PDA

View Full Version : Billet Flange VS Stock Flange.

Saul76
08-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Who all runs the Billet Flange with 2 o-rings?

Do they really seal much better then the stockers?

I'm sick of seeing spooge on my 300R and all ready getting some on the TRX just doing heat cycles. UGH.

I might plop down for a Billet if they really seal that much better.

atvmxr
08-20-2009, 12:46 PM
the one i have works better than stock. plus dont forget to put some high temp RTV in there too..

CorvetteZ06
08-20-2009, 12:46 PM
I have billet flanges on 2 of my R's, they help but still not perfect. The best thing that has worked for me is putting some high temp silicone around the flange. All of my R's stay dry as a bone with the silicone.

86 Quad R
08-20-2009, 12:56 PM
i have both. the billet flange has better fitment than the stock but whats important is to seal either with hi-temp as mentioned and ofcourse use really strong springs. otherwise the exhaust will tear its ways off no matter how much hi-temp you use. another thing is to make sure that the pipe is firmly anchored.

a lil trick that i use is to roll a hi-temp o-ring up as far as it'll go prior to applying hi-temp and then placing the pipe header, allowing the o-ring to sit against the lip of the header pipe. that makes for 2 o-rings on stock flang and 3 for the billet. :cool:

Fear250r
08-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Where is everyone getting their hi temp o rings?

rsss396
08-20-2009, 02:52 PM
mcmaster-carr

racerx573
08-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Another trick I did with exhaust springs was to cross them like an "X", little trick I picked up from a few of the pros back in the R days. I also recommend stock pipe springs instead of those crappy aftermarket ones. Stockers always seemed a little tighter.

Saul76
08-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Good advice guys.

deathman53
08-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Fear250r
Where is everyone getting their hi temp o rings?

you can get them from jl atv for real cheap.

1promodfan
08-20-2009, 06:46 PM
I've got an ESR billet flange with no silicone and have NEVER had any leaks. Not saying that the silicone is not a good idea because it definatly is. That silicone will make a great seal.

Ruf Racing
08-21-2009, 07:51 AM
ESR flange, o-rings and use the high temp copper silicone. :D

Rich250RRacer
08-21-2009, 11:35 PM
I used Hi-temp silicone on my Tri-Z exhaust once, and only once. I put a small bead where the pipe flange ended and met the cylinder, let it dry over night and took it for a ride the next day. It ran fine for the first 10 minutes then it lost most of it's top end. I was scratching my head, trying to figure out what happened, when I noticed the silicone was gone. After some more pondering of the problem, I pulled the silencer off and replaced it with a spare I sitting around. The top end was back and it was running as good as ever. I guess I know where the silicone ended up. For this reason, I don't put silicone on any exhaust flanges or joints anymore.

leager-n-ky
08-22-2009, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by 1promodfan
I've got an ESR billet flange with no silicone and have NEVER had any leaks. Not saying that the silicone is not a good idea because it definatly is. That silicone will make a great seal.

X2 here.

thedeatons
08-24-2009, 10:15 AM
I bought a billet flange and Helix stainless steel exhaust springs for the quad in my sig. The spring holders on the flange pulled through, and a spring fell of because of that. One of the other stainless springs broke in half. This was in one dune weekend mind you...

Now I run the stock flange with RTV, and stock Honda springs.

James