PDA

View Full Version : 450's

Dylan189
08-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Ok so im getting my new quad soon. I thought i was set on the ltr but now i change my mind daily from honda to suzuki. I heard that the ltr is really complex and maintance is long and hard. I want a simple bike but i also want a good one.

631kfx400
08-21-2009, 03:31 PM
my opinion is a kfx450.
and i no ppl are gonna bash me on this post but i dont care because they have small penises:blah:

Jigsaw
08-21-2009, 03:48 PM
I say the kfx too. Its not the fastest, but I have had 0 issues so far since I owned it. Its perfect for the trials IMO, but I dunno how you ride or what you ride.

Dylan189
08-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Yea i race mx.

Jigsaw
08-21-2009, 03:56 PM
From what I read on here, the yamaha might be the best for that? Idk though, its all personal preference

matt14c
08-21-2009, 04:01 PM
For mx I would think the KTM or Can Am would be best.

Dylan189
08-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Well im lookin for used and not really into ktms. I have a friend wit a can am and has load of probs with it. Im leaning towards honda just because its pretty simple and the ltr i hear is a pain.

XCRacer236
08-21-2009, 04:14 PM
YFZ!

/thread.

08-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by matt14c
For mx I would think the KTM or Can Am would be best. dont get a can am ive read up on them and i hear there are totally junk!!!!now i know a couple people that gots can am's are gonna bash me on this..........but isnt the kfx450r thwe same thing as the ltr450????i mean besides the plastics cuz kawi has bought the blue prints for nearly everyone of suzukis sport quads except for z250,but wouldnt that meen the maintenance on the kfx woud be as hard as the ltr???but im a big honda fan but my vote is going to the yfz

631kfx400
08-21-2009, 04:55 PM
the kfx is far different from the ltr

Dylan189
08-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Alright. Guy this really isnt helping me at all. Those quads are all out of the question. My post says "HONDA or SUZUKI". Not kawi or ktm.

motohanks
08-21-2009, 05:14 PM
are you looking at getting an already built quad or mostly stock? how much do you want to spend to get on the track?

TrapZ400
08-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by billet250ex
dont get a can am ive read up on them and i hear there are totally junk!!!!now i know a couple people that gots can am's are gonna bash me on this..........but isnt the kfx450r thwe same thing as the ltr450????i mean besides the plastics cuz kawi has bought the blue prints for nearly everyone of suzukis sport quads except for z250,but wouldnt that meen the maintenance on the kfx woud be as hard as the ltr???but im a big honda fan but my vote is going to the yfz
They are a lot different! lol You must be thinking of the kfx400 and z400.

Dylan189 are you going to buy a used stock 450r and built it yourself or are you going to buy one thats already built? I think you should stick with the honda. They are fairly simple and since you already have one it wouldnt take anytime for you to get comfortable on it.

JParisi48
08-21-2009, 05:21 PM
if i were to pick, i would get a used honda that is already set up for mx, the ltr's have tranny problems, the honda are more reliable and are easier to maintain, jmo

dehner47
08-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by 631kfx400
my opinion is a kfx450.
and i no ppl are gonna bash me on this post but i dont care because they have small penises:blah:

dude, that made me laugh:D

250x_kyle
08-21-2009, 06:09 PM
why not ride a few then decide? last time i checked changing the tranny fluid on the 450r is a swift kick to the dick if u have pro pegs.

08-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by TrapZ400
They are a lot different! lol You must be thinking of the kfx400 and z400.

i know the z400 and kfx400 are basicly the same except i believe the z400 has 37mm carb and the kfx gots a 38mm but i thought the kawi bought the blueprints from suzuki,for the 400 and 450??

muddy400EX
08-21-2009, 06:56 PM
i know the z400 and kfx400 are basicly the same except i believe the z400 has 37mm carb and the kfx gots a 38mm but i thought the kawi bought the blueprints from suzuki,for the 400 and 450??

no the 400s are the same, 450's are totally different

if your gettin stock quads, ltr is the way to go, its wider and already has mx tires;)

Dylan189
08-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Well i was kinda hoping to build myself so it can truly be MY quad. And i really think the honda is better because if i do most all my motor work and if the ltr is a real pain to get apart ill get real frustrated real easy. so im really leaning towards the honda.

csr250r
08-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Ride the honda yamaha and suzuki then buy what one fits you best.

