yet

ding-ding!................entry level sport quad, who woulda thunk it?

yellowzo3
08-28-2009, 08:01 PM

He said he doesn't want to spend a lot. And a 450 is way more expensive to work on than a blaster is. A blaster has like the simplest engine out there. If something goes wrong he can easily fix it himself instead of having to worry about cams, chains, adjusting valves. A 400ex is reliable stock so it would be ideal for his application but is a little out of his price range (and if he bought a beat up 400 he'd no doubt have to do some work on it eventually). A 300ex isn't any better than a blaster in terms of being way more modern and powerful. hondariderdylan's got the right idea. It's an entry level sport quad, and a great one at that. If you want a super modern, light, powerful quad with great geometry than get a yfz450r... He's not looking to race pro-am though, he's just getting started in the quad scene and a blaster is a great place to start in terms of bang for the buck

extremeblastr
08-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
becuase many kids are not ready for a 450 yet

ding-ding!................entry level sport quad, who woulda thunk it?

and you know what its still a pile of s*** compared to a 300ex and he also stated hes gonna be stuck with whatever he buys for quite a while so buy for the future and take it easy when learning your way around a quad it truly is that simple if you have a brain.

extremeblastr
08-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
He said he doesn't want to spend a lot. And a 450 is way more expensive to work on than a blaster is. A blaster has like the simplest engine out there. If something goes wrong he can easily fix it himself instead of having to worry about cams, chains, adjusting valves. A 400ex is reliable stock so it would be ideal for his application but is a little out of his price range (and if he bought a beat up 400 he'd no doubt have to do some work on it eventually). A 300ex isn't any better than a blaster in terms of being way more modern and powerful. hondariderdylan's got the right idea. It's an entry level sport quad, and a great one at that. If you want a super modern, light, powerful quad with great geometry than get a yfz450r... He's not looking to race pro-am though, he's just getting started in the quad scene and a blaster is a great place to start in terms of bang for the buck

you can buy a stock/mostly stock 05/06 yfz or 450r for betwen 1900 and 2600 on craigslist and you are instantly lightyears ahead of that blaster. i started on a blaster myself and it did nothing but hold me back, there is no room to move around on them and they are slower then smittanks thought process. its outdated machinery and thats just how it is.

timmy400exfast
08-28-2009, 08:34 PM
where are you findin the 450s man they go for 3g for a 04 or 04 in the winter.............but anyway when i had my rm 85 it was pretty quick i sold mine for 1200 but got a blown up ktm that we rebuilt so when i switched my 400 seemed slow as hell no matter what you get your in that price range your gonna like your bike better ive had a rm 85 and rode warriors and 300exs no blasters but i always liked my bike better than those quads

timmy400exfast
08-28-2009, 08:35 PM
i meant 04 and 05s 450s lol:devil:

2to4
08-28-2009, 08:59 PM
lol now im still two sided on this. iv got people calling it a pile of junk and people saying its great for me haha i still dont no wat to do. oh im a sophomore in high school but ill prob have to sell it to get money for college. im thinking ill go test ride it and do a lot of thinking in those 2 min :confused:

extremeblastr
08-29-2009, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by timmy400exfast
i meant 04 and 05s 450s lol:devil:

check the rv and motorcylce sections of craigslist every couple days. i came across 7 or 8 in the last week for less than 3g 05-07

extremeblastr
08-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by 2to4
lol now im still two sided on this. iv got people calling it a pile of junk and people saying its great for me haha i still dont no wat to do. oh im a sophomore in high school but ill prob have to sell it to get money for college. im thinking ill go test ride it and do a lot of thinking in those 2 min :confused:

there is no doubt it can be enjoyed because it is a quad and therefore has to be fun lol but the point being is it is meant for smaller/beginner riders which you won't be come the end of next summer and then you'll be looking at another 3-4 years on a machine you've already outgrown so do yourself a favor and pick up at least a 400ex.

yellowzo3
08-29-2009, 09:40 AM
there is no doubt it can be enjoyed because it is a quad and therefore has to be fun lol but the point being is it is meant for smaller/beginner riders which you won't be come the end of next summer and then you'll be looking at another 3-4 years on a machine you've already outgrown so do yourself a favor and pick up at least a 400ex.

