PDA

View Full Version : powder coat

honda400ex2003
08-22-2009, 08:30 PM
can motors be powdercoated or does it get too hot. i know it is baked at like 400 but will it get messed up when it is a couple of hundred from the heat? im bored so i figured this would be another cool thing to find out about. lol, steve

born2ride14
08-22-2009, 08:32 PM
they have high temp powders but the regular powders are good up to 450

honda400ex2003
08-22-2009, 08:34 PM
cool thanks so anything would be good to go on a machine then. i bet all of the seals would be messed up though when it gets baked. i guess i did not think about that when i started the thread. what ya gonna do LOL. steve

born2ride14
08-22-2009, 08:49 PM
I hope you didnt think you could just PC a assembled motor haha.

Yes the motor must be dissasimbled masked coated and reasembled

honda400ex2003
08-22-2009, 08:53 PM
no no, you would still have to take everything apart but i was thinking about leaving some together like the bottom end and just plug the holes tight. i dont know how it is done except that the parts are charged and particles of powder are charged opposite and they stick then you bake them. would plugging holes work or not even? i would not do this i was just curious about if it would work or not. i would make sure eveything is taken apart and clean before i ever did any thing like that. thanks for the info. steve

Ba9801
08-23-2009, 09:56 AM
You would need to have everything completely disassembled, There are plugs and special tape that are put over areas that should not have powder coat on them. The part needs to be completely clean for the powder to stick. The parts are typically sand blasted before hand. And then it needs to be baked, I for one would not want any internal engine component susceptible to any of these processes. Also if heat is a question you could put ceramic coating on it. That is the the coating that is used on all the good car headers. We have also used the ceramic on all types of high heat application, Automotive parts like brake calipers, brake rotors, brake drums, Intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, headers, exhaust systems. Powder coat works great for just about everything else. We have full suspensions and frames done in powder coat all the time. It is extremely durable.
If anyone is interested in Powder Coat or Ceramic coatings just let me know. My friend has a complete powder facility and can do any of 1000's of colors.

honda400ex2003
08-23-2009, 12:34 PM
thanks for all of the info ba. steve

mmbintn
08-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Ba9801
You would need to have everything completely disassembled, There are plugs and special tape that are put over areas that should not have powder coat on them. The part needs to be completely clean for the powder to stick. The parts are typically sand blasted before hand. And then it needs to be baked, I for one would not want any internal engine component susceptible to any of these processes. Also if heat is a question you could put ceramic coating on it. That is the the coating that is used on all the good car headers. We have also used the ceramic on all types of high heat application, Automotive parts like brake calipers, brake rotors, brake drums, Intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, headers, exhaust systems. Powder coat works great for just about everything else. We have full suspensions and frames done in powder coat all the time. It is extremely durable.
If anyone is interested in Powder Coat or Ceramic coatings just let me know. My friend has a complete powder facility and can do any of 1000's of colors.

Have you tried ceramic coating the header of a 400? If so did you do inside and out?

Ba9801
08-23-2009, 01:56 PM
I have not done mine yet, I am planing on taking my bike apart this winter and powdering the frame and ceramic coating the pipe. We have done full length headers for cars inside and out and then we polish them, they look excellent.

Here is a good idea of what the ceramic looks like on a set of headers.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg138/ba9801/70%20Cuda%20-%20Larry/DSC00856.jpg

mmbintn
08-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I love ceramic coated header. I always run them on my vehicles. I do know though that if you dont coat the inside it will rust out from inside. I wonder how much it would cost to coat a set of 400 headers.

Ba9801
08-23-2009, 02:53 PM
I can get a price for you tomorrow

RoadRage77
08-23-2009, 06:28 PM
BA.. do you use the guys down off of the Cottman Av Exit on i95? Those headers look sharp on that motor! I was told not to PC the 400ex motor because it keeps the heat in the motor.

Ba9801
08-23-2009, 07:01 PM
No I use J & B Powder Coaters Inc. on Sternermill Road, in Feasterville. They are good friends of mine.
I actually will be moving my shop next to theirs on Oct 1.

Ba9801
08-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Looks like to ceramic coat the header inside & out would be around $85.00