PDA

View Full Version : (sLoW)--KFX450R

zjmr51
08-26-2009, 01:41 PM
I just bought a 08 KFX450R. its all stock. and only been rode maybe 8 hours... But this thing is weak.. It cant even compare to my YFZ450 or my buddies 450R honda. This thing should not even be called a 450 if its gonna be this slow!
I dont think a pipe and programmer and fliter can help one out that much???

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT WILL HELP THIS THING COME ALIVE!!! without having to do motorwork, cause i dont want to build it or tare it down while its new!

If i cant get this thing running with the yfz ill just stick with my YFZ450 and sale KFX450.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP GUYS!!!!
tell me what has worked for you or if anyone else has had this problem with these bikes!!

m0t0xk1d
08-26-2009, 02:07 PM
a good pipe and programmer is good bbut with a filter and new air box and air box tube it realy gives that thing power go to bcs performance.com and they have to good airbox/filter/airbox tube. the combo was used it dirtwheels and they said it really opened it up

quadboy-55
08-26-2009, 03:11 PM
for more power look into parts the factory kawi teams are running. Josh creamers KFX450R is running a Fuel Customs intake. that has one of the biggest openings i have ever seen, and will deffinatly wake up yorue KFX. a good programmer is annother thing you will need to reach optimum performance. kawasaki sells one as part of there accesories, or the next best is the Dynojet PClll or PCV. a good exhast is one of the bigger differences. DMC duallies, or the Procircuit T-4 full systems used by the factory teams will help alot.

i also heard good about the Yoshimura RS-2 on a KFX450R

zjmr51
08-26-2009, 05:56 PM
THANKS for the info GUYS, KEEP IT COMING!!!
--ANY PLACES I CAN FIND SOME SHOOT OUT ARTICALS TO SEE WHICH PIPE AND PROGRAMER IS IMPROVING THE POWER THE MOST??
--WHERE CAN I FIND THE DETAILS ON WHAT THE TEAM KAWI IS RUNNING ON THEIR RACE BIKES??
--do u think pipe,programer,intake, and filter will make it run with the yfz that have pipe and filter and been jetted?? or will it take all this to get it to just run with the stock yfz......

i ran the stock kfx450 against my yfz with a curtissparks full sys, jetted, and filter.. and yfz is beating the kfx450 by 8 bike lenghts ATLEAST... soon as u hit 2nd gear yfz is gone!!

:eek2:

zjmr51
08-26-2009, 06:37 PM
What about the full sys from MOTOWORKS and their programer??
anyone ran this brand on their KFX or have any info on someone who has....

any brand of pipe and programer is not gonna be cheap, THATS why im trying to find out wich is the best combo before i drob a GRAND on bolt on performance parts!! :(

m0t0xk1d
08-26-2009, 06:55 PM
like said previously the ti 4 system works great for a pipe just like the factory teams runs. another good system is the motoworks. joe haavistao runs it in the neatv pro open class and he is the guy to beat winning the points this year and last year. with theis good stuff it will blow away the yfz

k4f5x0r
08-26-2009, 07:29 PM
the reason the kfx seems so slow outta the box is because the stock intake is SO restrictive. get a powercommander a decent exhaust(motoworks,DASA,pro circuit. any good company really) and then the fuel customs intake. with those main 3 things and a good map(either getting it dyno'd or a decent map from dynojet's website) and youll have a whole different beast.

for anymore info go to kfx450hq.com theres alot more helpful guys over there with alot more info then me. ;)

zjmr51
08-27-2009, 11:06 AM
TTT

quadboy-55
08-27-2009, 11:26 AM
im not tooo sure about "blow" away a YFZ with those mods, so keep in mind that it is a 450 with JUST a pipe, filter and PClll. in other words it will be close to any other 450 with identical mods. even it it is faster, not by a long shot.

aDviSol2y
08-28-2009, 08:46 AM
My brother in-law has the '08 KFX with the power commander, yoshi, intake and my 416 blows him away untill the top of 5th. And I have stock gearing on mine. If I put a 16t sprocket on the front, we would proabably be pretty even.

BLU82
08-28-2009, 01:17 PM
I bet tires are part of the problem. The stockers are nothing to write home about. The gearing on the kawi is also quite low.

headache
08-28-2009, 01:21 PM
sell the kawi and keep the yfz... Then go buy a 250r!

aDviSol2y
08-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by BLU82
I bet tires are part of the problem. The stockers are nothing to write home about. The gearing on the kawi is also quite low.

You would thinkthat if the KFX had really low gearing, it would do good off the line, not suck balls! My bro in-law has RAZR's and he dropped a tooth in the front. So if anything, I would think that it has too high of gearing.

