PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Kentucky drivers

Pappy
08-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Ive been to countless states this season, and by far, you all seem to be the worst drivers i've seen so far in 2009!

Nice 6 car pile up due to excessive speed and wet roads.....it was a pleasurable 2 1/2 hour sit on your highway!

You beat Pennslyvania by a mile and they are pretty bad

This has been brought to you by the annual Pappys worst drivers opinion poll

:blah:

rollie
08-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Ever been to Rhode Island,, ohhh man there bad

Pappy
08-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Yep, and KY beat it this season!

In all seriousness, SLOW THE **** DOWN!!!!!

08-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

:blah: yaaaa i know when we were going to cabela's(the one in west virginia kinda by wheeling and fallansbee)and we got in a traffic jam for half an hour on like neble island i think its called idk,and then 5miles from cabelas we got in a traffic jam and it took us 1 1/2 hours to go 5 friken miles!!!!!!and pappy this is totally off topic of the thread but do u run this whole website??

Pappy
08-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Son, you were in WV if you were 5 miles from cabelas in Wheeling, but the traffic was probably caused by a PA driver:o

No, I run the world....no time for the website:devil:

powermadd400ex
08-21-2009, 09:55 PM
hmm my dad is from harlan, that explains why he has a led foot :D

Ralph
08-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Worst ive driven is Florida especially on 95 towards miami....

I love PA drivers. They all do 65 single file in the right lane. No cops and I never get stuck behind some numbnut.

Sjorge450R
08-21-2009, 10:03 PM
hold it! Its the new Jersey people that have moved to PA that make PA drivers bad....

Jersey is the worst ever.

250x_kyle
08-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
hold it! Its the new Jersey people that have moved to PA that make PA drivers bad....

i want to shake your hand. its so true my bro lived in jersey city for 3 years and i hated going out there. everyones so damn worried about whats in the news paper then the car there driving in traffic.:confused:

extremeblastr
08-21-2009, 10:20 PM
No, I run the world....

what the hell man, you been slackin off cuz this place is an effin mess.

250x_kyle
08-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
what the hell man, you been slackin off cuz this place is an effin mess.

thats due to sitting in a cluttery mess from all the bad driving.

Pappy
08-21-2009, 11:29 PM
sometimes a mess looks like mess only to those tangled in it...

"free your mind, your *** will follow":cool:

CNC_guy
08-22-2009, 07:18 AM
:rolleyes:

You must have been in Northern Kentucky. If you were in Southern KY, it was probably part of the Ohio Navy causing problems.;)

mkh155
08-22-2009, 08:22 AM
sometimes a mess looks like mess only to those tangled in it...

"free your mind, your *** will follow":cool: thats pretty good

ZeroLogic
08-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX

That and the New Yorkers.

It gets worse and worse every year. Stuck behind two NJers on a highway doing 45 as they attempt to pass eachother. They do 25 on a 35 and yank the wheel over without singals because they are lost. Use both sides of the road while they are on their cell phones. Cut people off and ride up their asses.

Milford is dead during the winter, but when these leafers come up to see the trees turn green traffic gets so bad on weekends its three miles up the road each way.

Robin Hood
08-22-2009, 01:17 PM
New Yorkers are much worse than we are. They're the ones doing 100 on the highway and weaving in and out of traffic.

Pa people tend to drive too slow lol. And the road work in Pa never seems to get finished?

ZeroLogic
08-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Robin Hood

Pa people tend to drive too slow lol. And the road work in Pa never seems to get finished?

PennDot has been working on a bridge up the road from me for around 2 or 3 years. They built the Empire State building in two years. Somethings worng.

yellowzo3
08-22-2009, 03:29 PM
well, i live in nj and i can tell you that the bad drivers in this state are the ones that don't belong in this country if you catch my drift. we have a TON of cars with pa and nc plates that these folks drive also. we also seem to have indian drivers that are oblivious to any laws and think they're the only ones on the road. ANYONE from nj on here will agree with me.

JR3
08-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
well, i live in nj and i can tell you that the bad drivers in this state are the ones that don't belong in this country if you catch my drift. we have a TON of cars with pa and nc plates that these folks drive also. we also seem to have indian drivers that are oblivious to any laws and think they're the only ones on the road. ANYONE from nj on here will agree with me.

+1 even the nice areas are turning into little mexico around here just like cockroaches dude they invest and breed.

08-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Florida has some real bad drivers with old people and tourists. Too many driving style mixed and it doesnt work out all that well. However like living up north and being used to driving in the snow, down here its the rain. I feel completely comfortable driving 80MPH+ when its pouring out. I guess its just something you get used to. Alligator Alley = best road ever lol its like a race from coast to coast. You can be doing 100MPH and someone will make you look like your in reverse. I can deal with people passing me like i'm standing still but people that are going slow under the speed limit or you have to move over to the right lane to pass people I start to get some road rage and usually pass with the finger up or a dirty look. I'm on I4 last night, 3 lanes wide and I have to go to the far right lane a few times to pass people because people are driving 15MPH under for no reason theres no one ahead of them. Atleast move over. Thats what slow traffic is supposed to do move over for you to pass.

250x_kyle
08-22-2009, 09:20 PM
snow rain sleet and hail pull her in 4 wd and hold on for the ride. :D

hondaking52
08-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
snow rain sleet and hail pull her in 4 wd and hold on for the ride. :D psh, who needs 4wd, you should see the stuff we drive thru in 2wd!, 3 foot snow drift aint nothing, lol, my ranger will go anywhere!!!!

