PDA

View Full Version : might be cool

honda400ex2003
08-21-2009, 08:42 PM
alright so i was sitting in my hot tub and i thought about something that could be pretty cool to learn about for alot of people. how does a place like the harley museum store a motorcycle for long periods of time? Do they just drain the gas out and leave the oil and stuff in it or do they empty everything. i think it would be cool to find out about anyway so give me the low down. thanks, steve

Fayettevillin
08-22-2009, 09:28 AM
ur "supposed" to drain all the fluid out it will breakdown over time

bigbad400
08-22-2009, 10:58 AM
synthetic oil will last like forever. i would not want things to dry seize together, aluminum and steel are not good together without constant lube or they corrode solid. i would store my stuff with good synthetic oil and turn it over once it a while, and as far as gas tank i would empty it and use a rust stopper like penetrating oil to keep it from rusting, again you could do that like once a year and it wouldnt rust. i dont know what a museum would use thow if you know of one call them and see.

katch26
08-22-2009, 12:22 PM
you just wanted everyone to know you had a hot tub without sounding stuck up lol

I imagine even those old bikes get turned over every once in awhile to move the fluids around

honda400ex2003
08-22-2009, 07:59 PM
yup, ^^ lol. i was thinking that you might be able to spray some wd40 in the cylinder and stuff along with draining the gas out. synthetic would work well for the oil too. i never thought about that. i was thinking about getting a 400 one day to store in stock mint condition. i would put a new stock cylinder and stock parts on it just to keep it brand new from whatever year. i have all of my stock parts just for that reason. i will keep them incase i have to do this some day. lol. thanks for the info and keep it coming if you know anything. steve