PDA

View Full Version : suzuki lt80 hard starting

joe400
08-22-2009, 05:54 AM
I have a 04 suzuki lt 80.I purchased it a few months ago from my uncle.It would run,but kept trying to flood out.It had sat for a while so I thought maybe varnished carb.Cleaned the carb.No help.I ordered a rebuild kit.No help.Finally a new carb.It does run better,but still hard to start.I checked the compression it was at 90psi,So i put new top end(rings,piston,bearing,gasket).Now it has 105psi.Is that normal?It runs and idle great once you get it to crank.I dont know what to try next,maybe reed valve,or could I have a crack it the head or jug.MY son loves it,and Id like to get it right.PLEASE help.Im at my wits end,and dont now what to try next.

LT80
08-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Welcome to the forums. :)
The reed may be cracked.
Umm, your new top end, you got the same size piston or the next size and had the cylinder bored?
105 could be correct as the piston/rings have not seated yet (if iot was bored).
Try hand choking it. Put 2 fingers in front of the carb and try to start.
Let's go from there.

joe400
08-22-2009, 07:31 PM
I didnt get the cylinder rebored.It looked pretty good.I know I should have.I used the standard size piston.When you put your fingers over the carb to choke it,It wont even try to crank.I noticed while changing the top-end that everything under the plastics was coated with oil.I guess that could be from years of use.Could it be the crankcase seal?How hard is it to change?When i take the reed out wil i be able to tell for sure if its bad/cracked?

LT80
08-23-2009, 06:42 AM
I don't know why there is oil coated under the motor plastic. Usually a blown head or base gasket.
Seals usually suck air as opposed to leak oil out.
Yes, if you check the reed you'll know if it's cracked.
Which way did you put the arrow on the piston? Toward front or back?
Let's get something straight..-->"It wont even try to crank"
The motor will not turn over or it will not try to start?
When you used your fingers to hand choke, did it feel like it's sucking in air?

joe400
08-23-2009, 10:50 AM
When i put my fingers over the carb i can feel it sucking,but it doesnt sound like its firing.The only way to start it is to pat the gas while starting.It spits and sputters then sometimes it catches and cranks up.If you hold the throttle open or choke with fingers it just turns over with no sputtering.I put the arrow to the rear(exhaust port).Ive read all of the post that had anything to do with the lt80.I would have put it forward otherwise.

joe400
08-24-2009, 04:21 PM
today i checked the reed valve.It looked good.I also tried a new plug.Really dont know where to go next.It crunk up yesterday and the kids rode for a few hours.I think it going to the dealer tommorrow.I appreciate the help.Any final thought?

LT80
08-24-2009, 06:30 PM
I think it's good that your having someone look at it. :)

joe400
09-07-2009, 03:44 PM
The shop found the prob.It was the crancase seal.Replaced it, runs excellent.I figured I would post it on here to let everyone know.Thanks for the help lt80.