08-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Dylan189
Well i was kinda hoping to build myself so it can truly be MY quad. And i really think the honda is better because if i do most all my motor work and if the ltr is a real pain to get apart ill get real frustrated real easy. so im really leaning towards the honda. the honda is a awsome bike but ltr jus looks sick

andrew450r
08-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
no the 400s are the same, 450's are totally different

if your gettin stock quads, ltr is the way to go, its wider and already has mx tires;)

x2

MX MaNiAc 06
08-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Well i was kinda hoping to build myself so it can truly be MY quad. And i really think the honda is better because if i do most all my motor work and if the ltr is a real pain to get apart ill get real frustrated real easy. so im really leaning towards the honda.

Coming from someone who owned an 06 Honda 450r for 3.5 years..

Suzuki would suit you best. It corners like a dream, made to fly through the air and very comfortable. Also has more power and the gearing is very good for motocross. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Honda and it was easy to wrench on. But the Suzuki would save you money in the long run and in stock form they are pretty good for MX. The suspension is plush and the width makes a huge difference when MXing in stock form. The Honda isn't very good for MX in stock form imo.

ProspectorJim
08-21-2009, 09:53 PM
dont get a can am ive read up on them and i hear there are totally junk!!!!now i know a couple people that gots can am's are gonna bash me on this..........but isnt the kfx450r thwe same thing as the ltr450????i mean besides the plastics cuz kawi has bought the blue prints for nearly everyone of suzukis sport quads except for z250,but wouldnt that meen the maintenance on the kfx woud be as hard as the ltr???but im a big honda fan but my vote is going to the yfz

I'm not going to bash you, but I will simply inform you that the vast majority of problems that you may have read about only occurred with the 08 model and a "lucky" few of the 09 models. The 09's and up are solid. The early rumors of frames breaking and stock a-arms bending are also false. I would stay away from the 08 Ds450's though. I made the mistake of not being patient.

250x_kyle
08-21-2009, 10:13 PM
i will be completely honsest with you. if i was to go back to last year and start all over again there would be an ltr in my garage. but ride them and as i and others said before pick the one you feel comfy on. there all going to feel weird after stepping off what your used to, but get the one you like best and go from there. one step at a time.

Dylan189
08-22-2009, 01:16 AM
Now what if I brought a yfzr into this discussion. I dont know much about them but i hear they have some problems. Is it true or are they really good quads?

destey
08-22-2009, 06:16 AM

Pretty sure the kfx/dvx/ltz 400 all came with the BSR36 mikuni constant velocity carb.

My understanding (for what its worth) is that the choke, electric start, and plastic colors were the only things that differed. Differing options were available for electric start on the different brands.

250x_kyle
08-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Now what if I brought a yfzr into this discussion. I dont know much about them but i hear they have some problems. Is it true or are they really good quads?

they handle like a dream but it you ride it its going to break. my buddy got one about a month after they came out . hes been through two sub frames, a broken axle, his rear wheels are bent. and when his axle broke his chain got bount up and cracked a case.

usp4u
08-22-2009, 09:08 AM
The Kawi/'Zuki partnership ended like 3 years ago guys. Some mini quads/bikes are really all thats left of that. The partnership on the bigger bikes/quads had Suzuki biulding power plants with Kawi supplying chassis, such as the 04-05 250f. The 450's have ALWAYS been two different machines. The 450 quads are and always have been to COMPLETLY different machines. Hence the LTR coming out 2 years before the KFX.
There was never any "buying blueprints". :rolleyes:

To the OP: Get an 06-07 LTR, you can still build it into "Your" machine, but it's already outfitted well enough that you can ride as you build. The others will require a "frantic" build-up to be comfortable/competive with the LTR.

