PDA

View Full Version : rev box

ed221
08-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Hi ,
I have been lurking in the forum for a little while now. It's a great site with a lot of good info.

I have an '08 EX that I absolutely love. It's great in the woods. I've been looking to modify it a little bit. Started out with a K&N air filter and I purchased a rev box.

I have two questions:
1. When I am going at VERY low speed and pin the throddle, the bike stalls. It runs fine the rest of the time. I never noticed this before, could that be from the K&N filter install?

2. Dumb question, where is the rev box located and how do you install it? Does someone have pictures on how to remove it? What plastics do you remove?

Thanks for the help.
Love the site,
Ed

matt14c
08-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Not sure on the 08 models but the rev box on the older ones is right up front mounted on the upper shock mount bar. On those you dont have to remove fenders but again not sure about the 08's. As far removal. The box is in a rubber boot. Just slide it out and then it plugs in. Very simple!

For the stalling if you didnt rejet your carb after KN install thats your problem.

08-27-2009, 03:29 AM
rev boxes are a waste of money, the extra rpms really don't make a big difference and they cause srarting issues...

as far as the stalling, if you did not rejet for the filter, then that is your problem...you are lean and lean is bad

katch26
08-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
rev boxes are a waste of money, the extra rpms really don't make a big difference and they cause srarting issues...

as far as the stalling, if you did not rejet for the filter, then that is your problem...you are lean and lean is bad

ehh it depends. If youre running a drop in K&N with closed box it really wouldnt matter too too much I would lean more towards a loose airbox connection somewhere

F-16Guy
08-27-2009, 12:23 PM
The flame arrestor on the stock filter is pretty restrictive. The K&N is probably making you a bit too lean. Try opening up your fuel screw 1/4 - 1/2 turn and see if that helps. You may also want to shim the needle by removing it and installing a thin washer under the clip to raise the needle up a little. That will richen the mixture slightly from about 1/8th throttle to 3/4 throttle.

As far as the rev box goes, return it if you can. It's not going to have much effect on a stock bike. Spend that money on something more useful.

ed221
08-28-2009, 06:42 PM
OK, so I installed the stock filter and the bike did the same thing. I'm running almost to a stall then pin the throttle and that is when it stalls out. After that, I reinstalled the K&N and the rev box, ran the bike for 1/2 hour with no problems. The bike ran like a raped ape; more throttle response and a bit more bottom end and mid range...me like a lot!

I think the bike is good. It was just my fault for running it almost to a stall. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your input,
Ed

Ryan'07400ex
08-30-2009, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by ed221
OK, so I installed the stock filter and the bike did the same thing. I'm running almost to a stall then pin the throttle and that is when it stalls out. After that, I reinstalled the K&N and the rev box, ran the bike for 1/2 hour with no problems. The bike ran like a raped ape; more throttle response and a bit more bottom end and mid range...me like a lot!

I think the bike is good. It was just my fault for running it almost to a stall. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your input,
Ed

I'd say the almost letting it stall then pinning it is ur problem not jetting. You can't do that to your engine and it be positive, go from 1000rpm's with it about to stall out and then cram it to 10,000rpms. I think you'll be fine if you just increase slowly from the almost stalling.
Or does it do this when it has been running a while or a couple minutes after start up... you may just need to give it some more time to warm up before crammin it. Cause once you switched to the kn and rev box it was warmed up some.