PDA

View Full Version : dumb bearing question

evil 525
08-27-2009, 06:47 PM
how the heck do you get the bearings out of the front hubs???

and yes I did a search.

U1arunit
08-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Move the cone spacer aside a little and use a punch on the INNER race to remove them. Obviously they are junk once you pound the inner race but you are replacing them anyway.

Install the new ones by tapping the OUTER race. I use a large socket the size of the outer race.

sheriff525
08-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Wait!

The inner and outter bearings are different sizes. So what i did is I took a socket and attached a longer extension to it (the 1/2 drive works quite well). I found a socket that would fit through the larger bearing but not the smaller one. Then i set up the hub on the tire for a brace by laying the tire on the ground. I then hammered down on the back of the extension. use crappy tools for this! The small bearing popped right out for me after a few good hits but you have to make sure the hub will not move and that everything is straight.

Next I flipped the hub assembly over. I got out a bigger socket that was bigger so i could pound on the bigger bearing until it came through. Worked like a charm for me and the best thing was i never wrecked the seals and was able to reuse them.
Good luck.

Work smart not hard!

sleddog66
08-30-2009, 07:34 AM
why would you put old seals in somthing with new bearings?