PDA

View Full Version : Back Strengthening?

Tofu.Man
08-24-2009, 06:23 AM
My fellow riders do you have any tips on back strengthening? When ever I have a good solid day of riding under my belt at the local mx track, My back always feels like hell the next day.

dehner47
08-24-2009, 06:47 AM
welcome to the world of racing/ riding quads. :devil:

you wanna get a nice stretch in your back before and especially after a hard moto to work the stress outta the muscles. works awesome if you do it after every ride. you'll notice big dif right away. and to strengthen your back, start doing some back extentions to strengthen your lower and mid back. start with no weight and get your back use to the motions. in no time at all, your back will feel much better after riding.

derekhonda
08-24-2009, 06:48 AM
Stretch.

If it is your lower back, do some deadlifts every other night.

Tofu.Man
08-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. It's just gonna take some getting used to and some strength training. It'll get easier with time. Thanks a bunch again.

JRP
08-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Me personally, do bent over rows, but not with a machine or anything, use DB's. Bend over and keep ur back straight, push your *** back and row slow. Go for 12-15 reps, not that would be for endurance but in the off season go a little heavier, and you can do them on an actual machine where you do bent over rows. Like derekhonda said, stretch and do some deads. Don't go heavy, and make sure u have proper technique. ALso if you dont wanna do deads, do hyper extensions! Also keep doing core work, situps, captain chairs, windmills, bycyles. If you dont have a strong core,your back will take alot of the abuse

reptikes
08-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by dehner47
welcome to the world of racing/ riding quads. :devil:

you wanna get a nice stretch in your back before and especially after a hard moto to work the stress outta the muscles. works awesome if you do it after every ride. you'll notice big dif right away. and to strengthen your back, start doing some back extentions to strengthen your lower and mid back. start with no weight and get your back use to the motions. in no time at all, your back will feel much better after riding.

Like posted above Stretch,Stretch, and Stretch! Don't just do a quick stretch and be done with it... Take a good 15-20 minutes and stretch BEFORE riding. Then another 10 minutes of stretching when your done. That 30 minutes a day will change you. Also like mentioned above, you don't need to lift wieghts right away just get used to the motions and stretching. Then ease yourself into it. Your back isn't like any other muscle group, when you get a bad back your really screwed. Take your time and do it right.

BlaineKaiser450
08-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Work your abs. I used to get terrible back pain from riding, but once i started working on my abs it transfered the work from my back to my stomach and now my back NEVER hurts

eastside 400
08-24-2009, 08:25 PM
get a kidney belt, they help alot, my back always used to hurt when i raced but its alot better with the kidney belt, it also helped my back to NOT do any excercises, i used to do back presses and stuff to strengthen the muscles but i found i had more back problems when i was doing that so i stopped doing any back excercises.

witech
08-24-2009, 08:32 PM
I had lower back problems for many years until I started rowing with a chain pull airdyne type rower . It made my life much more livable . No more back pain no matter how much I ride. 12 minutes every other day for a couple months .

derekhonda
08-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
get a kidney belt, they help alot, my back always used to hurt when i raced but its alot better with the kidney belt, it also helped my back to NOT do any excercises, i used to do back presses and stuff to strengthen the muscles but i found i had more back problems when i was doing that so i stopped doing any back excercises.

You bring up an interesting point, but thats only the cure if it is not muscles that are sore.

If it is a ligitimate pain, you may have a slip disk, torn disk, some sort of ligament damage ect ect.

But, 99% of the time the problem is just going to be muscle. Your muscles get sore from use when they are used to being used very infrequently. Your cure, eastside, would be like me saying my legs are sore after running, and your cure is to stop running. A kidney belt may help, but the bottom line is you need to wip those muscles back into riding shape.

Fred55
08-25-2009, 02:27 PM
I would suggest doing workouts that include everything core related, not just one section that is bothering you right now. Otherwise there will be a weak link and something new will come up. Try doing standing and bent over free weight work outs, this should make your entire core have to work to stabilize your self and get used to doing it, which is extremely important when riding as well. Things to try are DB rows as mentioned earlier, behind the neck presses, power cleans, and even some snatches if you are up to it. Make sure that you have proper technique while doing this or you could be in more pain than you began.

eastside 400
08-25-2009, 03:48 PM
well my back pain wasnt muscles, sorry i forgot to mention that. yea if its your muscles then you need to work them

fastredrider44
08-25-2009, 03:50 PM
I wear a kidney belt and sometimes the rare occasions that I do any conditioning, I do Supermans, crunches, and obliques. Those excercises make me feel those muscles in my back.:p

416exfreak
08-25-2009, 06:39 PM
This is the best thing I have ever found for strengthening your lower back and core muscles.

You dont HAVE to have this machine, as long as you can improvise with something around your house. Just look around and put stuff together.

You can also get some dumbells and use them for weight training. This also really gets your quads, thighs, and hams burning soooooo good!:D

416exfreak
08-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Pic helps..

JRP
08-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Pic helps..

hyperextensions =]