Quad18star
08-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by hondaking52
psh, who needs 4wd, you should see the stuff we drive thru in 2wd!, 3 foot snow drift aint nothing, lol, my ranger will go anywhere!!!!

Chit I do that with my Saturn Ion with Summer tires !!!!!:devil:

hondaking52
08-23-2009, 04:24 PM
haha, snow just make's it more fun to drive, btw, motomaster all seasons all thee way!!!

Quad18star
08-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by hondaking52
haha, snow just make's it more fun to drive, btw, motomaster all seasons all thee way!!!

I call Motomaster out on their "All Season" tire ... actually I call out all tire manufacturers. I have yet to see a company with an "All-Season Tire" which will perform well in +30 and -30 degrees.

I guess "All-Season" means Spring , Summer and Fall.

hondaking52
08-23-2009, 05:13 PM
should just call em ''most seasons'' lol

TRXman86
08-23-2009, 06:53 PM
So how many of you have drove through Chicago from 3:30-6pm Mon-Sat??? Y'all have JACK till you go thru there!!! This past winter when them roads were being closed left and right for ice, those crazy "FRUTS" (subbed for another F word) would fly around like I was stuck under the gate! Slidin all over and never miss a beat. Hell there was even a 60 year old lady off in the ditch actin like she was still on the road. i went by and she gave me the bird :O Go through there... YOU WILL SEE!!! It's worse then ST. Louis, louisville, Baton Rouge, and any other place I been through... I never will go through there again as long as I live :eek2:

Pipeless416
08-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by TRXman86
So how many of you have drove through Chicago from 3:30-6pm Mon-Sat??? Y'all have JACK till you go thru there!!! This past winter when them roads were being closed left and right for ice, those crazy "FRUTS" (subbed for another F word) would fly around like I was stuck under the gate! Slidin all over and never miss a beat. Hell there was even a 60 year old lady off in the ditch actin like she was still on the road. i went by and she gave me the bird :O Go through there... YOU WILL SEE!!! It's worse then ST. Louis, louisville, Baton Rouge, and any other place I been through... I never will go through there again as long as I live :eek2:

:p :p gotta love it. my gripe is wisconsin drivers.. i swear, they just don't understand rules of the road haha

Pappy
08-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Saturday, on the road into the Charity ride, a 12 year old boy was run over and killed. From the looks of the blood stain and teh police markings, he was dead in the middle of the lane.:(

fastredrider44
08-24-2009, 11:10 AM

In all seriousness, SLOW THE **** DOWN!!!!!

What's that mean? Slow down? Nope, not registering in my brain.

insaneracin2003
08-24-2009, 11:48 AM
hhmmmm, travel on I-10 through Houston.....that'll get yer nutz roasting....

Pappy
08-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by insaneracin2003
hhmmmm, travel on I-10 through Houston.....that'll get yer nutz roasting....

Is there still a burnt up car every 2 miles?

fastredrider44
08-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Florida... When I was leaving the florida national this year, I set my cruise at 99mph, and did NOT take the cruise off from getting on at one exit and getting off for more gas. Funny thing was I spent about as much time in the middle lane getting passed. It was nuts. By the way, a 97 Z71 ext cab with the 5.7 and a fourwheeler in the back get 16 mpg at 99mph. :cool:

Oh yeah, on that same trip, I got in a traffic jam in ATL and thought I was gonna run outta gas before I could get off the road.

insaneracin2003
08-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Is there still a burnt up car every 2 miles?
haha. no, the eerrrr illeagles snatch those up as fix-er-uppers....

400exrider707
08-24-2009, 02:00 PM
The only thing I cant stand when on a wide open stretch of road, is slow drivers in the left lane.... Slow drivers need to move to the right hand side of the road. I live in NY and travel on the thruway quite often, most often its out of state drivers who cant seem to get the concept of slow drivers to the right, though all states have their guilty drivers.

If you see this coming behind you on the NYS thruway, GTF out of my way...

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e166/400exrider707/FrontEndBIG.jpg

JAKE YATES
08-24-2009, 02:15 PM
EVERYTHING IS FAST IN KENTUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!

TN_cowboy
08-24-2009, 02:37 PM
fl drivers are awsome drivers it all the friggin snow birds and other northern drivers that cant drive. they have signs on the side of the road thats says how many more mile till the exit you should get over when you see the first one and not try and take out as many people as you can when you see exit now. stupid idiots.

extremeblastr
08-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by TN_cowboy
fl drivers are awsome drivers it all the friggin snow birds and other northern drivers that cant drive. they have signs on the side of the road thats says how many more mile till the exit you should get over when you see the first one and not try and take out as many people as you can when you see exit now. stupid idiots.

ha you can hate on all those "snowbirds" but i'll tell you we hate you southerners comin up here and pretendin like you know how to drive in the snow. when you can drive a 2wd truck down a back road at 50 with 6in of snow on the ground and not be a danger to others on the road then MAYBE we can discuss driving skills.

fastredrider44
08-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by JAKE YATES
EVERYTHING IS FAST IN KENTUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn Straight:macho

Pappy
08-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Damn Straight:macho

except 12 year olds

fastredrider44
08-24-2009, 03:35 PM
except 12 year olds

Who's 12?

