PDA

View Full Version : engine shuts down

madini
08-23-2009, 06:03 PM
First time ever for engine problems on this machine.I was about 20 minutes into a poker run yesterday when my 525 stated to shut down on me.It would start back up and run for awhile then stop again this became more frequent until I had to call for a tow.I had plenty of gas oil and water.Gas cap was not plugged.TPS seemed in place and I could find no bare wires. We plan to check coil etc. for continuity tomorrow night as my riding buddy"s 525 recenly required a new coil,(it shut down all at once)in the meantime,can anyone offer any suggestions?

bferg911
08-24-2009, 09:23 AM
more and more guys are having this problem. Most are finding that the key switch is failing. Hope this helps.

madini
08-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the reply.That's one thing we didn't look at. The reading on my multimeter is a little out of range on my coil but that reading was taken before starting the engine.My machine runs as normal until after it warms up thoroughly.Tomorrow I'm going to get my 525 warmed up to the shutting down point then switch out the coil from my buddy's 525 to see if that cures the problem.

FWC Preddy
08-24-2009, 07:11 PM
just match the wires from the key cylinder and crimp them together. the kill switch by ur left thumb becomes ur key

madini
08-25-2009, 06:25 PM
I like that idea a lot.I think I'll do that even if it's not my "cure" for the shutting down problem. Today I ran my 525 around my place until it stopped running about three times in five minutes.I quickly switched out my buddy's 525 coil and continued riding around for 15 or 20 minutes without any problems.Just to make sure I put my "faulty" coil back on and expected it to fail as it did earlier. YOU GUESSED IT !!!! Damn thing ran fine for at least 20 minutes and showed no signs of shutting down at all. I ran out of time for today so tomorrow I will resume testing. If I can get it to fail again I'll incorporate the "key trick".....Thanks again..any more ideas?

madini
09-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Replaced coil with a new one and did a cross country poker run twice yesterday.KTM ran as new.I usually see what wears or breaks on my buddy's 525 and I find my quad will need the fix very soon. I can see tires,ball joints,axle bearings maybe.But a damn coil? We ride the same places at the same times,he rides a lot harder than I but this is strange........Thanks again for the replies for your suggestions,I'll put them in my memory bank.

XtremeSkier
09-08-2009, 08:32 AM
mine does this too, i'm ordering a coil today and a Fourwerx Carbonfiber Heatshield to go in between my carb and my exhaust..

my quads been cutting alot worse on a hot days, i've heard nothing but good things about that carbon fiber heatshield

jlhughes750
09-18-2009, 08:51 AM
I just went through this same thing.....it is without a doubt the faulty key switch!!!

i was over at ktm forums and they brought it to my attention!!

next time the bike dies...turn off the key and turn it back on..it will probably fire right up..the tumblers in the switch appearently go bad...mine died 3x during a race and refired every time i turned off and back on!! I hot wired the key switch to test it and it hs not done this since!!!

jlhughes750
09-18-2009, 08:54 AM
http://www.ktmatvhq.com/forum/invision/index.php?showtopic=3228