PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a bolt kit

Melton69
08-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Hello,

I am getting ready to put my R build all back together and am wanting to get a COMPLETE bolt kit to replace the rusty stockers. I would prefer stainless steel. The one that I have been looking at is by The Fastener Guy on Ebay. Does anyone have any experience with his kits?

I have also looked at totallystainless but I dont see a complete kit for the R so I would have to order every bolt individually.

Thanks for any and all help!

-Melton

rigger
08-26-2009, 06:14 PM
I was going to do a SS bolt kit for my R project as well but many guys here recommended not to use one. And with all the SS hardware that I use at work, I can understand why.

I have some SS on mine but not much.

250Renvy
08-26-2009, 08:08 PM
I have to agree about not using a stainless kit. They are nice to look at but they are POS IMO. I had some troubles getting bolts in and ended up bending two after using a little force.

However they are very complete, almost every bolt is included.

If you do decide to get one, I would still recommend getting the hardened steel, zinc plated bolts for shocks, a-arms and linkage.

Melton69
08-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Okay, good advice.

Do you know of anyone who sells a complete kit with hardened steel zinc plated hardware?

86 Quad R
08-27-2009, 07:58 AM
stainless are ok to use for fasteners but i wouldnt dare use em on any of the suspention areas.

destey
08-27-2009, 08:08 AM
bought a stainless motor bolt kit and it looks less shiny than Zn plated.

Combine that with the fact that 10.8 or even 8.8 is way way stronger, no reason to use weak stainless.

Melton69
08-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Where can I buy a zinc-plated set?

thedeatons
08-27-2009, 11:42 AM
I have the Fastener Guy's complete kit on the quad in my sig.... Lots of dune riding and long dune jumps, and no problems yet. I think I have maybe 12 original steel bolts left on the quad, everything else is his polished stainless. Even the suspension.

He is the BEST guy to deal with. He sent me so many extras because of my out-of-the-ordinary frame/suspension setup. Great communication, great seller.

I recommend getting thread checkers form McMaster Carr, measuring/checking each bolt/screw you have, then ordering them.

There is a chance the Fastener Guy will provide you a list of all the fasteners needed on a stock 250R framed build. If you ask nicely! That or he may be able to supply steel product!

James