Pappy
08-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Who's 12?

I geuss your too fast, you did not read where I posted a 12 year old boy was run over and killed on the road where the charity event I was at was held

fastredrider44
08-24-2009, 05:19 PM
My bad, I did read that, but did not know that thats why you were going to go ahead and call all of us Kentucky drivers bad drivers. But that's cool. Whatever:rolleyes:

Pappy
08-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Actually I formed my opinion the day before the boy was killed, this post was made friday evening, he was killed saturday. My opinion is based on first hand observation, the poor kid getting whacked was just ironic. I was passed at that spot on saturday morning on a double yellow line...its a 45 mph zone and the truck passed me easily doing 65. I told my wife someone was going to die on that road, less then 5 hours later it indeed happened.

Take it for what its worth. If your pride cant handle what image your states citizens project, then maybe you all do indeed have issues. You have no issue bragging about speed, might as well brag about the body counts as well.

Our state is riddled with drunk drivers, something I complain about weekly to our local state pd. I spoke to several officers at the event, countless area residents and even the mayor of the town...all concur that the driving in that region is horrible.

fastredrider44
08-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Not my fault that there's tons of people that don't know how to drive. It's not my pride that's hurt. I was joking with Jake. Nothing personal, and I don't mean to brag about speeding, but I have never had a wreck either. But I'm sure that Kentucky is the only place that traffic acidents happen. I've driven in West Virginia and I'm not on here complaining about how crazy some of the people are that speed on those mountain roads.... Met a school bus flying on a road and over the double yellow. Thats worse than one boy getting killed IMO.

Pappy
08-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Couldnt agree more:p

I was serious at the first post but in a joking way, once the kid got killed, I lost the humor. I even took a picture to put in here but it has lost its snap.

i was going to ask how bad of drivers you all are if you need to be told you cant drive on water

fastredrider44
08-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Lol. That's pretty good. I still like the signs that say "road may be wet during rain" and ICE on bridge, that stay up year round. :D

Pappy
08-24-2009, 08:38 PM
I'll give you another example from saturday....

I start pulling away from a gas pump when i see this ford ranger come across 4 lanes ...ran the red light. my wife almost spilled her coffee because this guy almost got creamed. He whips in the parking lot, and runs the light AGAIN going back across all 4 lanes!

There must be some damn good drugs in the water is all I can say!

08-24-2009, 08:59 PM
ha you can hate on all those "snowbirds" but i'll tell you we hate you southerners comin up here and pretendin like you know how to drive in the snow.

a lot of us can drive in the snow lol. born in the north and I would never go back sorry... Also to the setting cruise control at 99MPH through FL post, dont get pulled over in FL for speeding lol. They are extremely strict theres no getting off if its FHP. The reason being Florida is #1 in accidents. Ever been to Orlando? theres the reason... oh look at that store mickey mouse t shirts lol seriously its so bad in Orlando with tourists I hate having to go there. I tried to make good timing on a 1200 mile trip and did almost double the speed limit from FL to NY. I did make good timing only 2 cars in 1200 miles were actually going faster and there were only 2 police shooting radar and that was in FL. Yes I know my actions are extremely dumb.

Pipeless416
08-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
a lot of us can drive in the snow lol.

i'll be the first to say that some can, but most can't. i remember somebody on here from louisiana giving somebody from wisconsin tips on driving in snow.. "if you start to lose control, just gas it!" lol.. point proven.

CNC_guy
08-25-2009, 07:20 AM
Take it for what its worth. If your pride cant handle what image your states citizens project, then maybe you all do indeed have issues. You have no issue bragging about speed, might as well brag about the body counts as well.

Pappy you seem like a good guy and all, but my goodness. There are bad drivers in EVERY state. I've seen things like the examples you've posted everywhere I've driven. I've been stopped on the interstate in multiple states because some idiot was driving too fast and/or intoxicated....not just in KY.

I don't care what state you're in.....when you have an event like H2H in a rural area and dump an extra few thousand peeps into the mix you are going to see some bad driving and people just being plain idiots.

I personally think it's pretty shortsighted of you to judge an ENTIRE state on your experiences over the coarse of a few days. At first I thought you were mostly joking and ribbing Kentuckians, but now not so much. How about starting a thread about what a great event H2H was?

Oh, and the road ends in water signs around here (Lake Cumberland) are for out of towners....all the locals know what roads end in water.

Pappy
08-25-2009, 07:39 AM
Yeah ive seen them in other states as well, just not so many examples in the span of 24 hours especially in a rural area.

If you cant seperate the seriousness from the ribbing then you need to read the thread a bit slower and put things in context.

As far as H2H...I did not see anyone hauling atvs or utvs driving badly. I also had 2 1/2 hours to chat with the locals while stuck in traffic due to the wreck....I did not rush to judgement:p I just call it like I see it, no different then other folks who see things when traveling. Maybe my point hits close to home, if it does, maybe someone will slow down, the life you save could be your own!

We always get warned about driving slowly in areas where events are so as to not upset the community, I could have done burnouts and drove like a nut here and fit right in. I had no issue saying this to LEO's at the event or to every day people there so I wont coddle anyone here. The driving in that region was poor no matter how you slice it and it did not appear to be related to the event or ramped up by the event.

