PDA

View Full Version : Loose cam chain?

arctic freeze
08-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi guys, so after fixing the stalling problem I have only had it out for about 45 minutes and have noticed a more disturbing problem. At low rpm, idle just after idle you can hear a light knocking noise that seems to be coming from the right side of the engine. I know the cam chain is there but the noise seems to be coming from the bottom end, although I think it might be coming from the bottom and top end hence I was wondering what a loose cam chain would sound like. Does not sound like ticking valves for sure. I guess it could be pretty much anything, worn bearings worn piston or wall causing it to slap a bit..hhmm wish I had heard it before I bought it..lol.
Any thoughts?

cataway
08-28-2009, 03:41 AM
your only going to get just so much life out of a chain,its true that a mcct will get you more usage out of it and is the quick fix for the noise ,you can also have the acct turned down on a lathe which will give you maybe 4 more clicks .
changing the chain is of coarse the answer

arctic freeze
08-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks, always helpful and you're right it should be replaced before it breaks. I just hope its the chain that's making the noise and not a crank bearing.

cataway
08-28-2009, 06:06 PM
are you finding metal in the oil filter ?

arctic freeze
08-28-2009, 07:34 PM
i changed the oil when i bought it a few weeks ago and did not notice any metal in the filter or oil...although i'm not sure the knock was there until i rode it for half an hour to be honest...

pitkendall
08-29-2009, 10:29 AM
pull the chain tensioner and count the number of clicks left on it if its maxed out then it needs a chain for sure thats the easy way to find out

arctic freeze
08-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Well I pulled it out today...uummm I doubt it's ever been changed..lol..thing has 0 I repeat 0 clicks left. So I will order a chain and try and install it..lol.
Have a great week end guys!

knoxville9
08-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Did you remove the bolt in the center first and then the two allan heads? if not then you did it wrong just wondering cuz it could save you some money if its not the problem I've had some buddies do it

arctic freeze
08-29-2009, 07:58 PM
yes i removed the center bolt first, if i didn't the spring would have pushed the tensioner all the way out.

knoxville9
08-29-2009, 08:08 PM
yea explain that to my buddies haha

arctic freeze
08-29-2009, 08:27 PM
lol..uummm well when there is no resistance the spring seems to push the mechanism all the way out, i know that because I wanted to put the spring and nut back in before putting the entire unit back in as that is way easier then trying to thread the nut in against the force of the spring when you have left the little oil resevoir on...lol.

cataway
08-30-2009, 05:34 AM
changing the chain is not a big deel but it does involve taking off the right side to get the clutch off, and i'v been told you dont have to take off the head but i have never done it that way,i have all ways removed the head.

arctic freeze
08-30-2009, 07:14 AM
I'll let you know how I make out, probably be two weeks before I get the part though.

cataway
08-30-2009, 09:43 AM
i would like to recommend that you get the D I D chain

arctic freeze
08-30-2009, 10:01 AM
I did.