Yes, the 400ex is undoubtedly the best choice, its just the $$ issue. The blaster isn't horrible if he HAS to get one, but like I said before, try and save up for a 400. We may disagree on blasters, but we're both on the same page with the 400ex which has to say something about its good reputation and perfect fit in this situation. Winters coming anyway, so he may be able to pick one up a little cheaper in the off season (if he wants to wait that long).

2to4
08-29-2009, 10:05 AM
thanks guys ill see wat i can do to get a job (even though no one wants me) and save up some money for a 400

extremeblastr
08-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
Yes, the 400ex is undoubtedly the best choice, its just the $$ issue. The blaster isn't horrible if he HAS to get one, but like I said before, try and save up for a 400. We may disagree on blasters, but we're both on the same page with the 400ex which has to say something about its good reputation and perfect fit in this situation. Winters coming anyway, so he may be able to pick one up a little cheaper in the off season (if he wants to wait that long).

money issue? blaster is gonna run him between 900-1300 for a decent one and i could go pick up 3 or 4 different 400s around here for 1200-1300 a pop

08-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Say what you will I LOVED my blaster. With a pipe and filter it was pretty peppy, and is a lot faster then a 300ex or warrior. Feels it too. They have good ergo's are are super light weight. I was able to jump mine so nicely, I think they're a great MX platform. It felt like jumping a piece of paper is was so light.

The ONLY thing I didn't like about it, was how narrow it was. That was easy enough though, flipped the front rims and widened the rear and wah-lah.

Now that im 6'1", I got on one and felt pretty cramped. But for people 5'5 to 5'10 you're fine. Mine was great for all kinds of riding.

Sure, the 400ex is a nicer quad. But I actually like jumping the blaster more. haha. Felt like I could jump a house with the thing.

extremeblastr
08-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
Say what you will I LOVED my blaster. With a pipe and filter it was pretty peppy, and is a lot faster then a 300ex or warrior. Feels it too. They have good ergo's are are super light weight. I was able to jump mine so nicely, I think they're a great MX platform. It felt like jumping a piece of paper is was so light.

The ONLY thing I didn't like about it, was how narrow it was. That was easy enough though, flipped the front rims and widened the rear and wah-lah.

Now that im 6'1", I got on one and felt pretty cramped. But for people 5'5 to 5'10 you're fine. Mine was great for all kinds of riding.

Sure, the 400ex is a nicer quad. But I actually like jumping the blaster more. haha. Felt like I could jump a house with the thing.

i hate to tell you but a blaster is not faster then a 300ex. there is a reason that 9 out of 10 youth racers have a 300 and not a blaster. not to mention that the 300 is bulletproof and the blaster might be in a bad mood and cough up a set of rings.

edit: blasters also have a tendency to drop the front end in the air

08-29-2009, 10:44 AM
i hate to tell you but a blaster is not faster then a 300ex. there is a reason that 9 out of 10 youth racers have a 300 and not a blaster. not to mention that the 300 is bulletproof and the blaster might be in a bad mood and cough up a set of rings.

edit: blasters also have a tendency to drop the front end in the air

Never had a problem with my blaster dropping. And blasters are bullet proof, lol. Never had an issue with mine.

BlaineKaiser450
08-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Never had a problem with my blaster dropping. And blasters are bullet proof, lol. Never had an issue with mine. Whats the biggest jump youve done on a blaster? Im gonna have to agree with the dropping problem.

A 400ex would be the best choice IMO

extremeblastr
08-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Never had a problem with my blaster dropping. And blasters are bullet proof, lol. Never had an issue with mine.

i had the unfortunate luck of racing one, no matter what used to land on the front wheels and carry the rears a couple feet. could've been the combo of longtravel fronts with a stock rear but still i mean cmon. no matter how you look at it you have to spend about a grand to get a decent blaster and for 2-400 more you can get a decent 400 so you tell me whats the better buy.

2to4
08-29-2009, 10:55 AM

you didnt feel cramped at all or like you had no room to move around cause thats how i feel about my 85 and i dont want another one like that but i can deal with it if its not too bad

extremeblastr
08-29-2009, 10:59 AM
you didnt feel cramped at all or like you had no room to move around cause thats how i feel about my 85 and i dont want another one like that but i can deal with it if its not too bad

i'm 5 10 and i can't get all the way off the seat on a track because if i do the rear fender puts me in a position that has my knee touching the front tire and thats with the front fenders cut, stock plastics i have to squeeze myself between the fenders to get off the seat at all. it is a decent beginners bike and thats all it is. get the 400 or 450 so 2 years from now its not just sitting in your garage while your whining because you didn't buy one of the other 2.

