PDA

View Full Version : methyl hydrate

monkeyballs
08-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Ok, turns out I cant get ethanol around here. The only gas that we have is 15% ethanol. So! I found some what of an alternative. From what I understand, drag racers use methyl hydrate wich is verry close to alcohol. I talked to a local drager and he told me that it burns unbelievably fast... He said that it runs so cold that you cant run it for long periods of time since there is condensation in the valve train..

Any who, I was wondering if any of you knew if its possible to mix this with gas... So that the hole in my pocket dont get too big and then I could also run it for longer periods of time.

Well thanks take r ez

drew416ex
08-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Yes, you can mix it, but you still have to do a serious rejet to do it. And it will still have bad condensation problems in the gas tank. What do you have done that you need to run alcohol.

monkeyballs
08-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Its not what I have done, its what I would like done :D

I was just looking around hoping that I could finde a place with ethanol. But I cant finde any one that sells ethanol. So this is the closest thing I can get.

Here is my build,

416 11:1 wiseco piston
450r carb
full system yosh pipe
k&n air filter w/ no air box lid
stg 1 hot cam
miled port and polish

crf450r timing chain
tusk clutch
hinson clutch baskt

Id like to get an xr400 head gasket (thiner)
also an ATK 6deg

So right now whats stoping me is overheating and pinging. And I would like to stretch out the methyl hydrate to the max. With out over heating and pinging... But what im realy wondering is how much gas it will use... What do you think?

If I mix it how compairable would it be to Ethanol? Then your saying condensation problems in the gas tank. I was told that there will be condensation in the valve train since the cylinder is hot and the gas is cold and sine it uses so much it comes in so fast that it does not heat up befor it... This also true?

Thanks

katch26
08-21-2009, 03:53 PM
isnt that why that one guy is making 4degree keys vs the 6?

monkeyballs
08-21-2009, 06:24 PM
From what I understand its still 2 hot. And then using that type of fuel, that will lower my temp, aka life :D, simply more power, and it will gaurantee me that it wont ping.

drew416ex
08-21-2009, 06:48 PM
No one around there has race fuel?

monkeyballs
08-21-2009, 06:56 PM
I know of one person that does. And that stuff is just as much money as the methyl. And + it wont make the bike run cooler.

Canada sucks! lol

mcgrath
08-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Canada sucks? I dont know where you live but every UPI, co-op gas bar around sells ethanol. You cant get away from it if you try.
Ontario has all the ethanol you can stand. If you want to get away from pinging and overheating why dont you up the octane and put a spal fan on. It would be alot easier. Maybe you are running way lean that makes your machine ping and overheat.

monkeyballs
08-21-2009, 07:44 PM
I live in the boonies man. Northern ontario. NOT TORONTO!

And trust me I went around to multiple co-op's a they dont have ethanol. I asked them if I could special order it and nop.. Only thing they have is 15% eth.. 87octane Then I have an extra oil cooler on the way...

mcgrath
08-21-2009, 07:55 PM
yeah right on, I live 30 min north of london. Used to do alot of snowmobiling up north but now I have kids and not so much time. We have a few ethanol plants down here, its everywhere.

monkeyballs
08-21-2009, 08:01 PM
I guess north and south has its ups and downs.. I currently have an articat thundercat 1000 :D Sleding is the Sh** up here. Quading is also pretty fun, just alot of mud.. :( Lets go sledin some time? Seriously, let me know if your ever around.

And im taking a trip down to toronto this week to go with my family to the X... You think I would have much of a problem finding some ethanol whil im down there. Ill buy some in bulk.

Just for kicks whats your sled? Take it ez

Wheelie
08-21-2009, 09:15 PM
If this is a drag bike then Methyl will work fine, otherwise I would not recommend Methyl.

It's much more corrosive than both gasoline and Ethanol and much more picky when tuning.

Any alcohol fuel draws water, so storage becomes critical.

I would stick with Ethanol or Race gas for high octane, performance needs. Methanol will require a FCR carb and won't be nearly as user friendly.

My 02.