PDA

View Full Version : Lost power and died..Help

Nick110
08-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Well at the last race my quad lost power on a straight away so I pulled off and it died. I tried to kick it back over but nothing, I ended up getting towed back to the trailer. Washed it then took it home and tried to kick it over again. This time the kicker locked up. Any ideas?

eastside 400
08-27-2009, 03:48 PM
sounds like the crank or tranny

Nick110
08-27-2009, 03:54 PM
I dont think its the tranny, cause thats all new with the moto x perts tranny mod. Maybe the crank, but I can bump it and its seems like everything still moves fine. I was thinking maybe it jumped time?

Scro
08-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Was it smoking at all before it lost power? Any shavings in the oil? Since the kicker froze up, it sounds like the crank to me. I would tear into it and if top end looks good, you know it's the crank.

I wouldn't bump it anymore. Something's not right, and bumping it may cause more damage.

Nick110
08-27-2009, 04:14 PM
No smoke at all, no shaving in the oil either. I only bumped it once. Ill check the top end this weekend.

While im on that subject, How can I make sure its timed right? Because my crank gear is stamped wrong from the factory.

Scro
08-27-2009, 04:26 PM
You can use the marks on the flywheel. If flywheel marks line up, cam tower lines with sprocket, and exhaust lobes are pointing up and back, you should be timed correctly.

Being out of time isn't going to make the kicker lock up, I don't think. Seems like it would have to jump a whole lot for the valves to be hitting the piston (locking it up). But if it did, the valve is will be trashed.

Nick110
08-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks Dustin, Ill check it out sometime soon. I just dont have the time I use to between work and well work. Welcome to life right.

Scro
08-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Yea, tell me about it.