PDA

View Full Version : CRF250r help

ZeroLogic
08-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Need some help here... The bike starts up and runs great it can rev to the moon no problems. but with idleing now it wil idle fine but once when i hit the throttle it will stay up at high rpms until i mess with the idle screw but every time i hit the gas the idle wont go back down to normal. I cleaned the carb check all the jets and needles nothing is touching the throttle cable and my throttle isnt sticking. i tried adjusting the air fuel screw also nothing help. Any ideas guys?

derekhonda
08-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Just throwing out the obvious but sure your throttle cable is releasing and not kinked somewhere?

exrider12
08-24-2009, 10:25 AM
My CRF150r did that to. I even bought it new.. I think it has something to do with the jetting.

ZeroLogic
08-24-2009, 11:00 AM
throttle cable isnt kinked at all

exrider12
08-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Try bumping up the Pilot jet one size.

usp4u
08-24-2009, 11:10 AM
make sure you dont have grip glue or dirt gumming the throttle tube/twist mechanism. remove throttle cable, hose out with wd40 and lube. The cable may not be kinked, but could be gummed up or fraying inside the cable and getting hung up.

UNBROKEN
08-24-2009, 01:24 PM
hey have u checked for airleaks around the carb boot ? , spray i can of carb clean around the boot and if u have a leak the motor will cut out.

KXRida
08-25-2009, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by UNBROKEN
hey have u checked for airleaks around the carb boot ? , spray i can of carb clean around the boot and if u have a leak the motor will cut out.

Beat me too it. If your throttle and cable are fine and in working order, I'd check your carb boots and air box next. Sounds like a possible air leak may be your problem.

reptikes
08-25-2009, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by exrider12
Try bumping up the Pilot jet one size.

I have a CRF450r that had the same problem couple months back . Bigger Pilot Jet fixed it right up.

ZeroLogic
08-25-2009, 08:17 AM
i'll try a bigger jet but could i have a air leak around the cylinder?

KXRida
08-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic

highley unlikely. If you did you'd probably have more problems on your hands than what you're having now. You'd have compression loss if it was a cylinder leak. 99% sure it's and air fuel issue. Like I said, check your air boot on both ends for leaks. If those are good, up your pilot jet and see how that runs. If those don't work we'll help you narrow it down.

My buddy's crf450 was doing it 2 days ago. Ended up being a sticky throttle cable.

derekhonda
08-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by KXRida

My buddy's crf450 was doing it 2 days ago. Ended up being a sticky throttle cable.

I'm still a big fan of check the simple stuff first.

Pull your carb completely out of the two boots, leave the throttle cable connected, turn your gas off, give it a rev and make sure it opens and closes promptly and snugly.

416exfreak
08-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic

An air leak around the cylinder would also indicate a loss of compression, and you'd start noticing a line of black around where the cylinder and head bolt together.

KXRida
08-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
I'm still a big fan of check the simple stuff first.

read the first part of my post...

I agree, cheap, easy stuff first. My point being, our diagnosis ended up being a sticky throttle cable.