PDA

View Full Version : no electric

gimphand
08-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Just replaced battery and the quad fired up fine. Let it sit for 3 weeks and then I turned on the key and got the neutral light, pressed start and the relay clicked one time and the neutral light went out and stayed out and no start. Sometimes the light will come on but everytime I press start the starter relay clicks once and then the neutral light goes out and stays out. It will come back on when it wants to. no pattern. I touched the battery positive to the terminal on the starter and didnt get anything. Is the starter bad? any other thoughts

mcgrath
08-20-2009, 05:32 PM
did you check your battery? Sounds dead, did you leave the key on? maybe something is draining your battery when it is sitting. Possibly a bare wire grounding out. Id try charging the battery before I do anything else. At least it would rule it out if nothing else.

gimphand
08-20-2009, 07:01 PM
I charged the battery overnight and took it to autozone and its voltage was 12.8

wvspeedfreak
08-20-2009, 07:05 PM
If your battery is fully charged and it is still doing that,you more than likely have a loose/bad connection.Check your ground cable.

gimphand
08-23-2009, 06:31 PM
I went throught the manual and checked all switchs, starter relay, battery, rectifier, ground is good. Everything checked out fine. I have not removed or checked the starter yet. Could the starter short out my quad so no electric works. ANy thoughts. Why would I have no power at all. I dont see any shorts in cables. Could a bad starter cause all of this?

djcluejs
08-23-2009, 07:11 PM
do you have head lights? or anyother lights? if not then you prob blew a fuse i will show you were about it is on the quad.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/showschematic/m2659sch107950

its rite below the battery its an 15 amp one but i put a 30 on mine and theres a slot for a spare.

gimphand
08-24-2009, 01:09 PM
I have not lights, no start, no nothing electric, I tried to bump it and the lights turned on when I popped the clutch for a few seconds but I didnt have enough room to start it. (if that helps anything) There are two fuses in there, they both look fine... Maybe the housing that holds the fuse is bad? Im really puzzled here.

mcgrath
08-24-2009, 05:15 PM
try unhooking the positive from the starter and see if that changes anything. If it has anything to do with the starter you should be able to tell that way.

gimphand
08-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Sanded the ground connection down and that did it. The ground was working 3 weeks ago. Sat for 3 weeks and then it must have got corroded..