PDA

View Full Version : pitbulls and insurance

standardryder
08-23-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm lookin to get a dog and my insurance WILL NOT cover me with a pitbull, but I'm looking to get an american staffordshire terrier. The dogs are very similar and the akc does list them as a different breed but ukc has them as the same. Does anybody know if insurance cos will still refuse coverage with this dog?
Thanks

Brian

dehner47
08-23-2009, 04:24 PM
some will. some wont. cause a staffy is still considered a "bully breed" and some ins companys shy away from all "bull breeds" dogs.

what i did is get your vet to write papers stateing they are a "mixed" breed dog. they wont ask for pics or really anything at all.

if you dont mind me asking, why you wanna tell them you have a dog. not like they come to your home for inspections or anyhting.

standardryder
08-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Well its not exactly my insurance, I rent and its my landlords that are worried. They said its ok for a dog but its really their insurance. This dog I want Im adopting from a shelter and its a staffordshire mix, not sure whats its mixed with but im pretty sure its not a pitbull. I may go to the insurance co and check with them personally, if it is ok Ill get it in writing and see where it goes from there.