PDA

View Full Version : push/pull thumb throttle?

tayyo789
08-20-2009, 12:10 AM
So im doing the finishing touches on my custom trx650r build (xr650r jammed in a 400ex) and i came across some issues with my edelbrock and ended up getting a mikuni tm40 to replace it. the edelbrock came with a push pull setup for the throttle cables, and so did the tm40. i love the idea of a push pull setup but i cant stand using a twist on a quad. the technical stuff just doesnt cooperate. so ive been looking around for a thumb throttle that can be used with a push pull setup but to no avail. i am entrigued by the terry cable dual gasser, but i do not know if it runs a push pull setup. it seems most people just say to run a single cable, but there are others who see things realistically and know why the push pull is necessary in these applications, in that the incoming air keeps the throttle open by overpowering the return spring above the slide, causing the throttle to stick at wfo. i really would appreciate any information you guys could offer me.

8my_Cash
08-20-2009, 02:02 PM
have you tried looking at the thumb throttle mechanism to try to fabricate a method to use push ull cables.

For example the whole push pull application can be used to be completely pull. Just notice how the cables operate and find a way to emulate the push pull action with just a pull action from the thumb throttle.

That would be my first step

tayyo789
08-20-2009, 06:11 PM
i was thinking today about how on a thumb throttle you cant return the throttle to the resting position like you do on a twist, so perhaps either a really strong return spring where the cables connect to either the carb or the throttle, or maybe putting a sort of return spring in the thumb throttle. or just putting some sort of mechanism on the back side of the thumb throttle, that could be utilized with my index finger in order to push the throttle back to resting. i experimented with an fcr off of a yfz450, and it seemed like it utilized a push pull system, but i didnt know whether or not it actually did.

deathman53
08-22-2009, 10:17 PM
you have the right idea, but the throttle gets really hard to use. The dirtbike carbs that are re-fitted to be used on atv's w/ thumbs tend to have much stronger return springs and to make it manageable to use, a pulley or mechanical leverage device is used, either in the carb or thumb throttle. I went twists for my atv's and won't ever look back. It was tough getting used to at first.

tayyo789
08-23-2009, 01:50 AM
ive been using a twist for a while, and im just having troubles getting used to it. every time i get back on my old 400ex i just feel so much more comfortable. plus i really prefer a thumb when sidehilling a big dune, or riding technical trails in the mountains.