I dont make excuses when people complain about my state, probably because I let logic dictate reasoning over emotion....and they are usually correct in what they convey!:p

CNC_guy
08-25-2009, 08:08 AM
I'm not asking to be coddled and my reading comprehension is just fine. Like I said, I think you were being shortsighted in the statement you made that I quoted in my previous post and in a few of the other comments about the entire state. Heck, if you'll notice in my first post in this thread that I was cutting on Northern Kentuckians.....I can cut on KY with the best of 'em if need be. And hey, maybe they can't drive in the region you were in, but that doesn't mean the whole state can't drive.

What you've posted doesn't hit close to home or convict me in any way. I'm 35 and I've never been involved in a serious accident (knock on wood) and neither has anyone close to me. My only accident was a fender bender with a pizza guy that was not paying attention.

I guess what gets under my skin is the very people that love to cut on KY and our people are the very ones that are on the lake first in the summer and the last off the lake in the fall......the ones that love our trails and riding areas but "can't stand the hillbillies".

I'm not saying this applies to you and I hate that you had a bad experience in our state. Come on down to Lake Cumberland sometime and maybe I can make it up to you. That's a serious invite, btw.

Here (http://kyoutdoors.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2334) is a good thread about the area where I ride.

Pappy
08-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by CNC_guy

I guess what gets under my skin is the very people that love to cut on KY and our people are the very ones that are on the lake first in the summer and off the lake last in the fall....the ones that love our trails and riding areas but "can't stand the hillbillies".

Well, nothing I have posted goes against the southern lifestyle or belittles the folks who live there, it relates directly to the driving I witnessed. I could have gone alot further with more of a discussion about no helmets on riders and other things I saw, but each community has to deal with those issues even though they affect everyone who rides atv's.The idots around here ride with no helmets as well....

I do know I was told that KY leads or did lead the country in teenage related driving deaths so I can assume the issue is alot bigger then my opinion. If I am in an area for less then 2 days and can form an opinion, then I would say there is something worth discussing....and this is not just in KY. I dreaded running into the northeast this season to cover races.....and I can tell you that I found better driving around NYC and on Cape Cod then I found in one corner of KY....that was a shock to me LOL!

And you never saw me state that I had an issue with anyone, the people are mighty friendly and I had no issues fitting in. The area is alot like WV in many respects. They just dont drive well:p I state this so that people understand where I am coming from, and that I am not out to rag on KY in and of itself. Ofcourse when you have people from KY bragging on speed (they qoute me so I can take that as they knew exactly what they were replying to) one can figure that the areas drivers have no issue with how they drive as they made it a point to post that following traffic laws doesnt register in their brains.

I was invited back down to cover another event and the first thing I asked was if it was located away from that area because honestly, it was that bad. The corridor from Pikesville to Hazard was one of the worst I have ever had the displeasure to drive, and I drove metro Washington/Baltimore for more then 20 years. I cant wait to get back down to KY for some upcoming things, but sure hope the area I have to go into has alot better drivers!

I know in NC, its the soccer moms in suv's with nascar stickers doing 90, wizzing in and out of traffic

In PA, its drivers that make a right turn without using the turn off or shoulder and a last minute flash of the brakes and turn signal

In NYC, its just insanity, same with DC. The joke for years was traffic flow was designed to cause gridlock to slow folks down:p

I-95-drag strip of the east coast...if your not running 90 you will get run over

MD-1/4 inch of snow and people loose their minds

WV-drunk driving heaven. I can find a drunk on almost any road at any time...its scary as hell and pityful

I am sure that I can find other issues in many states that I have driven in since 1986. KY is getting picked on because it was the worst i've seen in 20 years of driving. Im an equal oppertunity prick, no one is spared:devil:

extremeblastr
08-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
a lot of us can drive in the snow lol.

ever take a volkswagen cabrio through a dirt parking lot that happened to be covered in 12 inches of snow without getting stuck once? thats knowing how to drive in the snow. or just plain old knowing how to drive lol i slapped down a lap time at the local circle track in one the little 4cylinder beater class cars that was on par with half their late model field:devil:

CNC_guy
08-25-2009, 09:06 AM
As I said, I wasn't saying what you quoted from my post applied to you. I'm just giving you some background as to why I can get a little defensive about my state.

In all reality though, I shouldn't even be commenting because I have never driven the area from Hazard to Pikeville. I just kept seeing KY so I commented. I do know that my father in law complains about that stretch as being the worst in KY though and he covers the entire state for his work.

I haven't heard stats on teen fatalities in KY but it wouldn't surprise me if they're high. I would not be opposed to more time in the permit phase of getting a license. [/old guy take]

Pappy
08-25-2009, 09:20 AM
No old guy needed (cuz im one lol)

My kid just got his license and he wont be allowed to do much driving until I feel he is ready no matter what the state says.

In all reality though, I shouldn't even be commenting because I have never driven the area from Hazard to Pikeville. I just kept seeing KY so I commented. I do know that my father in law complains about that stretch as being the worst in KY though and he covers the entire state for his work.

Glad to see my observations match what others see.

We had taken an "off the path" road to see if we could get some pictures of the area for coverage. We were literally almost lost way back in the mountains. The road was narrow as hell and steep drop offs on both sides. For an hour or so we never saw another vehicle. I reckon work let out because in the span of 20 miles, we started having cars heading our way. I watched as them guys ran each other off the road when they met, so I didnt take it personal when it was my turn haha. We ended up in Pikesville around 7 pm, and thats when the real fun began. I almost mounted the GoPro helmet cam to my dash just to record some it. We started joking that the Dukes of Hazzard werent anything special, they just happened to get caught on film!

