PDA

View Full Version : New EX Owner....suggestions

Shawthy33
08-25-2009, 06:26 AM
New 400EX owner here, wanted one since they came out, and shopped around for a good clean stocker for a long time. Finally found one this past weekend on a deal I couldn't pass up.

2000 400ex all stock w/ PRM bumper, and full body and swing-arm skid plates. The bike even has the original tires, although worn, it definitely was treated right through its first life. Everything works on it, I'm pumped.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z229/SHawthy33/Honda400ex82309001.jpg

Now to the fun stuff. I'm looking to keep the engine relatively stock for now. I need to keep it relatively quiet so hopefully none of the neighbors complain about me riding in the woods behind the house.

That said, my list of "to-buys" are as follows:

New Grips (Odi Lock-ons)
Hand Guards (PowerMadd's seem to be popular around here)
Tether Kill Switch (Tusk)
Nerf Bars (Tusk foot peg & Heel guard - $199)
Black Seat (I'd like a factory one, but they are kinda pricey on ebay)
Chain/Sprocket Kit (When needed)

Soon to need Tires later in the fall as well (Taking suggestions)

I've listed the parts I've already looked at above, if anyone has suggestions or reviews I'll take them.

The bike will be used for woods riding mainly, fast trails, some rocks and mud but mostly typical New England riding.

So I'm looking for suggestions

tri5ron
08-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Considering the accessories you already have, and you say you want to keep it quiet,
upgrade the front shocks first. A good budget minded choice is 450r front shocks with white bros. springs.

second is a steering stabilizer, look up the CPC custom. Excellent choice.

Sparks timing advance key will wake it up a bit, gives much better throttle responce, and dosent reduce the reliability these bikes are known for.

Shawthy33
08-25-2009, 07:17 AM
Sounds good, I've been looking at the 450R shocks and seen that a lot of people make this upgrade.

Anybody suggest any seat covers? I'd like a factory black seat but just can't understand why they are almost $80-100 on ebay.

Muzzgit
08-25-2009, 08:39 AM
I don't like the black seat because it gets really hot if the bike has been in the sun - it gets dang hot here -

Kenda Claw XC are good tyres and priced right.

I also found I needed to lift the handle bars up with bar risers because I was leaning forward too much when standing.

TCracin440ex
08-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Considering the accessories you already have, and you say you want to keep it quiet,
upgrade the front shocks first. A good budget minded choice is 450r front shocks with white bros. springs.

second is a steering stabilizer, look up the CPC custom. Excellent choice.

Sparks timing advance key will wake it up a bit, gives much better throttle responce, and dosent reduce the reliability these bikes are known for.

all that stuff really aint needed. that bike is perfectly rideable the way it sets. and before i would spend 100+ on a sparks advance key i would just get a rev box which will give you 1000 more RPM.

actually a k&n power kit is a good investment. comes with filter, outterwears, and a jet kit

Pipeless416
08-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
all that stuff really aint needed. that bike is perfectly rideable the way it sets. and before i would spend 100+ on a sparks advance key i would just get a rev box which will give you 1000 more RPM.

actually a k&n power kit is a good investment. comes with filter, outterwears, and a jet kit

a key is $25 which includes the bolt for removing the flywheel.. also, the key will give you a snappier throttle response and a small amount of power that you can actually feel. the extra 1k rpms is not even close to needed with an otherwise stock engine. all they do is make it harder to start in come cases. I also think that jet kits are not worth the money.. i'd rather buy a few jets than a whole box that i'll never need. i agree on the shocks.. 450r fronts with a works triple rate spring setup seem to be the way to go.. if they can get the spring rates correct for your setup :chinese:

Ryan'07400ex
08-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex

I got a key for $30 with the puller bolt, then bought a gasket for 16 bucks. So 46 dollars is all it cost me. It may be $100+ if you don't do it yourself. A rev box is usually $80 or $120. I don't think the rev box I tried in my ex did much. I did like the ability to start in reverse and have no rev limit in reverse but you can cut a wire and get the same thing free. Sure you may get 1000 more rpm's but you may also get a shorter engine life reving it that high all the time.

To sum up I like my sparks 6 degree advance way better than the big gun rev box I have.

Ba9801
08-25-2009, 07:21 PM
The Sparks key is a must. Just be sure you get your gasket before taking it apart. Service Honda or your local dealer can get it for you. It will give you a much better throttle response across the entire rpm range. Next I would get some skid pads, Armadillo makes a very nice .250 thick swing arm one that will take some serious abuse. Body skids are about the same .190 thick from everyone so I would look for a good deal rather than a name.
I just got a set of 450R front shocks so I will be doing that upgrade soon. The CPC steering stabilizer is a great addition as well and reasonably priced.

Also be sure to remove your parking brake so it does not get hung up out on the trails and destroy your rear brake. It is simple to remove and you only need a 10 block off plate.

I dont really think you will need the tether kill. At least I have not found a need for one, I can see racers needing it but on the trails I dont think the bike is going to get away from you.

Tires are always a question, I run ITP Mudlites because we have a good bit of mud where I ride, Holeshots or razrs seam to be the most popular choices. Just be sure whatever tire you get you get a 6 ply tire. You want derability out on the trails.

I had the local upholstery shop recover my wifes seat for her Yamaha Warrior. It only cost me $50.00 and is a very durable black material just like a factory seat.

Hope this helps
:)

badtothebone250
09-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Im not positive for quads but I bought a black gripper seat cover for $50 from factory effex for my bike.

09-22-2009, 10:15 PM
go to www.graphicmx.com and buy one of their gripper seat covers...i'll never ride without a gripper cover again...

do some suspension mods first...allow the quad to properly handle the stock performance before adding to that...i'll never ride without a stabilizer or a gt thunder rear link and shock revalve......once doing those, you'll realize that the front shocks need improved so that is when the 450r fronts come into play...

but before all of that protect you and the bike...good skidplate advice was given above