PDA

View Full Version : To jet kit or Not to jet kit?

Yurshia
08-26-2009, 08:40 PM
That is the question.

After reading atleast 50 pages worth of posts on jettting and how to jet properly. I wanted to know if any of you helpfull people could recommend a jet KIT or shall i buy bits and peices to find what i need. Honestly would love to get a kit and be done with it, but the kits i keep finding ( moose , fmf, dyno) are all different sizes compared to Keihin jets. Keihin seem to be the jets most your and recommend.

Im sure this subjet is beat to death but with the odd serch REQ's here i cant seem to find what im looking for.

As Always thanks to all those that reply and help the confused people like me.

Ps: Anyone reccomend a Kit or know if Keihin sells a Kit?

RaginRedneck
08-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Buying a DynoJet kit is no big deal, you just have to know the conversion to Keihn jets. On one of jet threads there is a conversion chart. I run Dynojets in mine, but I just tell people what jets I have based upon Keihn numbers since it seems to translate a little easier.

If you just made some changes and need to rejet, and you don't plan any other changes soon, I would just get an idea where you should be from other posts and buy one jet up and down from your best guess.

Good Luck!!

TRXRacer1
08-26-2009, 08:49 PM
A kit for a 2001 is completely pointless. You're going to buy a needle and a bunch of mains you don't need and it won't address the low end. You have a good adjustable needle and only need a pilot or 2 and a few mains. Total cost would be around $20 from RMATV or jetsRus.

honda400ex2003
08-26-2009, 08:51 PM
i think jetsrus has a kit that is all keihin jets. otherwise there is a conversion chart too for the dynojets and such. i have a dynojet kit but i dont have it in right now since i did not want to buy the jet i needed online when i could go in town and get a keihin from the dealer for 5 bucks. it is nice to have different jets in the kit though if you plan to do a mod or two at a time since you will be changing the jetting everytime you do something to modify your intake or exhaust. just my .02 though, alot of people will say to just buy the jets themselves. it comes down to if you want to spend the 50 bucks on the kit or keep buying jets online or from the dealership. good luck choosing, lol, steve

Goob
08-26-2009, 09:17 PM
I bought a keihan jet kit on jetsrus it comes with 150 to 200 I believe and comes with four screws for the bottom of the carb cause the stock ones strip easy

honda400ex2003
08-26-2009, 09:47 PM
that would be a nice kit if all of those are included. the dj kit only has 20 in it or so with a needle and clip to hold it. i would look into the jets r us stuff if you want a kit. steve

08-27-2009, 03:24 AM
go to www.jetsrus.com and read their faq on jets and jetting, then order their kit

TRXRacer1
08-27-2009, 06:24 AM
Seems like nobody else is getting it so I'll spell it out for you.

A Dyno Jet kit is going to run you about $40+. You'll get a needle you don't need, a bunch of mains you'll never use and an instruction sheet that you can download online for free. It also won't address the low end at all so if you want your carb tip top you'll be ordering more parts.

A JetsRus kit isn't as offensive @ $30 but still gives you jets you'll almost certainly won't need and 4 screws that any decent hardware store would have if you ever did need them. Most likely you won't. This kit still offers nothing for the low end.

Some quick price shopping will bring you to RMATV. For $23.37 you can pick out a 40 pilot jet (if you know where your mixture screw is this will give you a very wide range of adjustability) and 9 mains ranging from 150-170. If you want to expand your collection even more then the mains are only 2.24 each and if someone talks you into a 42 pilot it's going to run you another 3.21.

Hopefully you can see what the best deal is here. If you needed a needle then I might recommend a kit but you don't so don't be suckered into paying for crap you don't need and the luxury of someone else picking out jets that you can pick out for yourself.

my complete 2 cents. :chinese:

honda400ex2003
08-27-2009, 09:49 AM
see now for me the kit would make the most sense for 30 since you get a ton of jets and all instead of a bunch that are seperate. the kit is in a box and has compartments for each. much easier to work with and remember where it is instead of having jets seperate. plus you only have to order jets once instead of doing mods in the future and then having to get more jets if needed and paying shipping or driving to get them. just my .02 though, steve

TRXRacer1
08-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
plus you only have to order jets once instead of doing mods in the future and then having to get more jets if needed and paying shipping or driving to get them. just my .02 though, steve What are you talking about? You're not capable of ordering all your jet up front without someone picking them out for you? If I only knew 15 years ago how many people couldn't figure it out without a kit I would have gotten in the kit business myself.

honda400ex2003
08-27-2009, 12:03 PM
you are getting 9 jets and a pilot for 23.37 w/o shipping for the extra 7 bucks he could have a whole kit w/o shipping and he has just about every jet he could possibly need ever. no more reordering or going back to a dealer or anything after doing mods. so you do the math and decide for yourself what you would like to do. i am unsubscribed now. steve

F-16Guy
08-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Yurshia
That is the question.

After reading atleast 50 pages worth of posts on jettting and how to jet properly. I wanted to know if any of you helpfull people could recommend a jet KIT or shall i buy bits and peices to find what i need. Honestly would love to get a kit and be done with it, but the kits i keep finding ( moose , fmf, dyno) are all different sizes compared to Keihin jets. Keihin seem to be the jets most your and recommend.

