PDA

View Full Version : Lighting experts come in!

CorvetteZ06
08-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Heys guys, lookin to put some lights, or a light on my 250R. I have the stock handlebar switch, a new oem wire harness, and all the necessary provisions on the harness to run lights. I called trail tech, but they said they dont have anything that will work on the 250R cause its a AC system, and the lights would blow out. Is this true for both the HID lights and the halogen lights? Ricky stator has light kits that are made for the 250R, so I might go with those. How is everyone else running trail techs? Is the only way to run them by converting the stock sytem to DC?

CorvetteZ06
08-20-2009, 01:18 PM
ok, got through to a trail tech rep, the halogen lights can run off of ac or dc power, the HID can only run off of dc power.

86 Quad R
08-20-2009, 01:23 PM
if you can get an aftermarket rectifier you shouldnt have a problem with the HID's

CorvetteZ06
08-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
if you can get an aftermarket rectifier you shouldnt have a problem with the HID's

yes, but I will still need to mount a battery on my R, right?

86 Quad R
08-20-2009, 01:30 PM
i'm no expert man but to my thinking, as long as you dont exceed the wattage of your stator and you have a rectifier thats rated for the system i dont see why it wont work. again i'm no expert.

edit: i just talked to a guy and he said as long as the rectifier is rated to the max system wattage output(100w) and say you are using a 50w light(half the systems capability) it should work. meaning, you wouldnt want to use a rectifier thats max load capibility is 50w and run it on a 50w draw. that make sense? maybe someone more fluent in this area can chime in. :cool:

deathman53
08-20-2009, 02:09 PM
you have to convert it to dc, put a regulator and battery in and correct the wiring so the frame isn't grounding the lights. Stock is 100w, converted to dc will be ~70, you can power a real bright light with that.

86 Quad R
08-20-2009, 02:14 PM
im curious now.... explain something to me. the system already has a regulator on it, if the stator is putting out a 100w ac and you simply hook up a rectifier to convert it to a regulated dc voltage. couldnt you just simply run a dc component as long as it doesnt exceed the amps/wattage of the stator/rectifier?

deathman53
08-20-2009, 02:37 PM
well, its called a regulator/rectifiier. It converts it to dc and regulates the voltage. You can do what you want, but you will lose a good deal of power, now you will have 2 places for power to be lost. With a combo unit, its common for use on dual sport dirtbike kits, there is a minimal loss. Either way, you will have to change your wiring, add a battery in the airbox and new wires to/from the battery for the reg/rec and lights. Most likely your harness can't be used for the lighting. A different light switch might be needed also. I have 3 dirtbikes converted, 2 were a/c only and I've been through this, it won't be any different for your 250r. They supply a new harness for all the lights and wiring to/from battery to lights/rec. You plug the new harness into the source of the a/c power. One side of reg/rec, the a/c power wire and its grounded to the frame. The other side goes to the battery and from there it goes to the new lights.

CorvetteZ06
08-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanx for the responses guys, ended up going with two 35w halogen lights, one spot and one flood, should be better than stock anyways. Thanx!!

86 Quad R
08-20-2009, 02:53 PM
good deal corvette :cool:

and deathman i appreciate the explanation. i understand what your saying. it helped alot. :)

bananas
04-08-2010, 05:45 PM
What is the output 12 volts ac? I know the watts comes from the size of the stator but I can convert it, I just need to
know the voltage. I have seen a few ways to do it but rectifiers are cheap. The light companies are charging way to much to convert it. I know I could check the voltage with my meter but it's easier to ask.

250Renvy
04-08-2010, 06:15 PM
What's your budget for this?

Are you looking for something you can hide?

Reason I ask, is why not go with a stock setup? 300ex setup or something like LSR's LED light bar?

bananas
04-09-2010, 05:33 AM
I stock and sell power supplies and batteries so it's much cheaper for me to do it... I want to run a battery for 2 reasons.

One lights work all the time..
Two Helmet light for the dunes.
This way I plug in and I don't have to carry the battery and the stator will charge the battery too....

bansheeboyo
04-09-2010, 05:36 AM
i see there is a few companys that offer light kits for cr250's
will they work on the esr 250kit for the r ?
and when you say running a battery can you charge the battery of the motor???
cheers scott