PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Front Tires??help!!

trailburner
01-10-2003, 09:52 PM
oK I just put a new set of holeshotes on ITP rims [both new] on front of quad.& when I get in about 4 or 5 gear the bars start to swap back & forth really bad!![espeacialy on black top] is it posible to balance front tires on quads?? what should I do??????????
please help...THANKS!!!!!

terko440
01-10-2003, 09:59 PM
hey trailburner, do you have any green slime(puncture resistant slime) in your tires, front or rear? If so get it out of there or just deal with it. I had that problem after putting some of that junk in my tires and it is suppose to spread out evenly but I think at high speeds it collects in one spot and throws the balance out of wack. If this is not the case for you, good luck in finding the problem.

redrider ex
01-10-2003, 10:19 PM
a freind of mine had the same problem with the same kind of tires he goes by TRAVex mybe he can tell you some thing

Glamis400ex
01-10-2003, 10:50 PM
whats happening is, you have toe in on your front tires, and when going fast, especially on asphalt, the tires are wanting to "track" in. Asphalt grabs like the dickens and at high speed, this is exagagerated. If you set your toe in at zero, meaning straight ahead, this will go away.

I suspect you have a little to much toe in to cause it to it to sway.

Think of it this way, if you drew a line from the center of your tires frontwards, eventually both center lines from your tires would cross in front or intersect somewhere. Kinda hard to explain, but someone else may be able to do better.

Glamis

muff
01-12-2003, 05:51 AM
yeah glamis pretty much said it, I'll see if I can explain it for ya

first measure the distance between the front of the front tires, and then measure the distance between the back of the front tires, the back should be greater, if it is, make your tie rods shorter so it'll make the gap between the front tires bigger, you want the front only a little bit less than the back

now when measuring the distance between the front and the back of the front tires, I usually use treads that are like right in the middle, also make sure you handlebars are straight, and measure it when the quad is on the ground you can't have it on a lift or something

I think that should be it, if you still have problems or have more ?s to ask just post them in here

TravEX
01-12-2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by trailburner
oK I just put a new set of holeshotes on ITP rims [both new] on front of quad.& when I get in about 4 or 5 gear the bars start to swap back & forth really bad!![espeacialy on black top] is it posible to balance front tires on quads?? what should I do??????????
please help...THANKS!!!!!

i had the same problem,,,with your stockers it doesn't do it does it?,,,i bought Holeshot XC's on Douglas .190's all the way around on my 400, the front wheels were bent when i got them from RMATV,,,stand the quad up on the grab bar and spin the front wheels and look at the space between the wheel and the brake caliper, that will tell ya if it the wheel being bent or if it's a toe in problem,,,mine it so rough to ride with my Douglas wheels on that i rarely even use em (unless i know that i'm just gonna be putting around in the woods at low speeds),,,i tried everything to take the wobble out, turning them a 1/4 turn on the hub, washers, trying to center the wheel on the hub, swapping sides, but they always wobble up and down and left and right at high speeds on pavement,,,now, i have 2 other sets of wheels and tires, so i really don't even need the holeshots anymore,,,