PDA

View Full Version : New mods?

Goob
08-24-2009, 06:38 AM
What are some new mods I could do I have a k&n filter hmf exhaust jetted 42 pilot choke removed I don't really want to do anything to the motor at this time so I was thinking about nerfs and a bumper and before long wheels and tires what nerds and bumper would b good for me I just trail ride I kinda like the looks of the pro armor any recommendations would b apprecited and if you can think of any more mods let me know thanks

bigbad400
08-24-2009, 07:03 AM
i have the ac racing nerfs with heel guard and they are the best i ever rode on, i think you would like a cdi or a monster coil, it improves throttle responce. i have both on mine and love it.

Goob
08-24-2009, 07:19 AM
K thanks I will definetly look into it and also what does plugging the snorkel do I notice that on your list

bigbad400
08-24-2009, 08:48 AM
i just totaly removed that restrictive snorkel off there, plugged the hole on the air box, and run it with a EHS lid on the box, more air flow, better fuel efficiency, more power. the only downfall is deep water but i dont take my 400 in the water and i never will, its not a boat its a quad.

just like the choke, its restrictive, just like the stock cdi, it has really low spark energy, and a rev limiter thats 1000 rpms too low. they set the 400 up to be unleashed.... so unleash it and you'll have all kinds of power. good luck. oh and i have a outerwears on my filter as well as the ehs lid, its just good idea if you have open airbox.

espergre
08-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Many riders buy filtered air box lids like this one by K&N, http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=HA-4504-T , they allow almost as much air flow as having no lid but they are also a 2nd layer of filter. By adding an outerwears cover, water pretty much rolls of the lid and does not penetrate into the air box. It makes it almost waterproof unless you have submerged your air box completely in water. If you seal off your snorkel (the intake air tube running from above your motor down into your airbox) you prevent water from entering the airbox that way.

Goob
08-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Where can I get a Cdi and what Do I Need to get lol I really don't know anything about it

08-24-2009, 10:00 AM
DON'T GET A CDI!

The 400ex is not "set 1,000 rpm too short"

If anything it's kinda high. 400ex's make peak power at 6500-7500 stock. By 9100 it's barely making any horsepower. If you hit the rev limiter on a stock 400ex, or even with a pipe timing key and filter, you don't know how to ride. They aren't designed for that. And the stock spark is not that weak. Aftermarket CDI's are a waste.
The choke is not that restrictive either. It gains what .3hp? Come on now. The only thing it's good for is better throttle response, but honestly I would rather keep the choke and know it's there.:o

Power wise, the only thing a 400ex needs to wake up, is a decent exhaust system, aftermarket air filter, and a curtis sparks timing advance flywheel key. That key makes a real noticeable improvement in power. I noticed my top end pulls harder these days.

Nerf's are personal preference. I can't stand them. But the Pro-Armors look nice. Especially the black ones.

Bumper's are also personal preference. We can't tell you what looks good:p But I have a DG V-Pro and like it a lot on my EX.

Goob
08-24-2009, 10:40 AM
So the only thing I really need is a timing key since I already have a full hmf sports series and k&n filter by the way thanks for the info.

08-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Goob
So the only thing I really need is a timing key since I already have a full hmf sports series and k&n filter by the way thanks for the info.

Yup. I think you'll be pleastantly surprised by what that little stupid key does. I didn't believe the hype until i bought it.

And yeah no problem. CDI boxes are such a waste of money. White Brothers used to just use xr250 rev boxes and labeled them as an aftermarket 400ex CDI. :rolleyes:

UNBROKEN
08-24-2009, 01:15 PM
when i had my 400ex i had a stage 1 hotcam and a 10/1 piston and uni filter , and it had a slip on pipe , i noticed how it would run flat as i reved it out , so i took of the airbox lid and removed the choke , then installed a 42p and 152m and man what a difrence i could pull each gear higher , at first i tried a 155 main but that was a bit to rich and the 152 ran better.

Ryan'07400ex
08-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by UNBROKEN
when i had my 400ex i had a stage 1 hotcam and a 10/1 piston and uni filter , and it had a slip on pipe , i noticed how it would run flat as i reved it out , so i took of the airbox lid and removed the choke , then installed a 42p and 152m and man what a difrence i could pull each gear higher , at first i tried a 155 main but that was a bit to rich and the 152 ran better.

I'd say the jetting helped the most, alot of people say with a slip on and air filter you're starving it of fuel.

BTW Doesn't hearing the filter suck in air annoy you though?

UNBROKEN
08-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Ryan'07400ex
I'd say the jetting helped the most, alot of people say with a slip on and air filter you're starving it of fuel.

BTW Doesn't hearing the filter suck in air annoy you though?

with my wb e series pipe with no s/a , i couldnt even hear the intake over the thump of the exhuast ,

Ba9801
08-25-2009, 07:05 PM
I agree that proper jetting and the sparks advance key with your other mods will be the best combination. The K&N or EHS air box lid is nice increase as well. If you do work to the motor than I could see needing a hotter spark but as is you should be good to go.

AS for bumpers and nerfs they really are preference. With nerfs it really depends on how you ride, alot of people on here that race say they have had the Pro Armor nerfs crack but most other people like them. I have Rath Racing ones with pro pegs and like them alot as they are netted in the heel area so mud does not clump up there. The IMS Roll ones are very nice as well, but both of these are kinda pricey. My wike has Jarden nerfs on her Warrior and they work well for her.

Goob
08-25-2009, 08:51 PM
K I'm going to order the sparks key where can I order the gasket and is it easy to install

Ba9801
08-25-2009, 09:14 PM
You can get it from your local dealer or I got mine at Service HONDA
http://www.servicehonda.com/index.html

There is a good tutorial about it here.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349499&highlight=sparks

Mine was very easy to install, as long as you use the proper tools.