I read the thread you posted, and again, the area looks like heaven for offroad. The people in the area were great, and I had to be careful of who I took pics of. I got the evil eye a few times from boyfriends etc but all in all a good time. I had one guy ask me why I was taking pictures, to make fun of them? I explained that i was there to capture the event and the people attending. I've been down there enough to know how many think, and respect it. Im excited as all get out to be heading down for an Elk tour and to cover the next ride for them folks. The lakes we saw looked killer as well. We hit alot of parks in our travels and they looked clean and well managed, wouldnt mind spending some time on them for sure!

fastredrider44
08-25-2009, 11:05 AM
how they drive as they made it a point to post that following traffic laws doesnt register in their brains.

A joke. Ever hear of them? :confused:

Pappy
08-25-2009, 11:43 AM
A joke. Ever hear of them? :confused:

Yep, and when they are timely they can be funny. Posting after I had posted about one of your pedestrians being killed was untimely and therefore not funny

fastredrider44
08-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Yep, and when they are timely they can be funny. Posting after I had posted about one of your pedestrians being killed was untimely and therefore not funny

But it was a response to a quote before a boy got run over. So I'm sorry I didn't get on here this weekend to defend someone calling all Kentucky drivers bad when I'm pretty sure you have never seen me drive.

Pappy
08-25-2009, 12:04 PM
I just call it like I see it:p My observations arent based on you unless you happen to have been one of the myriad of bad drivers I witnessed.

extremeblastr
08-25-2009, 12:19 PM
i'm incredibly amused by the people who took this personally:p

fastredrider44
08-25-2009, 03:45 PM
i'm incredibly amused by the people who took this personally:p

Ummm, aren't you the one that is telling everyone that unless they come from up north, they don't know anything about driving in the snow? You're no better. You've never seen me drive in the snow. :rolleyes:

fastredrider44
08-25-2009, 03:46 PM
I just call it like I see it:p My observations arent based on you unless you happen to have been one of the myriad of bad drivers I witnessed.

Nope, wasn't me.

C. Lindsey #18
08-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Ive been to countless states this season, and by far, you all seem to be the worst drivers i've seen so far in 2009!

Nice 6 car pile up due to excessive speed and wet roads.....it was a pleasurable 2 1/2 hour sit on your highway!

:blah:
Most Kentuckians Like My Self Usually Go By The Quote "Hold My Beer And Watch This *****" hahaha welcome to KY!

extremeblastr
08-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Ummm, aren't you the one that is telling everyone that unless they come from up north, they don't know anything about driving in the snow? You're no better. You've never seen me drive in the snow. :rolleyes:

and yet mine was a just quick response to someone who did attack northerners. your post here is just another one proving my point. none of this was aimed at you so how about you just suck it up and deal with it like the man. btw if you want to come up here for the first big storm i'd be happy to show you how to drive in real snow rather than that little dusting your area thinks qualifies.

extremeblastr
08-25-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by C. Lindsey #18
Most Kentuckians Like My Self Usually Go By The Quote "Hold My Beer And Watch This *****" hahaha welcome to KY!

that was the point he was trying to make.....way to make yourself look like a dumbass

fastredrider44
08-25-2009, 04:21 PM
and yet mine was a just quick response to someone who did attack northerners. your post here is just another one proving my point. none of this was aimed at you so how about you just suck it up and deal with it like the man. btw if you want to come up here for the first big storm i'd be happy to show you how to drive in real snow rather than that little dusting your area thinks qualifies.

First off, I'm not claiming to be a snow expert, as we rarely see more than 6 inches. But I'm not out to prove to you my driving capabilities.

Second, the title of this thread is Congrats Kentucky Drivers. That's me. Whether you like it or not.

Quad18star
08-25-2009, 04:37 PM
I'll give anyone a lesson on how to drive in snow ... come on up. I'm gunna open up " The Ultimate Snow Driving Experience" taught exclusively by Me and Me only. You supply the vehicle ( or choose one of ours .. at an extra cost) and I'll supply the skills needed to overcome the snow.

Lessons to be taught:

1. Proper braking technique for snow packed and icy intersections so that you don't look like a fool sliding through the intersection.

2. Proper acceleration so that you don't look like a fool with the front or back end of your vehicle in a snowbank while leaving an intersection.

3. Proper speed adjustment , so that you don't look like a fool stuck in a ditch.

4. How to drive in slushy conditions , so that you're not the fool upside down in the the ditch.

5. How to judge weather conditions ( ie , know when to stay home and not look like a fool stuck on the side of the road because of freezing rain).

6. How to negotiate turns and corners while staying in your lane and not being the fool sideways sliding around the corner with oncomming traffic.

7.And lastly ..... I'll teach you how to do Figure 8s in a parking lot with either a rear wheel drive vehicle or front wheel drive and look like a fool.

If you pass all the above without looking like a fool ( except #7 ... you're allowed ) I'll personally give you a pat on the back and a high resolution Ink Jet printer copy of a certificate made in Microsoft Paint. :)

08-25-2009, 04:37 PM
driving war lol lets settle this on the track.

