PDA

View Full Version : question about my left case half

Hutchracer
08-19-2009, 11:20 PM
I was wondering if any of you can answer this for me. I am rebuilding my 86 250R and the left case half has been repaired but tha shift shaft has some play to it. I was going to try putting a new seal in, but I am wondering if I'm wasting my time and if it will just leak. Or is anyone selling a good condition left case half for a reasonable price?

CorvetteZ06
08-20-2009, 12:44 PM
is the shift shaft bent? That could cause a leak if its not seated against the seal.

Hutchracer
08-20-2009, 05:10 PM
No it's not bent but you can feel some side to side play in it not much but some none the less.

rooster300ex
08-20-2009, 05:19 PM
The shift shaft should not have any side to side play even if the seal is bad or whatever

Hutchracer
08-20-2009, 05:24 PM
I figured it should not move like that. I guess I was hoping that I could get bye with a new seal and not have to split the cases but it looks like its time to look for a left side case. Anyone have one for a reasonable price?

rigger
08-20-2009, 07:18 PM
On mine, my shift shaft was missing a small thrust washer. I put that on and no play. You do not have to split the case to slide out the shift shaft. It will come right out the right side and if it is missing something like mine was, you can put it on and slide it right back in.