PDA

View Full Version : School me on shipping a quad

usp4u
08-19-2009, 08:19 PM
As I hang out in the classifieds sections either looking to buy or sell I often how many people actually ship/receive quads.
-How does it work
-Who is the carrier?
-Cost?
-Insurance?
-Pick-up/Drop locations?
-Transfering Title?

Please give me the 411 on how this goes..Particularly, how the title transfer is handled.
Thanks.

BTW, I have a couple freinds who are notarys' if that helps in out-of-state Title transfers.

bonds0033
08-20-2009, 02:54 AM
It's really not to complicated, I've never shipped a quad but i've shipped several street bikes. First they won't accept anything except the actaul vehicle, that means no parts, no titles, no keys, no nothing. They will call the day before they come to get it and I think the company I used guarnteed from the day you call your vehicle will be at it's destination in 2 weeks. I've shipped from Ohio to New Mexico when the gas was real high and it was like $650 and I shipped from New Mexico to Pennslyvania and i think it was a shade under $600.

They will bring a tractor trailer either right to your house or somewhere near by and they fill out all the paperwork, ding sheets, confirmation of pick up and stuff like that. Then they roll it on the trailer, strap it down, and give you your key back. I think the company I used had insurance already included in the price. They were very professional and provided me with tracking so I knew where it was the whole time. Very easy transaction.

bonds0033
08-20-2009, 02:57 AM
O ya i forgot about the title, I cant remember exactly but I know mine was sent to me seperatly in the mail. I think he had it notarized but can't remember for sure.

smr
08-20-2009, 07:08 AM
it really depends on the pickup and drop off location. If you have a loading dock then you can use just about any frieght company and save big time $. You just build a crate, roll the quad in strap it down and nail it shut. I actually shipped one from cali to ky for just over $100.00.

The main thing is to have a dock that you can load it...you can always pick it up at a terminal.

If this isn't an option then I would use one of the company's listed in the back of the ama magazine.

usp4u
08-20-2009, 07:31 AM
dont have a dock, but I do have a fork lift.

smr
08-20-2009, 08:24 AM
have you got plenty of room for a truck and trailer?

if you do just start calling the frieght companies and ask them if they will come to your place.

Usually yellow frieght is the cheapest but raodway and old demian are good companys. It really depends on what area of the country you are going in.

m0t0xk1d
08-20-2009, 09:40 AM
i bought a quad in missouri and got it shipped to maine in may.it was $500 on a 5x5 pallet. there was an extra $250 charge becuase it had gas and oil in it so it was a biohazrd but htye pcked that charge up cuase it was there fualt. title wise all the lady did was rigth a bill of sale and get the bank to sign it then i brought it to my town hall. the shipping only took three days. it all helped that her husband was a ups manager. anyway we shipped ups frieght. its cheaper if they pick it up and drop it off at a business. money transer was i just went into the bank and had them contact the sellers bank and they did a wire ttransfer. its fairly easy you just need good communication with the seller.

Gray33
08-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Is this the same with a truck? I am thinking about buying a truck in cali and need it shiped to ohio. Sorry for hijackin your thread

smr
08-20-2009, 11:54 AM
your not gonna be able to put a truck on a skid or in a crate and ship it. Your best bet is to rent a car and drive out or fly out and drive the truck back.

97blaster200
08-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Gray33
Is this the same with a truck? I am thinking about buying a truck in cali and need it shiped to ohio. Sorry for hijackin your thread

i work for a moving company.....so you can get a company with a car carrier to pick it up. that may not be the best best unless its the last one he picks up before making a long haul. if youre the first one to get loaded on the trailer your going to be waiting at least 2 weeks. probably even longer in some cases. we can also ship them in the tractor trailers but i dont think a truck would fit but all you have to do is ask.