PDA

View Full Version : banshee

y-man
08-27-2009, 10:57 PM
hey guys i was thinking about getting a banshee sometime and was wondering wut u guys think. Im 17 and ride an ltz400 right now. Iv always wanted when since my dad had one a while ago.
I love the sound of 2 strokes. I could listen to them all day. was wondering wut year would be good one and how much u think i could get a decent banshee for. Thanks alot

y-man
08-29-2009, 08:09 PM
anybody got suggestions or anything for me thanks

08-29-2009, 08:34 PM
I think you'll love the banshee. May not handle quite as good as your LTZ, but when they hit powerband what a rush. Plus the modifications are endless, always something more when you get bored with what you have at the moment.

I love riding mine so much more then my 400ex. It's so much faster and you can just turn the bars, grab the clutch and nail the throttle and whip her around any berm or corner. Flies pretty straight too.

All year banshee's are good. They never really changed. 1987-1994 had "J-arms" instead of the conventional a-arms, and different style plugs on the electrical connectors. J-arms are not bad, they actually handle better then a-arms. It's a giant "J" That goes around the front of the shock on the top. The only downfall to them is they eat bushings.

The rest are the same. From 94-09 the only thing that changed was plastic colors and I believe in 02' they ditched the brake light for an actual tail light.

Banshee's are a dime a dozen. There's so many of them out there because it was the only real sport quad available for the longest time after the 250r was discontinued. You can score a really nice in in EXCELLENT condition for around 2500.

y-man
08-29-2009, 08:38 PM
ok thanks alot man aprreciate it. Would the banshee still be ok i ride trails but there pretty much strait no trees or nothing all flat. it along a high way
thanks

08-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by y-man
ok thanks alot man aprreciate it. Would the banshee still be ok i ride trails but there pretty much strait no trees or nothing all flat. it along a high way
thanks

Those are the trails a banshee loves best:D Anywhere you can open it up. They aren't so great in tighter rougher trails but I manage it, it's not horrendous.

Banshee's love smooth, high-speed trails, fields, hills, coalmines, anything where you can jab the throttle and rip.

y-man
08-29-2009, 08:44 PM
also can u fix that rattle on the kick start i heard they rattle alot and if not is it ok if they rattle a bit thanks man

y-man
08-29-2009, 08:51 PM
1992 YFZ 350 twin 2-stroke. Low hours on complete rebuild from crankshaft on up, all Yamaha parts. New carb,rear end bearings, swingarm bushings,chain,guides,sprocket. Tires are good. It is in great shape for its age. I have all the paperwork. All work was done at Moritz Marine. $1700 . . Always shedded & clean.

this is wut a guy about an hour and a half away from me has. i know there no pic but wut would u guys think

y-man
08-29-2009, 09:10 PM
srry forgot to say but i believe its all stock to

08-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Well stock piped banshee's are slow. Yamaha purposely restricted the headpipes and everything on them. Putting pipes on a banshee is like adding a turbo.

But it should still be a little faster then your LTZ. Definitely look into pipes though.

Ask the guy for some pics. Sounds nice by the description. 100% stock is nice too because it's tuned perfect, and makes performance much easier. You can put pipes on then jet it yourself.

And the rattle on the kickstart can be fixed, but it won't hurt anything if you don't It's known as the death rattle, because the only bad thing about it is the rattle is so damn annoying haha.

y-man
08-29-2009, 10:29 PM
thanks dmc u r helping me out alot i really appreciate it. But there is a pic but idk how to get it here. Its on a site called bismanonline.com if i cant get pics here if u will go to the site and type in banshee at the top search bar. it might be 2nd page. I dont really care for the color of it but wut ever haha mainly the shock color. it should say the description i copied from him the 1992. and let me know wut u think of it thanks man.

y-man
08-29-2009, 10:43 PM
see if this did anything

y-man
08-29-2009, 10:44 PM
ok it did haha but that is the banshee

08-30-2009, 08:44 AM
My lord that thing looks EXCEPTIONALLY clean. It may be all stock, but that thing looks like it was takin care of very well. If it runs good I would jump all over it. Offer him 1500 and see if he takes it.

That's the perfect base for a banshee. Mint condition and unmolested. Throw a set of pipes on that baby and i'll help you out with jetting, and you have yourself a really nice bike.

When you get there just make sure it starts up real easily and runs good. Look over all the bearings/bushings. IE: Axle, swingarm, a-arm bushings, etc.

