PDA

View Full Version : Pro Armor Nerfs (full product line review)

MtnEX
08-25-2009, 01:36 AM
OK, so if you are in the market for pegs and nerfs... and you are stuck between the offerings from Pro Armor... here is a product line review for you.

If you are thinking of the sport nerfs... well that gets you nets. But you are still stuck with the stock pegs and heel guards. If this is all you can really afford though, get them. This is the only application where I think the black is worth the touch-up aggrivation. It will look much better with the stock black stuff.

If you are thinking of the XC nerfs, don't. YES the Fat Pegs are absolutely worth every extra penny over using the stock pegs and XC nerfs. Just wait one more paycheck.

The Fat Peg nerfs are nice. I think I honestly like them best... maybe because I am already used to the Fat Pegs themselves.

Now, we get on to the PowerGRIP System, and consider the ins/outs of moving up to these from the Fat Peg Nerfs like I did.

My opinion on this is that I think the one-piece tube look on the Fat Peg nerfs looks a lot cleaner. And you feel no give in them at all anywhere you step on them. The pegs are also much more easily serviced. they mount to the nerfs, instead of everything mounting to them. The Fat Peg nerfs are also a bit lighter.

As for the PowerGRIP System... the pegs give you maximum grip. They are knarly and HUGE. To me, they don't feel like you are getting as much bite because they are so much larger across. But they do grip as well, probably better. And they are less tiring on the feet when riding long and hard, because there is more support there under your feet.

Also, with the PowerGRIP system, you have a lot of choices. The nerfs are the sport series actually and will work with your stocker stuff. You can also just run the pegs, or pegs and nerfs, or pegs and heel guards.

But in the end, if you really ride hard, and you really put a beating on this sort of stuff... YES it is worth the price difference.

Your weight is on all steel.
It's a steel weldment right to the frame.
Then the peg teeth are bolted right to that.
A bit tougher for sure.

The heel guard section has a features that the XC nerfs and Fat Peg nerfs are missing. The tubing rolls all the way around and comes down on the inside to the peg also... and the aluminum plate has form-punched holes for rigidity rather than slot holes. In the end, the heel guard protection is tougher and offers more protection... and should you mess one up, it's a replaceable piece, not a whole side.

Also, the sport nerfs I think are a little tougher. And should you have damage, it's a replaceable piece.

To me, the down sides to the PowerGRIP System are...

All the extra width across the peg is added to the rear. This is so they can be wider across and still work with the sport nerf instead of a special set. And this is also why nothing stock will work with the pegs... and also is why the heel guards will not work with stock pegs. To me, this feels a little weird and puts my calves against the plastics on downhills.

Additional cost... There is not all that much more to these for them to cost so much more.

The multi-piece appearance is not quite as clean looking to me as the one-piece.

You have to take everything apart to install fresh peg teeth.

So in closing, if you have very little money, you need nerfs, so get the sport series if nothing else. You can pick up the PowerGRIP pegs and heel guards to go with them later.

If you can afford more, skip on up to at least the Fat Peg nerfs. These are probably the best value.

And if you are really hard on stuff, or want the most grip, or want the most options, then go for the PowerGRIP system. It's the toughest, offers the most grip, and is highly configurable. But you'll pay quite a premium for that.

MtnEX
08-25-2009, 01:37 AM
I will add pictures to this thread at some point.

I will also add any after-thoughts I may have and answer any questions I can.

MtnEX
09-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Getting back around to this...

So I will start with a comparison of the pegs...

MtnEX
09-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Here are the Fat Peg Nerf Pegs...

Like them a lot...
They mount to the top of the nerf tube.
Easy service and great grip... with a nice kick-up...

MtnEX
09-06-2009, 08:56 PM
And these are the PowerGRIP pegs...

A lot meatier, and wider front to back...
(all width added to back side of peg)

MtnEX
09-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Now I will get to the part where I was talking about the Fat Peg Nerfs looking a little "cleaner" looking with the one-piece design...

MtnEX
09-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Fat Peg nerf side view...

MtnEX
09-06-2009, 09:10 PM
PowerGRIP system side view...

MtnEX
09-06-2009, 09:11 PM
But it's not nearly as noticable above as it will be below......

MtnEX
09-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Fat Peg nerfs from a typical view...

MtnEX
09-06-2009, 09:14 PM
And this is where the multi-piece setup doesn't look so hot...

I don't like the gap between the nerf tube and heel guard tube...

MtnEX
09-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Now I will point out the structural difference I was talking about in the heel guard section...

The PowerGRIP heel guard is made much stronger.

It has tubing that wraps on around on the inside edge of the heel...

Plus it has a tougher shell plate that is also reinforced with dimple punches at each hole...

MtnEX
09-06-2009, 09:25 PM
The Fat Peg nerf heel guard section has just regular cut slot holes... and no tubing on the inside...

No big deal, but in comparison not as strong... particularly to impact...