PDA

View Full Version : overheating!!!!

Tims660rap
08-23-2009, 08:49 PM
my 05 450s is overheating....fan wont kick on bike starts msoking after warm and dropping coolant.crank bearingjust went..motor rebuild was finished last week along wiht brand new gaskets seals ect. havent been running moe htna 2 days its overheating....everythings plugged in....junk sensor? any ideas i neeed to get this going,,, bike is popping on deceleration more often than ever befoe idk if that relates....any help appreciated!!!

SHIFTx450
08-25-2009, 10:02 AM
water pump. water pump is bad. it's also probably the cause of the crank seizing due to the heat in the first place..

Tims660rap
08-25-2009, 10:06 AM
crank didnt sieze, bearings blew apart like all cranks in 04-05 trx 450rs. if waterpump was bad the bike would overheat while driving...correct? it only overheats when it gets real hot idling.\, due to fan not kicking on. cant figure out why my fan is not working.

SHIFTx450
08-25-2009, 10:20 AM
why is it idling long enough to overheat? if your sitting there that long, turn the bike off.. and if your fan isn't working, check out the wiring/connections

Scro
08-25-2009, 10:23 AM
To check the fan - Pull the wire above the thermostat, and ground it while the bike is running. If the fan comes on, the fan motor is fine, and you have another problem. If it doesn't come on, something is wrong with the fan.

Tims660rap
08-25-2009, 10:28 AM
idk i let bike idle for 5mins here n their next thing you know antifreeze is bubbling...on the go it ownt overheat so its rideable, do i have to properly gound the wire or will just scraping it on frame make it spin?

Ruf Racing
08-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Yes, just ground the connector to a clean non-painted surface.

Tims660rap
08-25-2009, 11:25 AM
ok and if this dont work i got other issues....bigger issues.

Ruf Racing
08-25-2009, 11:36 AM
If the fan doesn't work grounding it, I would think your fan is bad.
If the fan works using this procedure, it could be the heat sensor
it plugs into. I had to change mind about a year ago.

Tims660rap
08-25-2009, 11:46 AM
well i tied scraping the wire against the frame but its painted ect so thats not eally "grounding" i had to leave the garage to get ready for work so ill have to ground it tonight and seee what happens. is their any chance my stator o cdi unit is failing to give juice to the fan or the fans just junk? i have no headlights tailights ect so i really dont kno if theirs power even getting to the fan.

Scro
08-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Also, if the stock switch assembly is removed (killswitch, headlights, etc), you have to splice the black and red wire together for the fan to work. Make sure it's the black wire, and not the black with white stripe.

Tims660rap
08-25-2009, 12:27 PM
it is removed.....and i bought the bike in the winter time maybe the fan never did work. what do u mean what wires need to be spliced? all i have is my key to shut the bike down, bike has no headlights or anything.

Scro
08-25-2009, 02:01 PM
There are 4 wires (black, black/white, red, and green) that come out of the switch assembly. These 4 wires go to a plug that is supposed to plug in underneath your hood. For the fan to work, you will need this plug. Once you have this plug (with the wires), splice the black and red together, and you will be good to go as long as everything else is right. You can leave the switch assembly removed, as long as you don't plan on running lights.

The fan rarely comes on, on these machines. If you're overheating that easy, it's not because your fan isn't working. Because you're popping on decel, I would say part of the problem could be a lean condition. If you know you are jetted correctly, try a new thermostat or a new radiator cap.

duke416ex
08-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Did you use new gaskets, also you might check your hot start to be sure that it isn't stuck open. That could cause the popping and a lean condition.

jlrenken
08-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Also, if the stock switch assembly is removed (killswitch, headlights, etc), you have to splice the black and red wire together for the fan to work. Make sure it's the black wire, and not the black with white stripe.

is that the same for an 09 honda to in order for the fan to work

Scro
08-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by jlrenken
is that the same for an 09 honda to in order for the fan to work

If it is a kicker, then yes. If it's electric start, it will have a few more wires for the button.

jlrenken
08-27-2009, 12:21 PM
what do u mean for the bottom what im tring to do is get rid of the control box and put a push botton for a the start. i dont have lights or anything like that.
thanks

Scro
08-27-2009, 01:18 PM
If that's the case, the wires for the headlights and stock killswitch will be the same. Just use the same method for the 04/05 (splicing black and red together), and that will take care of the fan. For the button, there should be two wires that are going to the stock button. You will have to take the control box apart to determine which ones they are. You can use these to wire the new button in.