PDA

View Full Version : so the truck has decided to...

tyyllleeeerrrrr
08-26-2009, 06:54 AM
my 97 chevy 1500 has decided to start leaking anti freeze. the jug is empty but the radiator is full. i cant find a hole in any hoses but there almost has to be?
there is a vent hose that i found out a/c fluid drains out of and i have noticed there has been quite alot of "fluid" coming out of it.

any ideas?

tri5ron
08-26-2009, 07:30 AM
'95 to '99 vortec 350 engines are notorious for the intake manifold gasket leaking at the right rear corner, (passenger side, rear of valve cover area).
You basically can not see the spot where it is coming from, because it is just forward of the firewall.

If you are noticing fluid on the ground just below the starter motor, or torque converter cover, that will be the problem.

I have a '97 Suburban 1500, (Ask me how I know this.....)

TCracin440ex
08-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
'95 to '99 vortec 350 engines are notorious for the intake manifold gasket leaking at the right rear corner, (passenger side, rear of valve cover area).
You basically can not see the spot where it is coming from, because it is just forward of the firewall.

If you are noticing fluid on the ground just below the starter motor, or torque converter cover, that will be the problem.

indeed you are right. i had a 98 that had the same problem. i had to have the whole intake rebuilt with all new gaskets and o-rings. talking bout a pita

if you dont have the money for a intake manifold rebuild id suggest getting a bottle of bars stop leak that should stop it up if it aint too bad already.

derekhonda
08-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron

Ding Ding, 96 1500 here(years ago), same problem.

fastredrider44
08-26-2009, 10:16 AM
97 1500 here, havent had that problem but I have had the plastic part of the radiator on the driver side start leaking. The first couple of times I noticed low fluid, I never saw a leak, but it kept getting worse, then I would notice it dripping. I took the radiator off and took it to a radiator repair shop and they replaced that tank, and cleaned out my radiator like new for about half the cost of a new standard radiator.

(Mine was going to be more for a new one because I have an internal oil cooler and an internal tranny cooler in mine)

Friend of mine has a 99 surburban, just recently had the intake gasket go on him at 210K.

TCracin440ex
08-26-2009, 11:31 AM
the vortechs are so bad for the intake gaskets shifting on them. they are a good running motor but seems like everybody has that common intake gasket shifting problem

Tommy Warren
08-26-2009, 07:28 PM
These broken Chevy threads are real popular....HMMMM i wonder why..:p :devil: :D :chinese:

DODGE the father RAM the daughter!

tyyllleeeerrrrr
08-26-2009, 07:51 PM
hahaa nice Tommy. Well I have came to the conclusion it is the water pump. Atleast I found something to do Saturday morning?lol

thanks guys

TCracin440ex
08-27-2009, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
These broken Chevy threads are real popular....HMMMM i wonder why..:p :devil: :D :chinese:

DODGE the father RAM the daughter!

dude why do you come on here and post this stupid **** in every chevy thread? i mean damn. his title didnt say truck decided to find a new home what should i get next so why dont u just STFU!!! dodges suck. their trannys are junk.

extremeblastr
08-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
dude why do you come on here and post this stupid **** in every chevy thread? i mean damn. his title didnt say truck decided to find a new home what should i get next so why dont u just STFU!!! dodges suck. their trannys are junk.

chevy fanyboy:rolleyes:

TCracin440ex
08-27-2009, 08:55 AM
dude your really not the one to talk, you was on a thread a while back aruging over honda vs a chevy cobalt so you can STFU too

extremeblastr
08-27-2009, 09:12 AM
dude your really not the one to talk, you was on a thread a while back aruging over honda vs a chevy cobalt so you can STFU too

temper temper, i simply stated that the cobalt was a better buy then spending the same amount of money on an older honda and proceeded to back up what i said. i didn't however jump on the chevy bandwagon and hate on everybody who likes anything besides a bowtie. its all fine and dandy to be brand loyal but when someone makes a joke its time to chuckle and move on with the conversation not be a straight up dbag to the guy who made the joke. so with that said take your narrowminded views of vehicles and shove it where the sun don't shine because nobody wants to hear you whine about how that guy said something bad about chevy.

derekhonda
08-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Same **** different day.