BLU82
08-28-2009, 04:44 PM
idk then. Mine doesnt seem to have a going slow problem, atleast not in my mind. Sorry I cant help.

k4f5x0r
08-29-2009, 08:40 AM
i love how people think drag racing determines if a quad is good or not.

Yes the kawi is slower on the top end then some of the other quads(a hair slower then suzuki and honda) but thats because its gearing is SO low.whenever there is a nice long trail that you need to cruise in 5th gear on, it feels as if the kawi needs a 6th gear. thats the only thing that i dislike about mine but hell, i hate drag racing, i dont like straight lines :p

at the mx track on 20's, the stock gearing is perfect. you never have to worry about shifting down in most turns(im in 3rd the entire track) because it can lug that gear until it gets to the rpm to start ripping.

Ryanwolfe911
08-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by k4f5x0r

Yes the kawi is slower on the top end then some of the other quads(a hair slower then suzuki and honda) but thats because its gearing is SO low.whenever there is a nice long trail that you need to cruise in 5th gear on, it feels as if the kawi needs a 6th gear. thats the only thing that i dislike about mine but hell, i hate drag racing, i dont like straight lines :p

at the mx track on 20's, the stock gearing is perfect. you never have to worry about shifting down in most turns(im in 3rd the entire track) because it can lug that gear until it gets to the rpm to start ripping.

I agree. Kawasaki built that quad with XC in mind, not effing drag racing or top speed. YOu do need to modify it quite a bit if you decide to MX the thing. It's just not set up for it.

k4f5x0r
08-30-2009, 12:38 PM
i ride mine mx and its all stock(besides tires) and bar risers. mine does great on the track. once you dial in the suspension its pretty good.

aDviSol2y
08-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by k4f5x0r

Obviously you can't read! In my post I said I tought the bike was geared too high! The only time I ever dragged against the KFX 450 was in the sand. And I smoked it off the line and all through the gears untill the top of 5th. Then it over took me. The 450 I was up against had dropped a tooth and I believe 22" tires because we were in sand. Never did I say the bike was too low geared. This is my reasoning for the bike not having that great of power. And on another note, if they designed the bike for the track, why would they give it reverse?

quadboy-55
08-31-2009, 12:07 PM
the Kawi does do good in the XC, but remember all the kawi 450 ads? they advratized it on a MX track, they wanted it to be an all around quad, much like the YFZ, but they tried to make it better, with EFI (not a fan really on a quad) and an aluminum frame (but Can-am did it better) they didnt exactly hit the nail on the head with the KFX450R as much as they wanted to, they added reverse fr XC, true, and according to dirtwheels, it works on a MX track too... although its rare you need it there.

zjmr51
08-31-2009, 08:58 PM
well i took out the KFX450 this weekend for my first time riding it in the woods on our trails back home we got cut out for a practice loop for GNCC. Let my buddy ride my YFZ450 so i could switch out and compare...
kfx has great throttle response with EFI... but that dont do any good if it dont have the power once u give it gas! I didnt like how freely the steering is, which a stabilizer would fix this prob. Also on the long down hill parts of the trail IT DID NOT WANT TO HOLD BACK AT ALL!!!! felt like i was gonna eat up the front breaks to get it to slow down.... on climbing LONG STEEP hills it feels short like the honda 450r and u can sling it where u want it... but it dont have the pep that the YFZ has as far as reving really quick, kinda feels like it was bogging down time u got to the top of a REALLY STEEP HILL and was in a tight spot where u had to let off gas for a sec and get back on it! Also feels a little top heavy to me compared to the YFZ. I switched out and rode my YFZ and i believe i will KEEP THE YFZ and sale the KFX....

The KFX has its goods and bad just like the YFZ but i prefer the YFZ....

THe KFX could have a lot of potential if u was willing to spend the money to set it up a little better, but im not so sure about the all aluminum frame holding up and not striping out where bolts are threaded in it, because u cant get to the nuts inside the frame on certain places!! Also the EFI.. NOT A BIG FAN of this, b/c if it messes up in the woods good luck trying to work on it!! b/c they sure dont give u room to get to anything on the carb/efi on this thing...

DIE HARD KAWI FANS:
ANYONE LOOKING FOR A KFX450R i got a 08 white and black i will sale for $4800 obo
LIKE BRAND NEW!!!
proarmor full length rear swingarm skid, TAG full belly skid, BRAND NEW NEVER RODE ON ITP WHEELS AND MXR6 tires.. 20x10 front/18x9 rear (yes never rode on b/c i used my buddys tires to ride it in woods the other day..

LOCATED IN COOKEVILLE, TN 38501

zjmr51
08-31-2009, 09:12 PM
for a stock bike it did ok... the main part that i wish KAWI would have improved on was the power stock... compared to all the other brands straight off the show room floor... KAWI CAME OUT WITH THIS KFX450 4 YEARS AFTER THE OTHER 450'S where introduced... so they should be on the ball and have everything just about right especially running with or if not leaving the others behind.. and they are not the first for the aluminum frame nor the EFI.... so this bike should be one of the BEST compared to all the other brands rolling off the show room floor!!