Pappy
08-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by C. Lindsey #18

And somehow I can accept that:p

fastredrider44...if this was a kung fu flick, you would be faking being hurt and whiping a drip of blood from your lip....trying to defend bad drivers...it no can defend..lol

fastredrider44
08-25-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm having fun. My feelings aren't hurt. Funny thing is how everyone on here knows how to do something better than someone else. extremeblastr has to be the best snow driver ever:huh

fastredrider44
08-25-2009, 04:58 PM
that was the point he was trying to make.....way to make yourself look like a dumbass

Hmmn. When I saw that posted, knew that wasn't going to be good. lol.

insaneracin2003
08-25-2009, 04:59 PM
being from the south....what the heck is snow???:cool:

Pappy
08-25-2009, 04:59 PM
I gave up driving in the snow when my truck cost almost as much as my first house. Anyone out in it that doesnt have to be in it...is a dumbass...any state....does that cover it:p Ill even include canada so greg can b!tch at me LMAO!

This thread could have easily been in RI, GA, FL...fact is it occurred in KY. Life is full of unpleasantrys, if you try to defend them all youll die a young man.

fastredrider44
08-25-2009, 05:24 PM
If defending Kentucky's bad drivers is the worst I do, then I'm getting off easy. Kentucky is known for much worse things than poor driving habits. Some of them I wouldn't bother to defend. But the only reason I am defending is because of how many other places I have driven and don't think that we are the worst. But hey, I'm pretty easy going. If someone rides with me and they says I'm a bad driver, I might have something to say. But until then, I guess Kentucky has earned Pappy's "all time worst driving award".

I guess we're all dumbasses around here cause when it snows, its time to come out. We've ridden to town on our fourwheelers on more than one occasion. Here in the south, if we get more than 2 inches, you can forget buying milk, bread, or eggs, and the town basically shuts down. :cool:

Pappy
08-25-2009, 05:27 PM
But until then, I guess Kentucky has earned Pappy's "all time worst driving award".

Which means absolutley d!ck:p

Quad18star
08-25-2009, 05:34 PM
I gave up driving in the snow when my truck cost almost as much as my first house. Anyone out in it that doesnt have to be in it...is a dumbass...any state....does that cover it:p Ill even include canada so greg can b!tch at me LMAO!

LOL .... I don't LIKE driving in it , but I HAVE to ... no other choice. When winter lasts 7 months out of the year ... you're not left with very many options. :ermm:

extremeblastr
08-25-2009, 05:39 PM
If defending Kentucky's bad drivers is the worst I do, then I'm getting off easy. Kentucky is known for much worse things than poor driving habits. Some of them I wouldn't bother to defend. But the only reason I am defending is because of how many other places I have driven and don't think that we are the worst. But hey, I'm pretty easy going. If someone rides with me and they says I'm a bad driver, I might have something to say. But until then, I guess Kentucky has earned Pappy's "all time worst driving award".

I guess we're all dumbasses around here cause when it snows, its time to come out. We've ridden to town on our fourwheelers on more than one occasion. Here in the south, if we get more than 2 inches, you can forget buying milk, bread, or eggs, and the town basically shuts down. :cool:

2-4 is when the grocery store rush happens here lol 6 inches traffic things 7-8 minimal cars on road 9+ only people who absolutely have to be somewhere.

and i am by no means the best snow driver there is but i'm pretty damn sure i can show a kentuckian a thing or two when it comes to the snow. truth be told the secrets to driving are simple, pay attention, be cautious but don't overdo it, and don't panic EVER up here panicing is the cause of 90% of our "real" accidents. people get sideways and instead of driving through it lock em up and end up sliding into something or swerve to miss somebody/something and hit somebody/something.

Pappy
08-25-2009, 05:53 PM
people get sideways and instead of driving through it lock em up and end up sliding into something or swerve to miss somebody/something and hit somebody/something.

Now your zeroing in on what I saw in KY:eek2: :devil:

Pappy
08-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
LOL .... I don't LIKE driving in it , but I HAVE to ... no other choice. When winter lasts 7 months out of the year ... you're not left with very many options. :ermm:

The problem with the mid atlantic region is that we dont get consistant snow fall from year to year so drivers dont get dialed in from the start with the needed skills. hell they have enough trouble driving in the rain!

Just the MENTION of snow will clear the shelves of bread , milk, and beer...and that is NO joke.

Quad18star
08-25-2009, 06:11 PM
The problem with the mid atlantic region is that we dont get consistant snow fall from year to year so drivers dont get dialed in from the start with the needed skills. hell they have enough trouble driving in the rain!

Just the MENTION of snow will clear the shelves of bread , milk, and beer...and that is NO joke.

Now that is funny.

You mention snow up here , and everyone is out tunning their snowblowers. and preparing the ice hickey rinks. :p

And I ain't chitting you when I say it lasts 7 months .... First snowfall usually comes in October , and by the time all the snow is melted , it's usually around May sometime.

We always have a few accidents on the first couple of snowfalls ... then the cops issue radio warnings reminding drivers to slow down for the conditions.

