PDA

View Full Version : Online Schooling

450rRacer22
08-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Anybody get a degree online? I've been thinking about doing this because right now i am only working at UPS in the mornings for 4 hours and then i have nothing to do the rest of the day. I was helping out at a feed mill for a couple months for awhile and will be going back here shortly to help out for only a couple months again but i need another steady job. I keep trying to find one but working it around my UPS hours is really hard no one is willing to do it. So i was thinking about taking classes online for like human resource management or something like that. I can just see myself not end up using it though and wasting my money. Anybody ever do schooling online and if so how do you like it? Was it easy to find a job afterwards in your field?

08-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Just curious, but why not just go on campus? You have nothing better to do..?

450rRacer22
08-24-2009, 02:57 PM
I dont know i've thought about it. I guess im just not interested in going back to sitting in class again when i could do it at home. My sister had to take a class online once and she really liked it, she wished she would have done all of it online.

08-24-2009, 04:00 PM
cousin is doing that and she loves it!i believe the only one is the university of phoenix and theres only like 3hrs of classes i think and she ssaid its really easy

450rRacer22
08-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Yeah everyone that i've talked to so far has really liked it and found it really convenient. Theres actually a lot of places that offer online schooling. I've looked at Phoenix, and Penn Foster but recently i've been checking out Herzing University. They have a lot of great programs there and i've heard good things about them.

08-24-2009, 05:34 PM
ohhhhhh i thought the only one was phoenix thats where my cousin is goin

yellowzo3
08-24-2009, 08:01 PM
I took human resource management last semester on campus. If its anything like my class was, you can without a doubt take it online. Its straightforward and you learn the acts that protect against various forms of discrimination. You also learn types of training, a little about unions, and we did some things with using technology to help manage things as well. To be honest, you've heard about most of the things you're going to learn about, you just go into more detail in the class. Its most helpful if you plan on moving up to a managing position or want to start your own business. But you also pick up tidbits of info throughout the course that are good to have for your own benefit (some of your rights, grievances). There are other management classes I've taken as well (some useful, some were a waste), but it all depends on which direction you want to go. You can get more involved in unions, or stay on the management route as well. My school offers some internet courses, but its not meant to be 100% online. I'm not sure how demanding your classes will be though. I like being on campus better; easier to ask questions and its just more of a learning enviornment. If i stayed at home and did mine online I would get sidetracked too easily.

08-25-2009, 12:41 AM
Just a little food for thought- Every employer I've talked to about potential jobs with my degree I have asked them how they look at online vs campus and they all said the same thing. They all said that if two people were applying for the position with the same degree but one did it on campus and the other online, They would hire the one that went on campus because in there eye's they were more dedicated. Just something to think about.

450rRacer22
08-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Nova
Just a little food for thought- Every employer I've talked to about potential jobs with my degree I have asked them how they look at online vs campus and they all said the same thing. They all said that if two people were applying for the position with the same degree but one did it on campus and the other online, They would hire the one that went on campus because in there eye's they were more dedicated. Just something to think about.
Yeah thats kinda what im afraid of. Being on campus is just kinda out of the question though cuz i can be called into work at the feed mill anytime they need me and with the money i make there it would be very hard to lose that because of being at school.