PDA

View Full Version : 2009 heartland challenge stories

somewon
08-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Hi all,

I thought I'd throw my story in for anyone interested. We arived late friday night and set up at end of pit row. The next morning, we started getting our stuff ready for the race while the kids were running. during the kids race, one of the girls lost control comming into pit row, she came off the quad and landed in the grass near my trailer and her quad missed my truck by only a couple feet. This set the pace for our pit as during the start of the race one rider broke his leg next to our trailer after getting tangled up at the start.

We had a great time at the race, we placed 8 out of 9 in the C class, but we finished with no injuries and all three quads still running. Not bad seeing as how we had one rider that had never been in an actual race before, one rider who was a dirt bike guy I talked into comming in as a third guy, and me, who hasn't competed in an official XC race before. We weren't the best equipped either as we used my outlaw, a stock yfz450, and a stock outlander 400 max. we started on the paint shaker (yfz) then three hours into it we swithched to the outlaw. one of the guys on my team didn't like the outlaw (he owned the yfz) so I brought out the outlander to see how the max would handle the course. It did well for being as long as it was, but it was bouncing down the trail like a tug boat in rough water when I started pushing it. We got more cheers riding this quad than any other, mostly due to the streamers I tied to the rear rack and handlebars. As the night went on we kept our lap times consistent, slow, but consistent. we ran factory lights on all the quads until about 8:45 when I got the rack mounted light fixed on the outty.

As far as wrecks go we had our share. On the first lap someone pushed our rider into a tree on one of the downhill sections, it bent his lower a-arm but it still tracked straight, so he kept at it. I was the third to run and by the time it was my turn I was in a frenzy and pushing a little too hard for a course I had never seen before. All in all I hit a total of four trees, one lawn chair ( in a gulley off the coruse), and rolled the outty on it's side on a soft dirt bank.

All in all it was a great time. we want to do it next year with a little more preperation.

Colby@C&DRacing
08-27-2009, 10:44 AM
glad to hear you liked the event.. I really enjoy the preperation and planning these endurance races take.

If you enjoyed the 10hr we have 2 races left in the Iowa Atv Harescramble Series Sept 20th MT Pleasant IA and October 11th back at Carlisle IA. These are 2 hr races.

katch26
08-27-2009, 10:53 AM
congrats on the race......although I have to admit I laughed when I read you hit a lawn chair. I think thats probably a first lol

somewon
08-28-2009, 11:52 AM
it was a pretty unique experience for me too! The lawn chair was one of the really old style folders that had the webbing eroded away from sitting on the trail side so long. one of my team mates was trying to ride up one of the hills as a quad was rolling down at him. The driver wasn't very tall and had to scoot down the hill on his butt after the quad. It was close enough to him as it was rolling that he cought severals sprays of gas from the overflow.

Colby, It was a great event, actually I think I'm going to try some of the harescrambles in missouri before their season ends. I will say that was one of the toughest sections in the trees i've ever seen. I was always so happy when I exited and got to climb the tires and rocks, and jumps, those were the easy parts!!