A couple of years ago , I was on my way to work in my dodge truck and comming around a big sweeping corner I hit some black ice. The *** end started sliding out on me and instincts wanted me to tap the brakes ( I would have been doing donuts down the road) , but I remembered what I was taught ..... left off the gas , throw it into neutral and don't over steer. I did that and regained control of the slide . People need to learn to be able to throw their car into neutral when stuff happens ... it kills the power to the wheels which makes it a whole lot easier to control. The rest of the ride into work was a lot slower pace since the rest of the way was all black ice . A few hills I didn't think I'd make it up .

extremeblastr
08-25-2009, 06:16 PM
A couple of years ago , I was on my way to work in my dodge truck and comming around a big sweeping corner I hit some black ice. The *** end started sliding out on me and instincts wanted me to tap the brakes ( I would have been doing donuts down the road) , but I remembered what I was taught ..... left off the gas , throw it into neutral and don't over steer. I did that and regained control of the slide . People need to learn to be able to throw their car into neutral when stuff happens ... it kills the power to the wheels which makes it a whole lot easier to control. The rest of the ride into work was a lot slower pace since the rest of the way was all black ice . A few hills I didn't think I'd make it up .

very important point with neutral there^ thats why i like my sticks, gotta love workin the clutch on your truck/car through the turns makes it almost as exciting as racing flattrack on the quad :devil:

Pappy
08-25-2009, 06:18 PM
We have been discussing a possible move to Alaska....but not sure how we would fare having so much winter in general. I have friends that have lived there and said more folks wreck with no snow then when its a blizzard:p

The driving I could handle...not sure about 3/4 of the year being covered in snow and then the long days and nights....maybe a sled dog team with an old man sticker for me

:eek2:

extremeblastr
08-25-2009, 06:23 PM
i've been eyeing maine lately:cool: don't have to give up the summer beach trips and racing or the cold weather fun while still gettin the hell away from the 2 casinos and the cities around here.

fastredrider44
08-25-2009, 06:28 PM

Crikey!:eek2:

Quad18star
08-25-2009, 06:28 PM
We have been discussing a possible move to Alaska....but not sure how we would fare having so much winter in general. I have friends that have lived there and said more folks wreck with no snow then when its a blizzard:p

The driving I could handle...not sure about 3/4 of the year being covered in snow and then the long days and nights....maybe a sled dog team with an old man sticker for me

:eek2:

What is there to concider? I'd be packing up and on the way out.

If you get dressed and prepapred for the conditions , it ain't all THAT bad.... you just have to learn to adapt. (Check back with me in 6 months and I'll probably have a different opinion when I'm shoveling 4 feet of snow) . But really , I've never been to Alaska , but I will visit one day. The pictures I've seen are amazing ... a nature lover's paradise for sure. And Ken , let me tell you, once you've tried snowmobiling , the quad scene may slowly ( or quickly) slip away. I much prefer sledding over ATV riding. :ermm:

Mel and I have been talking , and once she's done University next spring ... we may pack up and head west to Alberta. Being at the foothills of the Rockie Mountains would mean that I could be laying on a beach at 10am and be up snowmobiling or skiing in the mountains at 2pm.

fastredrider44
08-25-2009, 06:36 PM
but i'm pretty damn sure i can show a kentuckian a thing or two when it comes to the snow.

I know you're itchin at the chance, but I'm not coming up to CT just so some guy can show me how to drive in the snow. I might not get the chance to drive in it as often as yall northerners, but that doesn't mean I don't love the chance. (Now here is where Pappy gets a chance to say I'm a troublemaker) But I love to drift, get sideways, do doughnuts or whatever in my trucks, so I do not panic when I get a little crossed up the snow. :devil:

Pappy
08-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Alaska is probably a pipe dream for us...my wife and I both want solitude. There has been many times we have come close to selling everything and making our own way out west....but the kids need more then that so we havent. Both CJ and Ryan dont care, CJ wants a career in wildlife management and Ryan wants to be a Veternarian so we could live most anywhere.

As I have had the luxury to travel so much the past few years, we are always looking & PAYING ATTENTION to the areas we are in (maybe thats why I notice so much haha) but havent found an area we like.

Thought about TN, near Cades Cove but the Smokies just aint big enough, I bore easily. I would imagine near Yellowstone might work who knows. The cooler temps would suit me, but not sure I could handle being pent up for large mounts of time, I know this heat is getting to me and it wasnt even a hot year.

I had thought about buying a place in Alaska for summering and then a small place here for the winter. The end game will hopefully have me shooting wildlife for a living as I get older so alot of this has to do with that.

All I know is that they wont send me east of the Mississippi because they are afraid I wont come back....maybe out west is where I need to be. My luck the drivers there suck as well LOL

fastredrider44
08-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Driver's suck everywhere. I live in a college town and am very displeased with the influx of drivers we get during school, and they way they drive. And you said that you plan on shooting things for a living. That's funny cause when I first joined on here, your avatar msg was "I shoot things", and then I realized that all your job consists of is shooting things. lol

Pappy
08-25-2009, 07:51 PM
yeah, its the only legal way they will let me shoot people these days:p

i ran into a park ranger a few weeks back, he asked how i was doing and i said .."Great, just shot some ospreys up on the lake!"

his face was priceless, then he noticed the camera:p

Quad18star
08-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Ken ... what about somewhere like Upstate New York , or Northern Michigan? Been through both , and both offer scenery like no other . Rolling hills of Upstate NY ... or the nice scenery of upper Michigan. -20 in the winter ... 70 in the summer. You can't go wrong.

