PDA

View Full Version : Oil Dipstick Threads?

VTredneckgames
08-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Does anyone know what kind of threads are on the oil dipstick? Or can anyone check for me? Im thinking of trying to build my own temperature gauge dipstick. Pipe plug + Basting Thermometer. Cheap enough to try. Especially when the Xrs Only ones are $56. Figured I would try and then post up results.

Which 450?
08-26-2009, 12:56 PM
I think it is its own thing, they are very course threads for the size it is.

VTredneckgames
08-26-2009, 01:17 PM
I hope not, but that wont be that big of a deal. I would have to do some lathe work though. I'll try to check tomorrow evening to see if I can find anything like it.

If it is commonly used, it would have to be metric, and probably not a pipe type thread (since it seals with an o-ring).

Pipeless416
08-26-2009, 03:39 PM
it wouldn't be pretty, but what if you bought an extra stock dip stick and basically only used the cap and threaded part of it.. somehow drill a hole for the thermometer or something.

VTredneckgames
08-26-2009, 03:55 PM
thats plan B. lol

You can make it prettier with a little work. Either way it will be alot cheaper than $56

TRXRacer1
08-26-2009, 05:11 PM
I had a bung made for that dipstick on a custom frame I built a couple years ago. Can't remember what the thread is but it wasn't anything my machinist didn't have in his tool collection. It's not a one-off thing.

VTredneckgames
08-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Thats great news! Thanks.

VTredneckgames
09-16-2009, 11:33 AM
picked up a spare dipstick this weekend. Going to attempt it this coming weekend.

I just have to find a good thermometer with the right heat range that I want.

tri5ron
09-17-2009, 06:42 AM
as long as it goes up to 300, you'll be fine.
Looking forward to see your results.

I have the XR's Only on my quad, but I'd like to have a temp stick on my wife and daughters quads also.
I'd much prefer to make my own.

Keep us posted.

VTredneckgames
09-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Right now Im trying to figure out what range I need. Finding a good one that goes to 300 has been a problem.

But, 300 is a no no zone. So you really shouldnt need it. Im installing a spal fan and I will probably put on air scoops sometime. The scoops are mostly for the look. But of course I wont complain about additional cooling.

Most decent sized cooking probes stop at 220. Im curious where most people with Spal fans and the XRS only dipstick usually run. Ive had my ex hot before. I dont know how hot it really was, but it was noticeably hotter than usual.

My concern with the 220 probe is that I dont want to be operating at 230 all of the time and that being normal. But in my head, Id like to stay bt 190 - 210. But Im not very knowledgable about air cooled engines and their prefered temperatures.

VTredneckgames
09-17-2009, 10:58 AM
quoting honda400ex2003 "mine runs right around 200 to 220 F for oil temps. maybe 230 or 240 at the most. I have never had it up higher than that as far as I know"

That is with a 2003 416ex, p&p, Stage1 hotcam, 10:1, t-4 slip on. With Air scoops.

not sure if he runs a fan or not.

VTredneckgames
09-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Well, I crudely made one on friday.

I only say crudely because I didnt have the ability to drill directly in the center of the old dipstick.

I went against Tri's advice and used a temperature probe from walmart that only goes to 220F. Only because of the size, availability, and the looks of this one.

I dont have any pics yet, I want to do some changes to it. Its very crude, I simply took the stock dipstick, cut off the metal, drilled it, and jb welded it together. From the top it actually looks pretty good. For less than $10 it suits me perfectly. I'll probably clean it up some, I just wanted to make sure it would work.

Friday night we rode for a couple of hours. It was about 64 outside, and we were on a slow, rough, long trail. We did take several little breaks while riding, but my ex never got above 190. Even when I felt it was "getting hot" it would be at the 190 mark.

Just an FYI.

Im sure with longer riding in hotter weather it will get hotter, but thats what the spal fan is for. I have a fan, but Im going to wait until the spring to install it.

Im going to try to clean it up and post some pics of it this weekend.

triple b
09-22-2009, 10:34 AM
The XR 400 / 650R / 650L dip sitck has the same thread as a Briggs & Straton..... The guys on Thumpertalk modified B&S dipsick for there DIY temp guage.

Take your dipstick to a lawmower shop and see if thaty match up