2to4
08-29-2009, 11:03 AM
haha true but if i get a 400 or 450 ill be getting it in two years rather than two weeks

08-29-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm not an MX'er, but I used to get a good 4ft or more and flat land it all the time. lol. Not huge but very confidence inspiring. If I still had it I would be doing a lot more. (Keep in younger at the time, so 4ft+ of air was sick, lol)

The 400ex is a better buy though. It's much more comfortable just feels a little heavy.

extremeblastr
08-29-2009, 11:53 AM
the 400 shouldn't take you any longer to buy. as i stated in one of my other posts i have seen more then a few in the 1200-1300 range.

2to4
08-29-2009, 11:58 AM
but at 1200 1300 range theyre pretty beat up at least around here

extremeblastr
08-29-2009, 12:21 PM
but at 1200 1300 range theyre pretty beat up at least around here

they may look beat up but with a little tlc they're good to go. it may need little things here and there but i've seen a stock 400ex motor go through two motos with about a 1/4 of the oil it should have had in it and it runs just fine now with no parts replaced.

08-29-2009, 12:29 PM
they may look beat up but with a little tlc they're good to go. it may need little things here and there but i've seen a stock 400ex motor go through two motos with about a 1/4 of the oil it should have had in it and it runs just fine now with no parts replaced.

That's how mine was when I bought it. Guy was riding and racing it flat track with less then a quart of oil in it:eek2: But ever since I owned it and changed the oil, not a ounce of smoke or anything. Runs like a top.

Definitely a durable motor.

IRISH-RACER-14
08-29-2009, 12:32 PM
u would be suprised how much people are trying to sell there quads, if u no where to look u can find a 450r for 2500, id say hold ur money and price around, in a few months u will find that the blaster is 2 small and not fast anough for u,

SRH
08-29-2009, 10:59 PM
blasters can be made faster than a stock 400ex for about $500 and a little patience, the most important thing is engine maintence and getting rid of the oil injection...other than that, there cheap, simple and fun

just realize your not getting a 450 race quad, block off the oil injection, get a pipe, reed valve, spacer, up the compression a bit, good filter and toss the airbox lid, get it geared and jetted in and in a straightline it should take a 400ex, but your not going to on the mx track or any rough terrain, you could always get a 250r shock cheap on ebay and a set of used yfz front shocks cheap and it would make it more comfortable but the chassis has too many short comings to do much against whats out there, if you just want a quick lil quad to play on blaster is a cheap way...

i buy alot of them and we pull the motor even if they run great split the cases, replace the bearings , new bore and piston, the shift componenets take a beating in the blasters too...along with the clutch....

ALAMX37
08-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Depends on what your intentions for it are and size. My younger brother just moved up about a year ago. His blaster would own any 400 I have ever rode. Full on diamond racing motor with Snyder +5 with elka triple rates. I was very impressed and he beat 300's every time we raced. Just depends on your style and ability.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/bigjosh37/KEMX.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/bigjosh37/500x332.jpg

born2ride14
08-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Well if thats camron covil of which who i think it it, hes is just nuts, he is a crazy rider

ALAMX37
08-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by 300maniac
Well if thats camron covil of which who i think it it, hes is just nuts, he is a crazy rider

Nope, that would be my younger brother. Not saying he is quite right in the head but not covil. LOL

mxpimp2000
08-30-2009, 07:41 PM
this pic is from 03 and when i raced the blaster they were fun and a 300ex IMO just slow slow slow

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o224/mxpimp2000/adam445-1.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o224/mxpimp2000/adamhometrack-1.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o224/mxpimp2000/adam-1.jpg

2to4
08-30-2009, 08:04 PM
so i ended up trading even for a 300ex i know but i felt like i was cramped on a blaster and felt more comfy on a 300ex im so happy to have a quad

907Rider
08-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Blasters are small and handle like poo but they can be made respectable quads for really cheap. I've out grown mine and I'm moving on but their still way funner than any lame 4joke.