08-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Now what if I brought a yfzr into this discussion. I dont know much about them but i hear they have some problems. Is it true or are they really good quads? there solid quads and i really havnt heard anythin bout the honda's either and the suzuki i heard they had tranny problems but yes i do agree with prospector jims post most 09' ds450's are pretty soldid but the 08's had tons of problems i hear but i was watching a gncc race on the internet and they were sayin that the can am was havin tons of problems that day and everytime the guy on the can am really whacked on it a crap load of smoke would jus pour outta the back

08-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by usp4u
The Kawi/'Zuki partnership ended like 3 years ago guys. Some mini quads/bikes are really all thats left of that. The partnership on the bigger bikes/quads had Suzuki biulding power plants with Kawi supplying chassis, such as the 04-05 250f. The 450's have ALWAYS been two different machines. The 450 quads are and always have been to COMPLETLY different machines. Hence the LTR coming out 2 years before the KFX.
There was never any "buying blueprints". :rolleyes:

To the OP: Get an 06-07 LTR, you can still build it into "Your" machine, but it's already outfitted well enough that you can ride as you build. The others will require a "frantic" build-up to be comfortable/competive with the LTR. yaa cuz kawi quit makin the 400s i believe and arcicat quit makin the 400s also i believe,but i jus look this up in an 06' atvsport buyers guide,it says the dvx400 has 37mmcarb ,kfx has a 37mm carb and ltz has a36mm carb but back to the original topic u could prob pick up a yfz pretty cheap on craigslist

m0t0xk1d
08-22-2009, 09:47 AM
you can probably pick a yfz cheap but probably not a yfzr cuase there first year and people will still probably sell the for a high price. but i have rode a yfz and a ltr. the yfz had a full gytr pipe and that was it.the ltr just had a cherry bomb and baffle out and wow that ltr was amazing. handled perfect. and that thing had some ballsit flat out ripped. the yfz was good but didnt really compare to the ltr. get the ltr

250x_kyle
08-22-2009, 10:15 AM
yaa cuz kawi quit makin the 400s i believe and arcicat quit makin the 400s also i believe,but i jus look this up in an 06' atvsport buyers guide,it says the dvx400 has 37mmcarb ,kfx has a 37mm carb and ltz has a36mm carb but back to the original topic u could prob pick up a yfz pretty cheap on craigslist

its not a matter of what you think and beleive it the matter of whats actually fact. learn your facts before you post.

Dylan189
08-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Ive been reading on ******** and stuff and it seems like with every year there is some bad problems. And i want a reliable quad that i could use money to put parts on not to have to fix it all the time.

Dylan189
08-22-2009, 11:08 AM
HAHAHA they blocked out ltr 450 hq if u put it as one word.

ALAMX37
08-22-2009, 11:08 AM
99% of the people on here are gonna tell you what they ride is the best. Very few have experience on a variety of machines. It really comes down to what you feel comfortable on, everyone is different and what works best for me will probably not work best for you. However of all the machines I have owned, I have never had a Honda treat me bad. Never had a DNF on Honda, and the maintenance on all the bikes is fairly similar. Try and ride the different machines and see what suites you the best.

extremeblastr
08-22-2009, 12:05 PM
best handling 450 i've ridden so far is the kawi but you have to put a good build on it to get any power and then you start to run into problems, honda handles decent and feels like its got the most power also seems to hold up to motor mods well, suzuki has decent power and handling no real issues other then the tranny, yfzr is veryyyy comfy and easy to ride stock but motor lacks in the power department when modding. ever though about the polaris? if you take your time and choose the parts carefully during the build they are very powerful decent handling bikes. reliability is no issue motorwise on the 09 unless your doing something wrong. i've ridden em all and recently sold a well built kawi so i could build something new for next year and it looks like i'm gonna try out the polaris.