PDA

View Full Version : ESR 310 vs. Pro-x 310

MossboysRacing
08-25-2009, 02:24 PM
So im probably going to buy a bolt on 310 from either esr, or pro-x. I will get the pro-x for $550 and the esr is 599, so price isnt really a big deal. Just looking for opinions, because ive never owned either

NJChris
08-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Do a search on your question. This topic has been discussed 100's of times. Buy a jug from a small custom builder and you will be happy. Buy from a big-name place and you wont.

deathman53
08-25-2009, 03:14 PM
big name places tend to be more cookie cutter port jobs, small places are more specific to what you are using and doing. For that small of a price, even a small guy, won't be doing much porting, if any at all. The $500-600 is almost just cost for the cylinder, piston, gasket and head. Don't expect alot from it, send it to c-liegh and he'll make it rip.

MossboysRacing
08-25-2009, 03:17 PM
I will probably have it ported at a later date, im just wondering if one kit is better than the other? they both come with the same parts, but the pro-x is $1100 retail and the esr is 600. Im getting 50% off if i buy the pro-x, but id just rather know if one is better that the other?

i tried searching for a while. the problem i had is that the search wont pick up esr or 310 because it only has 3 letters. Any search word has to be 4 or more letters

hondamancbr03
08-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by MossboysRacing
id just rather know if one is better that the other?

You might as well be asking what's better....Ford or Chevy!

I have a Pro-X and I'm very happy with it...Although it was ported by Arlen with LRD so I can't really say how it ran in stock form. An ESR fan will respond on how he likes his top end too.

At one time both cylinders were made at the same alumn foundry. ESR apparently has a new company casting their cylinders.

deathman53
08-25-2009, 03:50 PM
esr's is a steel liner, where most pro-x is nickel-sil. Some have said on the "other" r site, that esr's new cast doesn't have that bobble over the exhaust port, so cooling over the exhaust isn't as good and its cylinder and head have less coolant compacity. The pv's are a different story, most like the rotax style ones. Most companies use the rotax ones, only esr makes their own. I'm not a fan of esr, I had one of their bolt-on 330's, its didn't run all that good. The lrd 310pv blew its doors off.

matt250r21
08-25-2009, 04:56 PM
I thought the only Pro-X cylinders that were aluminum sleeve with Nikasil were the 249-265 cc cylinder kits.

deathman53
08-25-2009, 06:12 PM
I have 2 310's that are nikasil. It depends on whom you order it from and what you want. I could've got steel liners also, it would have been a longer wait and they said they don't perform as good.

leager-n-ky
08-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by hondamancbr03
You might as well be asking what's better....Ford or Chevy!

I have a Pro-X and I'm very happy with it...Although it was ported by Arlen with LRD so I can't really say how it ran in stock form. An ESR fan will respond on how he likes his top end too.

At one time both cylinders were made at the same alumn foundry. ESR apparently has a new company casting their cylinders.

We all know Chevy is better........

Fear250r
08-25-2009, 08:53 PM
I beg to differ.....

Honda 250r 001
08-25-2009, 09:20 PM
I+personally+like+the+design+of+the+pro+x+better+b ecause+of+bridged+exhaust+and+the+cooling+jackets

hondamancbr03
08-25-2009, 10:59 PM
My Pro-X has a steel liner which i prefer only due to when rebuilding time comes it's cost less than half the cost of re-coating and a new piston of the nickel-sil style.....I do believe nickel-sil is better for performance IMO.

Ruf Racing
08-26-2009, 07:40 AM
Aren't the Pro-x cast pistons?

Honda 250r 001
08-26-2009, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Ruf Racing
Aren't the Pro-x cast pistons?

yes they are, but most go with a wiseco piston as soon as the first piston and bore starts to wear some.

tt racer
08-26-2009, 10:24 AM
I have an eddie sanders 350 pv its a nice set up but wow where do i start. The customer service is terrible and the port work has gone to the wayside. I like the fact that they are developing new stuff for the R but be careful with this place. Im a longtime racer and wont be running their stuff next year. If i had the money i wouldnt finish the season with this motor just by the way they treated me after all the money i spent with them. Im not hear to bash or get into a pi####g match just telling you guys before you spend a ton of money dont expect them to back their stuff up cause they refused to help me! Im done period..............

Ruf Racing
08-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by tt racer
I have an eddie sanders 350 pv its a nice set up but wow where do i start. The customer service is terrible and the port work has gone to the wayside. I like the fact that they are developing new stuff for the R but be careful with this place. Im a longtime racer and wont be running their stuff next year. If i had the money i wouldnt finish the season with this motor just by the way they treated me after all the money i spent with them. Im not hear to bash or get into a pi####g match just telling you guys before you spend a ton of money dont expect them to back their stuff up cause they refused to help me! Im done period..............

I hate to hear stories like this. I will need an upgraded cylinder
next year. I was hoping to use their 310PV kit. Now I may need
to rethink my options. :ermm:

SuperSherman
08-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Same as what TT Racer said.

steve250r
08-26-2009, 01:53 PM
I've ordered my share of ESR stuff over the last 7-8 years and have never had any issues. They've always answered my questions. I give them credit for still developing parts for our antique iron. Not many companies doing that anymore as most of you already know.

MossboysRacing
08-26-2009, 02:20 PM
I have no problems with esr and have ordered parts from them before. But, I think im going to get the Pro-X 310. I was doing some more re-search on The "other" 250r site, and due to the non porting, and different coolant passages was enough to sell it to me. I can always have Neil port it later for my riding type.

steve250r
08-26-2009, 03:13 PM
$550 is definitely a good price for a complete brand new pro-x top end.

Fear250r
08-26-2009, 06:04 PM
It's not the Pro-x that 550, it's ESR's new cylinder.

MossboysRacing
08-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Not when you get 50% off anything from Pro-X, LIke me:D And i had them verify that, so I can use on a whole bolt on kit.

tt racer
08-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Neil will hook you up totally a passionate engine builder that will stand by his work the whole way!:D