WHO KNOWS maybe the grand on (pipe,programmer,filter,intake) will make this thing become a beast and out run its competition... but i cant afford to take that chance when i have a yfz that is paid for and feels better to me. IF I DIDNT ALREADY HAVE THE YFZ I WOULD KEEP THE KFX AND GIVE IT A SHOT AND RIDE LIKE NO TOMORROW...

BUT THERE IS DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS... so make your own choices my friends!

aDviSol2y
09-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by hondarider11
You guys can cry about the kfx being slow all you want but check out the pro/pro am results and see what is on top. In the pamx series the kawis are doing great in A,B,C too.

Do you know how much money those fools have in their bikes? When your talking pro, its not the bike, its the rider! The average Joe does not have 100k to put into his bike. All your statement proves is that Kawi has some good riders under contract!

zjmr51
09-01-2009, 06:35 PM
ya.. pros have a lot more done besides(pipe,filter,intake,programer) they got 6 k in motor easy!!!

Ryanwolfe911
09-02-2009, 05:54 AM
Here we go with this "I hate EFI" bull****. EFI is the best thing to happen to atv's in 20 years, other than the addition of the 4th wheel.

cheater13
09-02-2009, 02:11 PM
i was wanderen if these things were slow. :D now i know my answer

4wheelinmatt
09-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Power isnt everything these days. With how well the KFX handles, you shouldnt have any problem keeping up with any other 450 out there. Slap an intake, programmer and a 15t front sprocket and i bet it will beat the YFZ of yours.

aDviSol2y
09-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Read my post jackass. A kawi cleaned up C,B, almost A, pro am. There is no such thing as factory CBA riders so think before you post next time.

Just because you got proven wrong, doesn't mean you have to get hostile! Sorry that I don't spend my whole life knowing everything about every class of racing, and the riders in those calsses. My point is still valid. The bikes in these races have a lot of money put into them, so trying convince those of us who beleive the KFX 450 is underpowered otherwise by giving us race results, is not a good argument. Getting technical about nit picky *****, will not help your argument either!

Kevslatvin
09-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
Just because you got proven wrong, doesn't mean you have to get hostile! Sorry that I don't spend my whole life knowing everything about every class of racing, and the riders in those calsses. My point is still valid. The bikes in these races have a lot of money put into them, so trying convince those of us who beleive the KFX 450 is underpowered otherwise by giving us race results, is not a good argument. Getting technical about nit picky *****, will not help your argument either!

I think in a sense you may both be right. The KFX450 may be underpowered from the factory. The race results (Pro's excluded) show that with the right mods which of course cost money it has the potential to be a winning machine.

aDviSol2y
09-08-2009, 08:26 AM
I got proven wrong? I am pretty sure I didn't. Go to a big mx race like a pamx race and see who is out in front. It doesn't bother me becuae I ride a honda but there is a reason kawi is up in the front in almost every class and that reason isn't becuase it is slow. If you guys weren't cheap then you could have the same powerful quad they have.

If I wasnt cheap? Do you know what it take to support a family? How about own a home, put a wife through college, or better yet, provide the best for a 2 year old child? Didn't think so.

zjmr51
09-15-2009, 01:35 PM
WOW..
didnt mean to cause a fight over this topic. LOL
-sounds like we need to get u all some boxing gloves and throw DOWN:eek2:

-- TICKETS for sale :devil:
whens ROUND 1??? lol

either way, the sports not cheap but bottom line is the yfz will beat the kfx pretty bad stock to stock!!

and the mods to YFZ really helped it...
so the same mods to the KFX will help it no dobt, BUT it will prob be behind the yamaha just like if they were STOCK BIKES AGAIN??

the point is... that i have already put $$$ into yamaha and it runs good..
BUT there is no point in me putting another GRAND into KFX doing all the same stuff if its not going to be any faster than what i already HAVE!!!

i was hopeing to get a new bike, with a different look and hope that it would be faster than yfz if i did put all the money into it.

but no one knows, so i dont want to chance it... and miss my yfz after i sale it!! b/c i couldnt get kfx to run faster for reasonable price, and start having problems with stuff breaking..
both bikes are paid for and not hurting anything setting in garage, so ill figure something out i guess.

Kevslatvin
09-15-2009, 05:14 PM
zjmr51. Is your bike the white KFX on LSN?

zjmr51
09-21-2009, 08:48 PM
YES IT IS!!
u need to buy it :)
lowered PRICE today.. :D :eek2:

Kevslatvin
09-21-2009, 11:29 PM
I'd like to, but I don't have any cash right now.