Who cares. My 96 chevy was a damn good truck, and I had to replace the intake gasket. My 98 ram was a damn good truck, and I had all sorts of problems with it. Now my 05 chevy is a damn good truck, and I've had problems with it too. Wooptidoo

TCracin440ex
08-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
temper temper, i simply stated that the cobalt was a better buy then spending the same amount of money on an older honda and proceeded to back up what i said. i didn't however jump on the chevy bandwagon and hate on everybody who likes anything besides a bowtie. its all fine and dandy to be brand loyal but when someone makes a joke its time to chuckle and move on with the conversation not be a straight up dbag to the guy who made the joke. so with that said take your narrowminded views of vehicles and shove it where the sun don't shine because nobody wants to hear you whine about how that guy said something bad about chevy.

whoa whoa wait a minute here...me narrow minded? no i really dont think so. a bunch of my friends drive fords and dodges. and they all have had their fair share of problems with their vehicles

its just tommy comes on every thread and says the same thing dodge ram dodge ram.

and me on a chevy bandwagon no not really. it just seems like everybody on this site hates somebody who drives a chevy and idk why. and extreme you can take that and shove it up your ***. nobody wanted to hear tommy say "these broken chevy threads are real popular. DODGE RAM blah blah blah"

that man simply asked what was wrong with his truck and us people taht know chevys put our 2 pennys worth in to let him know what might be causing the problem and what to check out.

fastredrider44
08-27-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm a bowtie man myself.:D

extremeblastr
08-28-2009, 12:19 PM
[B] extreme you can take that and shove it up your ***. nobody wanted to hear tommy say "these broken chevy threads are real popular. DODGE RAM blah blah blah" [B]

dude you ride chevys **** in every chevy thread. i'm all for brand loyalty but stop crying like a baby cuz some dude was tryin to make a joke. if you don't want to read it then DON'T its that simple.

TCracin440ex
08-28-2009, 04:43 PM
whoa *** YOU no i dont. dude i rarely even post on this forum anymore because of flamers and morons on here that post useless garbage on a daily basis. i used to post all the time now i do not. i dont ride chevys dick. will be the first to admit. chevys have their fair share of problems. but dont make out that ford, dodge, toyota, nissan or any other brand is holyier then thou because they all break from time to time.

its just like the same thing with a yamaha, honda, kawasaki, suzuki etc. they all break. some break more then others. there is no "flawless" brand

extremeblastr
08-28-2009, 05:27 PM
whatever i'll just call you chad byrd from now on.

hondariderdylan
08-28-2009, 07:37 PM
bottom line

everything breaks eventually.... end of story:rolleyes:

08-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Tcracing, my dad can beat up your dad! I cant believe how many people on this site have such short fuses lol. I mean the other day there were a bunch of people calling that smittank kid immature (obviously hes immature since hes freaking 11!) if an 11 year old kid seriously gets on your nerves that badly then something is wrong, and every day its another person whining about something. Besides, we all know that chevrolet is the best, so why argue about it? :p

TCracin440ex
08-29-2009, 07:22 AM
#101 i aint never whined bout smittank. i know that hes a child and i dont even put my 2 pennys worth in on his threads. so you cant say taht he gets on my nerves because i just dont pay any attension to what he says

08-29-2009, 10:35 AM
I wasnt just talking about you, i was talking about some of the people on here in general that will complain over anything.

BlaineKaiser450
08-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
bottom line

everything breaks eventually.... end of story:rolleyes: EXACTLY. This thread is ruined :rolleyes:

TCracin440ex
08-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by #101
I wasnt just talking about you, i was talking about some of the people on here in general that will complain over anything.

i understand that 100% but the unwanted comments on here were really is what ruined this thread. imo if you are scrolling thru a forum and click on a thread n you see a problem that you directly cant reply to with an answer to the question or comment at hand then id suggest just hitting the back button on the browser. no need to flame anybodys thread because you think your dumb opinion is needed. theres been several threads where ive clicked and read but i didnt think my 2 pennys was needed in there so i hit the button to go back and kept on browsing

there is entirely too much flaming on these forums anymore.

extremeblastr
08-29-2009, 05:12 PM
i understand that 100% but the unwanted comments on here were really is what ruined this thread. imo if you are scrolling thru a forum and click on a thread n you see a problem that you directly cant reply to with an answer to the question or comment at hand then id suggest just hitting the back button on the browser. no need to flame anybodys thread because you think your dumb opinion is needed. theres been several threads where ive clicked and read but i didnt think my 2 pennys was needed in there so i hit the button to go back and kept on browsing

there is entirely too much flaming on these forums anymore.

there is a difference between FLAMING and JOKING. you FLAMED somone becaue of a JOKE.