Im sure this subjet is beat to death but with the odd serch REQ's here i cant seem to find what im looking for.

As Always thanks to all those that reply and help the confused people like me.

Ps: Anyone reccomend a Kit or know if Keihin sells a Kit?
List your mods and we can get you in the ball park for jetting without buying a kit with a bunch of jets you'll never use. Kits are a ripoff about 90% of the time. Most people do a few mods, rejet for them, and if done properly, should never have to be messed with again.

TRXRacer1
08-27-2009, 01:21 PM
you are getting 9 jets and a pilot for 23.37 w/o shipping for the extra 7 bucks he could have a whole kit w/o shipping and he has just about every jet he could possibly need ever. no more reordering or going back to a dealer or anything after doing mods. so you do the math and decide for yourself what you would like to do. i am unsubscribed now. steve Steve , you are proof that no matter how bright the light is some people can't see it. I'll try one more time though. The jetsRus kit has no pilot jet. I see you're still running the 38 that is borderline lean for a stock machine and that's your decision. If he wanted to do it right though he'd would be up to $36.09. They only offer 1 more main then I suggested so if he really wanted it he could add it in for 2.24 bringing him to a total of $25.61. Now if you think 4 bowl screws are worth the extra 10.48 then I once again say I should have got into the jet kit business a long time ago.

Also the package I suggested was for a noob, if you're on the experienced side you could cut the costs down even more.

Goob
08-27-2009, 01:54 PM
What main would. You recommend for a 09 400x w hmf sport series full exhaust k&n filter lid on 42 pilot choke removed It runs best to me with a 152 does that sound about right

Yurshia
08-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Thank you all so much for the help.

Current mods are 426cc 11:1 compression, hot cam stage 2, k&n filter / drycharger, K&N power lid / Drycharger(yeah i like to swim sometimes) Droped 1 tooth on front sprocket and run pump gas. Get quad back from shop monday.

Planing to rejet it then, and 2 weeks from now i will pick up my HMF exhaust system and rejet it then also.

Thanks again for everyone being so damn helpfull on here, makes life easier on people like me.

honda400ex2003
08-27-2009, 09:36 PM
ok trx the jets from jets r us are 2.89 a piece, there are 9 in the kit so this comes out to 26.01. i was going off of this quote.

(Goob) I bought a keihan jet kit on jetsrus it comes with 150 to 200 I believe and comes with four screws for the bottom of the carb cause the stock ones strip easy

i understood this as being 21 jets. every jet between 150 and 200. at 2.89 a piece this is 60.69. plus 6.09 for a pilot each. when i read that quote above i assume this is the deal. this compared to 30 for a whole kit! see where i am going. I did not check this quote out myself right away since i believed him. I was sadly mistaken when i actually looked at the jets r us site and found that there are only 9 jets in the kit. so now your 26.01 is without the 4 screws and without shipping. it is a better deal when you include only 9 of the 21 jets. you have to look at that way and the way i was looking at it. i did not look at the kit itself so i assumed 21 jets. be my guest and get whatever you like. for the 3 bucks it is up to you i am sure it is not going to break you no matter what you do. steve

novak8
09-11-2009, 02:11 PM
im running a 38 pilot and a 175 main..idk if i should rejet it with the mods i have one it (in my signature) if i should, what would be the better choise for a kit, FMF or Dynojet..i found them both for exactly the same price just dont know whih ones better.

katch26
09-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by novak8
im running a 38 pilot and a 175 main..idk if i should rejet it with the mods i have one it (in my signature) if i should, what would be the better choise for a kit, FMF or Dynojet..i found them both for exactly the same price just dont know whih ones better.

thats cause theyre the same. Most jets kits regardless of label are DJ kits. Anything will get the job done but I prefer to use manufacturers jets in my carbs....keihin for a keihin, mikuni for a mikuni

f4iracer
10-23-2009, 07:41 AM
that would be a nice kit if all of those are included. the dj kit only has 20 in it or so with a needle and clip to hold it. i would look into the jets r us stuff if you want a kit. steve

could somebvody link to a "kit"

I don't see any kits on that site anywhere, i clicked the link for jets and jet kits but like i said there are no kits.

Also, if you click on the 400ex link when you got the jets by model page. The 400ex link is busted, so u can't even find what you need on that site!

They lost my business just due to the fact that the site was too hard to navigate because the 400ex page was down and i coudln't find any kits.

I went to the stealership.

10-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by f4iracer
could somebvody link to a "kit"

I don't see any kits on that site anywhere, i clicked the link for jets and jet kits but like i said there are no kits.

Also, if you click on the 400ex link when you got the jets by model page. The 400ex link is busted, so u can't even find what you need on that site!

They lost my business just due to the fact that the site was too hard to navigate because the 400ex page was down and i coudln't find any kits.

I went to the stealership.

i got it to work...took me 15 seconds tops to get there...must be a problem on your end...not theirs

to help you navigate the site...click the jets and jet kits link, choose atv, then choose the 400ex link a little way down the page,

f4iracer
10-25-2009, 02:35 PM
they fixed it apparently, i tried numerous times over several days.

It was a site error, nothing on my end.

10-25-2009, 04:35 PM
that is odd as i was on the site several times over the last several days myself, since i was considering buying a 450r carb or an fcr carb for my ex...never had an issue fubnding what i needed