PDA

View Full Version : '96 wolverine trouble

snipit
08-22-2009, 10:11 AM
over the last 5 years it has gotten worse and worse.... I have had it into 3 different shops and nobody can figure it out.... heres the problem..

When the machine gets hot...... it starts to loooose power, almost like the parking break is on. (which I disconnected) It has gotten to the point over the years that now when it is hot I can't even load it back into the truck, it almost sounds like it is going to backfire. I either have to let it sit for an hour or so to cool... or find a stream to ride thru to cool it off. Once thru the water... It is back to full power and speed, that is until it gets hot again in 10-15 minutes.

It has a K&N filter and a fmf megamax, and was also "rejetted" by one of the shops.

The last shop found the slide diaphram was leaking and so they "repaired it" and solved the problem. They were wrong. It still sucks.

I have flushed the oil cooler system, ran some gas additive/cleaner thru the system, attempted to clean the disks of the fmf (they are unable to remove now. (rust)

any suggestions??? I have run out of shops in my area to take it to... and they all say there is nothing they can do.

usp4u
08-22-2009, 09:29 PM
First thing: The muffler is no longer serviceable due to neglect. Fix that first, its not your main problem, but that is a serviceable item and there is no excuse for it being in that kind of condition.
Now, usually when someone tells me that they have have issues when hot, I immedieatly think electrical. Stator, CDI, plug or wire. However, you say its been like this for 5 (!) years. If it were electrical, after 5 years a part would have failed completely. So now, the next move on a four stroke that exibits poor starting & power when hot is to check the valves. Not sure but I dont think the Wolverine is an OHC motor. Therefor, instead of checking vale to cm lobe clearence(which is what you will hear about the most on sites like this), you will what to check the valve/rocker LASH, or...the clearence between the pushrod/rocker arm between the lifter or cam lobe. Consult a service manual for correct clearence.

snipit
08-23-2009, 10:55 AM
usp4u,

Point well taken. The exhaust froze up the first year... and Yes I should have taken better care of it, but at the time... oh well, no excuses. That is why the new muffler is already on the way.

The electrical issue is interesting... To say it has been 5 years seems like alot, but for most that would be 5 months. Up until now, (the last 8 years or so..) I would only get to ride maybe a couple of times a year. But we are changing that now. I did change the plug, but will now look into the wire, stator and cdi

I did have the valves looked at and adjusted... but that has been a few years ago...

I really appreciate your insight