PDA

View Full Version : airbox mod

novak8
08-23-2009, 02:48 PM
im not exactly sure wha this will do yet because the quad is not currently running, but just figured i could see what everyone else thought about it. all it is, is a big fan from an old computer that i mounted on the airbox lid. the reason that i riveted that piece of aluminum on is because i had previously modified the lid and the fan wouldnt work right if i didnt put it on there.--BTW i still havnt hooked the switch to it yet--

novak8
08-23-2009, 02:49 PM
2nd picture

novak8
08-23-2009, 02:50 PM
3rd picture

novak8
08-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Last picture

mmbintn
08-23-2009, 03:13 PM
If you put a powerful enough fan there and seal the box, it could almost work like a weak turbo. It would have to be a much more powerful fan though.

Fayettevillin
08-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by mmbintn
If you put a powerful enough fan there and seal the box, it could almost work like a weak turbo. It would have to be a much more powerful fan though.

yea like the electric turbos they sell for cars... but if it did make enuff power it will still be blowing when u stop building pressure!..unless u fab up some kinda wastegate

mmbintn
08-23-2009, 03:31 PM
It would be alot more involved than what I said but it would be cool to see.

novak8
08-23-2009, 05:06 PM
i do have it almost completely sealed except for where the wires come out of the box..and there is a good bit of pressure coming out of the hole while the fan's on..idt think it will be any crazy amounts of power but i bet it will still do something.. and what kind of fan would be about that size but have more power?

Pipeless416
08-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by novak8
i do have it almost completely sealed except for where the wires come out of the box..and there is a good bit of pressure coming out of the hole while the fan's on..idt think it will be any crazy amounts of power but i bet it will still do something.. and what kind of fan would be about that size but have more power?

a 4 inch spal fan like people use for their oil coolers move a lot of air for their size..

novak8
08-23-2009, 05:52 PM
do you know where i could find one for cheap?

djcluejs
08-23-2009, 07:06 PM
it looks like a pc fan lol

Ryan'07400ex
08-23-2009, 07:06 PM
do you know where i could find one for cheap?

Search "4" SPAL fan" on ebay

novak8
08-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by djcluejs
it looks like a pc fan lol

it is, if you read the top..

i came off one of those old gateways that were real big..altho it is a pc fan, it dos move the air quite well..cant wait to see what it does once i get the quad running

novak8
08-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
a 4 inch spal fan like people use for their oil coolers move a lot of air for their size..

hey pipeless416, i just watched you're video of the dual exhaust. that is one SICK quad.. about how long did it take? and about what did it cost you?

Pipeless416
08-23-2009, 08:25 PM
hey pipeless416, i just watched you're video of the dual exhaust. that is one SICK quad.. about how long did it take? and about what did it cost you?

thanks man. the entire project took about 5 months between school, work, and all the other little setbacks that came along with rebuilding my engine. heres the thread that i documented pretty much everything in from beginning to end.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=379722&highlight=duals

again, i appreciate the comments.

BikeSwimLaugh
08-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Dude...

Prop's for a clean install...but the sad truth is that the fan won't do a darn thing aside from moving a bit of air and sucking a bit of juice from the battery.

Remove the fan. Get a piece of foam that is about 1/2-inch larger then the opening. Use a piece of 1/2-inch square screen (like you'd use on a chicken coop) and make a way to secure the screen behind the foam. Your done.

That fan won't tolerate any water..so it'll die when exposed to moisture. That fan moves a bit of air but it's not like an air-supply is inhibited under the seat. It would take Mr.Spock with his tri-corder to register any real increase in air-pressure on account of that fan. No way in hell it'll have any semblance of "boost" as a turbo would have...not, even, close.

In fact, double the size of your opening, double the size of the piece of foam and double the screen-grid you'll use to secure it. Get a K&N air-filter, an after-market pipe and re-jet to a 42 and you'll see some gain. Beyond that, you've just attached a useless little fan to your quad.

Kudo's for the effort, slap on the wrist for thinking like a computer-nerd chick! ;) :D

Snipe
08-23-2009, 11:42 PM
For the fact that it wont work I believe that to be a load of bull ****. Just cause its under the seat dont mean it wont force air into the box. If that was the case then running a open air box system would be useless as well. Hell the stock air intake is mounted under the gas tank even tighter than under the seat. So your theory on it not moving air cause its under the seat goes out the door in the trash.

but the water thing is true, its a PC fan not sealed it will fail first time it draws moisture to it.

Only other problem I see is it clogging your air filter blowing dirt/dust directly on the filter.

tri5ron
08-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Snipe
For the fact that it wont work I believe that to be a load of bull ****. Just cause its under the seat dont mean it wont force air into the box. If that was the case then running a open air box system would be useless as well. Hell the stock air intake is mounted under the gas tank even tighter than under the seat. So your theory on it not moving air cause its under the seat goes out the door in the trash.

but the water thing is true, its a PC fan not sealed it will fail first time it draws moisture to it.

Only other problem I see is it clogging your air filter blowing dirt/dust directly on the filter. Sorry guys, but I'm with BikeSwimLaugh on this one.
You simply can not force more air, through a carbureted engine, by creating a higher than static pressure, on the intake side of the carburetor.
It simply dosent work that way.

A carburetor works off of NEGETIVE pressure created by the VACUUM of the engine.
It delivers the fuel, via a venturi and fuel jet.
Try to think of it as a sort of minature "siphon".

Thats what "Jetting" is all about.

It's great to see that your trying to think of better ways to deliver more flow,... but that simply isn't the way.

Theoetically, it might work, if you were to pressurize the ENTIRE carb, (I.E.- including the vents to the float bowl), but that would also require isolating the carb from the ambient air pressure, and providing a variable flow rate, of both air and fuel, relative the the engines rpm, and optimum consumption capacity.
this would basically render a Jet useless, and hence, moves you into the realm of fuel injection.

in other words, It just wont work with a carb.

but since we are now talking in THEORY,...
IF... you were able to put the fan INBETWEEN the carb, and the intake,...
AND... IF you were able to create enough NEGATIVE pressure on the carb, and STILL provide enough cfm to the engines requirements,....
it might possibly work.

but then you would have the inherent problem of flowing fuel across an electric motor. (Not Good).

Hence, this is why turbo chargers put air directly into the cylinder(s), and why Superchargers are belt driven.

so as far as Carbueretors are concerned,...
it is far better to be Sucked.... on,
than Blown.... into.

(being Married,... I sometimes wish I was a Carburetor !!!:devil: :devil: :devil: )

Ryanwolfe911
08-24-2009, 05:47 AM
Yeah +1. That won't do ****, other than help dirt get into your airbox. A PC fan can't create any positive manifold pressure, it isn't possible.

novak8
08-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Snipe

Only other problem I see is it clogging your air filter blowing dirt/dust directly on the filter.

i already thought of that. thats y it is mounted so far back in the lid so that its blowing on the bottom of the box, and not the filter

novak8
08-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by BikeSwimLaugh

In fact, double the size of your opening, double the size of the piece of foam and double the screen-grid you'll use to secure it. Get a K&N air-filter, an after-market pipe and re-jet to a 42 and you'll see some gain. Beyond that, you've just attached a useless little fan to your quad.

i already have a K&N precharger, and a FMF slip-on..i just havnt rejetted it yet. will they show any amount of power increase without rejetting it?