PDA

View Full Version : questions about 450r

spence500
08-27-2009, 01:40 PM
I was offered a trade for my snowmobile for an 04 450r. i was reading through the forums and notice that they have some problems with the cranks, is this a problem that can be fixed or something that when fixed might or will go bad agian. Or would i be better off looking for something a little newer that i wouldnt have to wrench all the time. I dont plan on doing any racing just mostly trail riding. Thanks

Johnny B
08-27-2009, 09:05 PM
i have had my 04 sence 04 haha, i was the first person to buy a 450 from my dealer. i ride the piss outa my quad and never had any kind of enging falure, point is is that not all 04-05 450's had the crank issue. i do take very good care of my quad, but i still ride harder than a lot. if you do decide to trade, and do have a problem with the crank, there are many good companys which make very good quality bearings, which you should never have to replace again.

sparks 450
08-27-2009, 10:35 PM
same for my o4 trx i have had since 04 no problems with anything at all.

kawabunga
08-28-2009, 08:50 AM
My 04 never threw the crank bearings, but I had them replaced this last spring anyway during a rebuild.

Stiles86
08-28-2009, 10:03 AM
04-05 450r's were the best quads ever made, i shuld have kept mine! never had a problem

MX450
08-28-2009, 10:13 AM
The year doesnt really matter as they are all very similar, and all great bikes. Yes the 04-05 had some crank issues, but alot didnt as well. Just look at the bike. How clean is it? How well was it maintained? Look at the air filter, chain, sprockets, has the engine been rebuilt.. ect see what is worn down and you can get a good idea of how much maintinance you will be doing. If its in good shape to start with and your just doing trail riding, as long as you keep your air filter clean, your oil changed, valves in spec ect then you will have many hours of fun riding on a good reliable bike. If your picking up a bike thats been threw hell and back, then you can count on wrenching. But generaly NO, you will not be wrenching on these bikes, regardless of the year.

Just look the bike over real good, ask questions, you can tell if something is a piece or if its nice.

spence500
08-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the info, the bike looks pretty clean, and looks like it has been maintaned fairly well. I just wanted to hear from all you guys that had been around them for a while, im just kind of getting into it and right now i have a predator and am pretty happy with it, but its starting to cost way to much money to use my sled that mainly sits around and collects dust 9 months out of the year. I might go take another look at this thing.

Ruf Racing
08-29-2009, 07:23 AM
I don't want to discourage you from purchasing an older 450.
But if it has had no previous engine work, except to tear into it.
It will need some attention soon. If it is in good shape on the exterior, it would be a good trade. Good luck. :)