If it all checks out ok offer him 1500 cash on the spot.

y-man
08-30-2009, 10:34 AM
ok thanks alot dmc ya that was wut i was thinking about offering him and it pretty close to my house to haha

08-30-2009, 12:13 PM
No problem. That shee right there is no different then an 06 other then the electrical plugs are different.

y-man
08-30-2009, 12:49 PM
would is a good mixing ratio that u use and wut brand of oil do u use thanks man

y-man
08-30-2009, 12:57 PM
ha srry i mean wut is a good mixing ratio haha not would

08-30-2009, 01:03 PM
We mix it 32:1, 4oz to every gallon. Any oil that's ester based synthetic. I personally use Mobile1 synthetic and Maxima Super M. Klotz Techniplate is also good.

I also used Fuchs once and it was pretty good, but pricey.

Super M and mobile 1 are my favorite.

y-man
08-30-2009, 01:05 PM
k thanks man for all ur help. Ill probably need some more help later haha

08-30-2009, 01:39 PM
k thanks man for all ur help. Ill probably need some more help later haha

That's alright I like helpin out fellow banshee owners haha.

y-man
08-30-2009, 10:18 PM
so u think that 92 banshee will be a good one for i just hope i can find some room for it haha. We got my ltz , snowmobile ,and boat here so its getting close ha. We will have to make room cuz its a banshee ha

08-31-2009, 03:42 AM
so u think that 92 banshee will be a good one for i just hope i can find some room for it haha. We got my ltz , snowmobile ,and boat here so its getting close ha. We will have to make room cuz its a banshee ha

Well you never know until you see it in person, but from the pictures it looks to be in great shape. As long as it starts up easily, idles real good, and seems to run strong, then I think she's a good one.

y-man
08-31-2009, 11:15 AM
ya that true. I think im ganna go look at it soon. I will let u know how it turns out. Thanks for help wyatt

poppa-willie
09-05-2009, 04:08 PM
hey man, the bike definately looks clean and well taken care of but a couple of things you should ask the owner about is the compression on both cylinders and if/when the last rebuild was. normally a motor should be rebuilt after about 4 years. also, if it has been rebuilt (bored, honed, crank trued and welded, etc...) as what bore the cylinders are on. if its been bored .80 over than you are gonna need new cylinders.

also, FYI (not that it matters in this case because you are looking at a '92 banshee) the j-arm frame years are from '87 to '90.

and if you are serious about buying the banshee then i would suggest takin a look at a site called bansheehq.com. theres an endless supply of banshee info there, you might have to dig thru a little bs to find the answeres to your questions but i gurantee the answeres are there.

hope this helps!

Toadz400
09-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by poppa-willie
also, FYI (not that it matters in this case because you are looking at a '92 banshee) the j-arm frame years are from '87 to '90.

and if you are serious about buying the banshee then i would suggest takin a look at a site called bansheehq.com. theres an endless supply of banshee info there, you might have to dig thru a little bs to find the answeres to your questions but i gurantee the answeres are there.

hope this helps!

I was going to point that out also. J-arms ended in '90.

Definitely check out BansheeHQ. Great place for Banshee specific questions.

Oil mixture depends on the oil you are using. With typical cheap oil I would mix around 32:1 or 40:1. If you use Amsoil or other synthetics you can mix anywhere from 50:1 to 100:1. I would suggest using synthetic oil. Burns much cleaner, you use less of it, lubricates better, and smells great.

Check out eBay for the repair kit for the kick start.

09-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I was going to point that out also. J-arms ended in '90.

Definitely check out BansheeHQ. Great place for Banshee specific questions.

Oil mixture depends on the oil you are using. With typical cheap oil I would mix around 32:1 or 40:1. If you use Amsoil or other synthetics you can mix anywhere from 50:1 to 100:1. I would suggest using synthetic oil. Burns much cleaner, you use less of it, lubricates better, and smells great.

Check out eBay for the repair kit for the kick start.

I run all the good synthetic stuff, and still run a mixture of 32:1. The extra lubrication never hurt anything and doesn't affect the way mine runs:) I would never run 100:1 though...

Toadz400
09-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
I run all the good synthetic stuff, and still run a mixture of 32:1. The extra lubrication never hurt anything and doesn't affect the way mine runs:) I would never run 100:1 though...

Running a thicker oil mixture like 32:1 will cause a lean fuel mixture compared to 50:1 or 100:1. Running too rich of an oil mixture could eventually cause problems.

The guy who used to build my engines had a built 250R and would run 50:1 when he rode the trails and 100:1 when he raced it. Only used Amsoil. Every time he had it apart it it looked like brand new. I would be completely comfortable running those lean oil mixtures. Unfortunately my brother is the keeper of my Banshee now and he buys the cheap oil that mixes at 40:1.

poppa-willie
09-06-2009, 06:51 PM
just thought i'd throw in that i run amsoil saber at 80:1. have so for a year now and havent had any problems to date (knock on wood).

y-man
09-09-2009, 11:44 AM
ok thanks guys for the info i would have got back to u earlier but i was in missouri for a couple of days with no computer