View Full Version : straightened bent axle bad to ride on?

Jessem24
08-23-2009, 04:35 PM
the axle on my 400 bent slightly, so my dad bent it back on a press. its straight now but everyone tells me that if i ride it and land wrong, it will snap not bend. is that true?

aDviSol2y
08-24-2009, 09:45 AM
When it bent it created a weak point. When you bent it back, it made it even weaker. So do not be surprised if you bend it again or break it.

Honda 250r 001
08-24-2009, 10:26 AM
you wont break it unless you land completely wrong going for the 90 foot triple. imo, IT will be find for a while but get a aftermarket extended one as soon as you get the the chance.

Pipeless416
08-24-2009, 07:57 PM
cold working.. which is what bending it and bending it back is, will actually make the metal much harder.. toughness is the resistance to breaking. when a material becomes harder, it typically loses its toughness.. it becomes brittle. think of a carbide drill bit- its very hard, and they will not bend. however, they will shatter or crack. hope this helps explain the concept a little better.

timmersam
08-27-2009, 04:11 AM
I bent my lonestar on my old 250r. I had it bent back and the first day I went to the track it bent again.

Sam

aDviSol2y
08-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by timmersam
I bent my lonestar on my old 250r. I had it bent back and the first day I went to the track it bent again.

Sam

Lonestar will replace it for free!! True lifetime warranty.

timmersam
08-28-2009, 01:23 AM
I thought they would only replace broken axles and would bend them back free of charge?

Sam

Scro
08-28-2009, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by timmersam
I thought they would only replace broken axles and would bend them back free of charge?

Sam

And only if you are the original owner with warranty card.

motohanks
08-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Scro
And only if you are the original owner with warranty card.
do you know if it's the same with Laeger's axles?

Scro
08-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by motohanks
do you know if it's the same with Laeger's axles?

I have no idea.

motohanks
08-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Scro
I have no idea.
thanks anyway. I tried to get in contact with the original owner of my yfz, but he hasn't responded yet. I guess I will do some research.

BlaineKaiser450
08-29-2009, 10:57 AM
The axle will eventually break or bend again. but I wouldnt worry unless you are doing some serious mx or hard riding

Toadz400
09-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Like others have said, anytime you bend something and bend it back it will create a weak spot. It will bend easier next time and it has an increased chance of breaking. Every axle is unique, it may never bend again or break or the next time you hit a jump it could break.

ejmoan
09-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Re Lonestar bending back bent axles.... when mine bent I called them (acted like I knew what I was doing), they gave me a shipping reference #, I paid the shipping to there location, they straightened it and sent it back to me free of charge. I was the 2nd owner. I simply called and said I had a bent lonestar and the told me what to do. I put it back on the quad, ran 10+ local races, several practices and 5 nationals and have not noticed any issues. so far. I think you will be OK. Try to use Lonestar as they know what they are doing. My opinon anyway. Good luck!