PDA

View Full Version : looking for a old thread on carb syncronization

tri5ron
08-20-2009, 10:33 PM
a few weeks ago, there was a member who mentiond syncronizing the slide and throttle plate on a 450r carb mod.

he had posted a page from the Honda service manual supporting his comments reguarding the need to do this after adjusting the needle/clip position.

does anyone remember the thread, or who it was that made the post?

I'd like to re-read it, and possibly PM the poster.
Thanks,
Ron

Pipeless416
08-20-2009, 10:56 PM
here ya go Ron, i think this is what you're looking for.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=404062&highlight=450r+carb

edit: just realized that is definitely not what you wanted haha. the search continues! :)

tri5ron
08-21-2009, 12:14 AM
Ha-ha, thanks Mike,
yeah, thats not the one.
I've been searching for about an hour and a half, and cant find it either.

the guy who posted it, did so in a thread about 2 or 3 weeks ago.
He even took a little flack from some other members for suggesting it, then he came back with a "here ya go Boys" comment or something like that.
he posted a pic of the manual, showing the recommended gap, and adjustment of the linkage slot, etc.

I've got the Honda manual, and I'm not looking for someone to re-post the pic.
I just want to re-read the thread, due to it got me to thinking about a possible tuning issue I'm having with the 450r carb.

Seems I'm the only guy around who's done the mod by the book, yet cant seem to get the damn thing down to a slow idle.
I've done all the jetting, clip positions, A/F screw adjustments, etc.
May need to pull the carb and do it over, but I just know it's got to be right there in my face, and I'm not seeing what is causing it.

sort of a "can't see the forest for the trees" syndrome. LOL!

I'm trying to get ready to go on a ride, with a local member here, and I want it all dialed in for my first time out with him and his buddies, as well as it will be the first time out on the new rear "shoes".

anyway, I'll keep searching, hopefully it'll pop up somewhere....

Pipeless416
08-21-2009, 12:18 AM
still here haha.. my search is starting to get angry with me.. :eek2: :blah: i think i have read through like 15 450r carb threads so far lol

tri5ron
08-21-2009, 12:37 AM
Heck, I've tried every thing I can think of as search words and phrases.
I even tried the "here ya go boys" comment.
syncronization / slide / butterfly / slot / linkage / arm / set screw / needle / clip / 'yo mama / it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Superman /

heck, I just can't find it anywhere :confused: :(

do ya think me pouting will help ???

Honda#4
08-21-2009, 07:37 AM
I think I posted in the one that Ron is refering to. I just looked at the first 10 pages but I had thought that the kid was doing a rebuild on his machine. IDK

*EDIT* Is this the one Ron?
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=399111&perpage=13&highlight=Honda4&pagenumber=2

tri5ron
08-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Yea !!!
Honda#4 saves the day... that's the one I was looking for.
thanks

Honda#4
08-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Funny thing is all I had to do was search my name. LOL!:D

MtnEX
08-21-2009, 11:26 PM
That was me... and to stop any confusion early... that was for the 400EX carb and that manual page was from the 400EX manual.

So you may need other specs from a 450R manual... but you can also kind of see it with the carb off... working the throttle arm.

You can see the slide and butterfly timing... but first you want to be looking from the filter side and watching the pump spray... making sure it goes on through... and you can then carefully look at the slide/butterfly timing... just don't get shot in the eye with gas...

But, I will tell you... I do not see what this would have to do with idle speed... unless with the 450R carb it is possible to be far enough off to have the slide slightly raised at idle....

I would instead point you toward searching for air leaks...

tri5ron
08-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
That was me... and to stop any confusion early... that was for the 400EX carb and that manual page was from the 400EX manual.

So you may need other specs from a 450R manual... but you can also kind of see it with the carb off... working the throttle arm.

You can see the slide and butterfly timing... but first you want to be looking from the filter side and watching the pump spray... making sure it goes on through... and you can then carefully look at the slide/butterfly timing... just don't get shot in the eye with gas...

But, I will tell you... I do not see what this would have to do with idle speed... unless with the 450R carb it is possible to be far enough off to have the slide slightly raised at idle....

I would instead point you toward searching for air leaks... Hi MtnEX,
yeah, I realized that it was from the 400ex manual, (I've got one too), but the 450r carb is very similar, has the same linkages, and will probably tune the same way.

I plan on posting a question on the 450r forums, and ask someone what the clearance specs say in a factory manual for the 450r carb, ('04-'05).

and I already verified no air leaks, with some ether around the boots, while engine is running.