PDA

View Full Version : question about 450's

fathead19
08-25-2009, 08:47 PM
I will try and keep this a brief as possible but I need some information. Back in the 80’s I raced 3 and 4 wheelers, mostly moto cross but some woods races and even a flat track or TT every now and then. If you do the math you will see that that puts me at just over forty years old. Now I am looking at getting back into riding with my boys, mostly trail riding but I would also like to run a few hare scrambles. From looking at the results form the winter series Honda and Yamaha seem to be the quads of choice. But I like the sound of fuel injection and reverse gear that the Kawasaki offers. What scares me is that it looks like there is almost no one riding them in the Mid South races. Just wondering why? Is there a major performance difference? Is it a lack of aftermarket supplies? Is it a reliability issue? Is it a handling concern?

I’m not looking to make any major modifications, just keep it basically stock other than skid plates, hand guards, etc.

You guys are up on the latest info so please help me out a little.

Thanks

QuadJunkies
09-01-2009, 09:06 AM
fathead19, I have moved your question to the open section, I may regret it later .:o :p lol

I think you will get a more answers or at least opinions here than on the WORCS section.

Alright everyone, hes looking for some answers ,dont ruin it .

JParisi48
09-01-2009, 10:04 AM
i think its because they dont start as quickly with the fuel injection electric start oppsed to a carb kickstart

SRH
09-01-2009, 10:18 AM
the old style yfz usedwill be the best buy and performance, personally id get whatever one u like the best, the avg joe should have fun on any of them, if u like the reverse go for it

400exrider707
09-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Honda and Yamaha have been out the longest so there is just more of them out there, plus they're older so usually easier to pick up cheap when they're used.

There will also be a slew of used aftermarket parts and what not for the Honda and Yamaha since they've been out longer, so you can pick up some goodies cheaper as well.

Stiles86
09-01-2009, 10:26 AM
its all personal preference now, there all close... i dont race woods but honda and yami's are dime a dozen right now(used) and you can find parts everywhere, the kawi's have the reverse, a huge plus, if you can afford it i think ktm would be the way to go.. i havnt heard anything bad about them... the only one id stay away from is can am they seem to have alot of motor issues.. i had yfz,trx,kfx and currently ltr's, they all have there issues..its what you feel comfortable on.. my two cents

fastredrider44
09-01-2009, 11:36 AM
If you ask me, the Kawi's don't have a very strong turnout at the Mid-souths because they are down on power compared to any other 450, and the aluminum frame gives woods racers fits. I do like they way they feel, but they are a little topheavy and definatley underpowered. Reverse it nice, but if you need reverse, you are going too slow. :devil: At Midsouths, Honda's and Yamaha's are King. Even Honda's moreso that Yamahas due to part availibilty and the reputation of reliability.

XCRacer236
09-01-2009, 01:25 PM
the standard YFZ is always my top choice. ton of them around and very nice ones can be had for cheap. just gotta look. the LTR is a nice quad as well. that would be my 2nd choice for the average Joe.

as someone else said the Kawi's have been rumored to be a little top heavy and not handle as well as some of the others. i say rumor cause ive never ridden one or been around one much.

;)

09-01-2009, 01:32 PM
You don't see as many because like said, they only came out in 2008 whereas the Yamaha and Honda came out in 04.

It's really just a matter of what YOU feel more comfortable on. Almost all the 450's are good these days. Just different ergo's and such.

The Yamaha has a very sporty seating setup, which is ideal for racing, but on long trail rides gets a little sore. The seats kinda narrow. But they do make aftermarket seats for them. By 06 they were proven super reliable and still one of the top power makers.

The Honda feels a little more comfortable of a seat, and is just as reliable as the Yamaha. Single cam engine is easier to work on if you ever have to, and power is about the same also. Suspension just isn't quite up to par with the other manufacturer's but isn't bad either.

The Kawasaki is what I would buy, they're a nice quad. It's one of the lowest powered quads stock, but those Kawi motors respond nicely to a few bolt ons because they're super restricted from the factory. A simple exhaust, filter, and open box makes them just as fast as other piped 450's. The fuel injection is nice and reverse is great for a trail rider. The ergonomics are PERFECT on it in my opinion. I fell in love with the way it felt.

It has it's minor flaws, but a nice quad.

You should just go around to all the dealers, sit on them and look them. See which one feels best. Then when you pick one of the three, ask the dealer for a test ride. If they see you're a highly potential buyer im sure they will let you.

extremeblastr
09-01-2009, 07:32 PM
i have never heard anyone complain about the handling on the kawi, people have had issues setting up their aftermarket suspension on it but other than that i know many people who wish they could slap an 04/05 honda motor in a kawi frame and race it.

fastredrider44
09-01-2009, 07:39 PM
That would be a pretty cool hybrid right there!