TCracin440ex
08-29-2009, 05:33 PM
i didnt see it as a joke. i seen it as him being a smart *** that wont needed to be..he coulda simply hit his back button and went on bout his merry way instead of posting in here causing some bs.

yellowzo3
08-29-2009, 05:56 PM
I go on brand specific forums (chevy, dodge, etc...) and they don't even talk down to other brands this much. They make different trucks for a reason. Everyone has their own preference, which is great. If ANYONE in this thread complaining bought their truck used, they might as well get out of here. Even some that bought new probably should also. Reason being? I know people that bought a brand new truck and beat the crap out of it. I also know people that bought used trucks, and they look brand new and are well cared for. Who knows what everyone in this thread AND PREVIOUS OWNERS of the trucks put them through. Like hondariderdylan said, everything wears and breaks eventually.

Joking around with each other about trucks may have been funny years ago on this site, but now its straight up annoying and sad that a guy can't even make a thread asking for some help without it being spammed up for 2 pages.

To the op, if you ever need help with your truck again, don't post here. Check out fullsizechevy.com ...bunch of helpful guys on there that should be able to point you in the right direction.

tri5ron
08-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Well in light of where this whole fiasco has gone....

my only question is,
(and this is solely directed at the OP),

Did the waterpump solve the problem ?
or
do you see any coolant dripping down from the area of the starter motor/torque converter cover ?

TCracin440ex
08-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
I go on brand specific forums (chevy, dodge, etc...) and they don't even talk down to other brands this much. They make different trucks for a reason. Everyone has their own preference, which is great. If ANYONE in this thread complaining bought their truck used, they might as well get out of here. Even some that bought new probably should also. Reason being? I know people that bought a brand new truck and beat the crap out of it. I also know people that bought used trucks, and they look brand new and are well cared for. Who knows what everyone in this thread AND PREVIOUS OWNERS of the trucks put them through. Like hondariderdylan said, everything wears and breaks eventually.

Joking around with each other about trucks may have been funny years ago on this site, but now its straight up annoying and sad that a guy can't even make a thread asking for some help without it being spammed up for 2 pages.

To the op, if you ever need help with your truck again, don't post here. Check out fullsizechevy.com ...bunch of helpful guys on there that should be able to point you in the right direction.

as do i. i am a member of FSC, Chevy truckworld, Pavement sucks, and GMFS and none of them more adult oriented sites have the spam and flaming on here that this forum does. i guess its because its just a more mature group of people

tri5 i been wondering the same thing simply because what he stated the problem was is the exact same "symtoms" my old truck was having. and i thought it was the waterpump 2

fastredrider44
08-30-2009, 12:47 PM

tri5 i been wondering the same thing simply because what he stated the problem was is the exact same "symtoms" my old truck was having. and i thought it was the waterpump 2

How old? On my 84, I had water pump gasket problems ever since the get go. Had them so much that I knew the part number, (5152) by heart. Ended up replacing the water pump as the old water pump had a ever so slightly bent shaft (that I didn't catch til later) and the vibrations were what caused the gaskets to fail. Shaft got bent from throwing a belt one time.

416exfreak
08-30-2009, 03:37 PM
their trannys are junk.

X2.

We had a Dakota R/T that was in the shop more than in our driveway for the 9 months we owned it.

TCracin440ex
08-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
How old? On my 84, I had water pump gasket problems ever since the get go. Had them so much that I knew the part number, (5152) by heart. Ended up replacing the water pump as the old water pump had a ever so slightly bent shaft (that I didn't catch til later) and the vibrations were what caused the gaskets to fail. Shaft got bent from throwing a belt one time.

it was on a 98 vortech bro. the 96-98 vortechs are famous for the intake gaskets shifting