I'd never survive in the southern states where the temps reach 100 degrees without the humidity.... I'm accustomed to the mild/cool weather. When it's 65 degrees out , I'm in a t-shirt. LOL

Scro
08-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Ken ... what about somewhere like Upstate New York , or Northern Michigan? Been through both , and both offer scenery like no other . Rolling hills of Upstate NY ... or the nice scenery of upper Michigan. -20 in the winter ... 70 in the summer. You can't go wrong.

I'd never survive in the southern states where the temps reach 100 degrees without the humidity.... I'm accustomed to the mild/cool weather. When it's 65 degrees out , I'm in a t-shirt. LOL

Can't go wrong with -20??? There is nothing right about a negative number when it comes to temperature. I think my balls would shrivel up permanently if I were to go out in that kind of temp. I think the coldest I've experienced was 7 or 8 up in Wisconsin, and that was just a gust of wind that snuck in between the plane and the terminal:p

Pappy
08-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Upper NY state is beautiful, but I can see the future for many east coast states bleak as they turn more liberal and the taxes continue to rise.

Our plan was to sell here after 10 years, we have been here like 6 but with the tanked economy we figure atleast 5-7 more and the market should rebound. We should be able to sell here, pay off everything we owe and still have $200-$250 k to purchase another home...which we hope we will be able to pay in full. If we stay in WV, but move more to the interior, we can manage this quite easily and have 50+ acres to boot (shooting for 100+) That is enough ground for the boys to settle on as well. I actually love this state even with all its faults and crazyness:p

My dream home is a concrete bunker called an Earth Home. Combine its design with solar and under ground cooling and I should be pretty self reliant. Not going all green or anything, just looking towards the future and staving off increased cost to live as we get older. Besides, it makes a perfect home defense platform with a few tunnels lol! I grew up next to one of teh first of these to ever be built and LOVED it.

matt14c
08-25-2009, 10:21 PM
yeah, its the only legal way they will let me shoot people these days:p

i ran into a park ranger a few weeks back, he asked how i was doing and i said .."Great, just shot some ospreys up on the lake!"

his face was priceless, then he noticed the camera:p

Thats Hilarious I can only imagine!

Pappy
08-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by matt14c
Thats Hilarious I can only imagine!

Its not so funny when I am set up to shoot deer, and I am all camo'd up and a warden sneaks up on me and is on full alert thinking I am poaching deer or turkeys:p

Or a husband thinks I am parking to meet his wife.....long story and a scary one...he was PISSED!:p

CNC_guy
08-26-2009, 08:39 AM
and i am by no means the best snow driver there is but i'm pretty damn sure i can show a kentuckian a thing or two when it comes to the snow

:rolleyes:

400exrider707
08-26-2009, 08:50 AM
Upper NY state is beautiful, but I can see the future for many east coast states bleak as they turn more liberal and the taxes continue to rise.

Our plan was to sell here after 10 years, we have been here like 6 but with the tanked economy we figure atleast 5-7 more and the market should rebound. We should be able to sell here, pay off everything we owe and still have $200-$250 k to purchase another home...which we hope we will be able to pay in full. If we stay in WV, but move more to the interior, we can manage this quite easily and have 50+ acres to boot (shooting for 100+) That is enough ground for the boys to settle on as well. I actually love this state even with all its faults and crazyness:p

My dream home is a concrete bunker called an Earth Home. Combine its design with solar and under ground cooling and I should be pretty self reliant. Not going all green or anything, just looking towards the future and staving off increased cost to live as we get older. Besides, it makes a perfect home defense platform with a few tunnels lol! I grew up next to one of teh first of these to ever be built and LOVED it.

I travel upstate NY thruway quite often. There are a few things you would only notice if you travel outside of the state as well... for one, we have ridiculous amounts of tolls, more than any other state combined on our trip from here to Illinois and south the Oklahoma. I would commonly complain about these tolls to other people. However after doing our trip from here to OK, I noticed a few things. One, NY has the most rest stops, and obviously the tolls go to run those (for the most part). You dont realize how much you miss rest stops until you dont have them. Secondly, the road itself is very comfortable to drive on, always nicely paved and well kept (even when the snow flies).

Another creature comfort of usptate NY, is we can get beer almost any time of the day/night. I go out of state on road trips and we're worried we wont be there by 9pm to get beer! Most states seem to have a beer/liquor store, and some places like WI sell beer AND liquore right at Wal-Mart, but again, only til 9pm. Our liquor stores sell only liquore and close at 9pm as well, but we can get beer almost any hour of the night at 24 hr gas stations. There's nothing like driving for 24 hours on the road only to get to your destination and find out you cant have a cold one.... AHHHH!:scary:

Pappy
08-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Well I am not much of a drinker so the 24 hour beer wouldnt be a justifiable reason to relocate there:p

And the rest stops while nice, arent a needed requirement for me....well atleast not often enough to move for lol. Maybe when I am 65 and need to stop every 10 miles:blah:

400exrider707
08-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Well I am not much of a drinker so the 24 hour beer wouldnt be a justifiable reason to relocate there:p

And the rest stops while nice, arent a needed requirement for me....well atleast not often enough to move for lol. Maybe when I am 65 and need to stop every 10 miles:blah:

There were some parts down south where we had to stop to fill up, because if we didn't fill there, we would run out before the next stop because they were spaced so far apart.

Even if you dont necessarily need to use the rest stops, its nice to know they're there. They're not just bathrooms Pappy, they're filled with restaurants, ATMs, phones, parking, picnic tables, vendors, gas, diesel and other such things.