PDA

View Full Version : Axle Issue

Woogi
08-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Ok, well first off, I am looking forward to all the help you guys can supply.

So I have recently bought a 98(?) 300ex and I am having issues. I have just bought a new carrier/barrings and a whole host of other things, but when I went to install the axle I noticed that I seem to have about 1/2 inch to an inch of slack in the axle (sliding) There is an aftermarket axle installed (will post many photos soon as camera is dead after taking the photos).

I am 99% sure that I reinstalled everything correctly. But just to verify:

(look at the rear end from behind, starting from the far left side)

Wheel Hub----retaining ring--sprocket holder--carrier--Rear brake caliber holder--Large C Ring (holding carrier in)--brake disc hub--brake disc--locking nut--retaining ring--wheel hub

everything goes together well, but when I put the locking nut on there is about an 1" or so gap between the nut and the retaining ring if i slid the axle to the left ('driver side') everything seems to 'tighten up' but now there is a gap by the sprocket.

I hope this makes since I will post photos later.

Got any suggestions?

Also any mod can delete me double post in the previous section.

BM@Ronayers
08-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Here is a downloadable service manual for ya. This should help

http://www.mediafire.com/?wgxoedddmyj

Woogi
08-27-2009, 11:45 AM
yeah, I looked @ it last night and I feel everything is installed correctly.

BM@Ronayers
08-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Check out bottom of page 14-10 and top of 14-11. Do you have the outer nut tightened so the the snap ring is covered up and the threaded section is against the rotor hud? If you do not tighten it far enough there will be a big gap.

Woogi
08-27-2009, 02:32 PM
AH, I think I was uninformed, so the Lock nut is THREE pieces, I though it was only two. I will check that out tonight!

Tommy Warren
08-27-2009, 10:31 PM
yeah 99% sure thats your problem.