PDA

View Full Version : Noleen J6 Shock Conversions

jimmyjames1700
08-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Anybody considering buying aftermarket shocks or having their stock shocks rebuilt please give Clark Jones at Noleen J6 a call. This guy can do some amazing things with stock shocks.

Clark has an excellent reputation in the industry and has tuned race suspensions for top pro's like Doug Gust, and Joe Byrd. So after hearing this and checking out the KFX build that ATV Rider Mag did where they used Noleen rebuilds, I figured this would be the best way to get a suspension that works exactly how I wanted. Here is a link to that a video of that bike build.

http://atvondemand.com/index.php?page=videos&section=memberview&vid_id=100289

I can honestly say without hesitation that this is the best feeling suspension I've had on any of my quads. Way better that the GT Thunder rebuilds I had and the Elites that I just sold (to be fair, the Elka's weren't set up for me though).

I just took them out for about a 80 mile trail ride this weekend and there was a smile on my face the whole way. Bumps and ruts that I use to brace myself for were soaked up with ease. I could totally rip through rough sections without fear or just take it easy and not get beat up. I never felt one buck or kick out of the back or front. It railed corners without rolling, hooks up better, and brakes without diving. I just wish I had Clark rebuild these for me first before I wasted my money on the GT's and the Elka's.

Seriously, Noleen does some a great work. I think the best comment I can have for them is that they totally exceeded my expectations. I wouldn't ever consider anybody else to tune my suspension for me again. And if I ever decide to buy aftermarket, they will be Noleen J6's. But for what I do, these rebuilds are flawless.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1310/dsc00348ttc.jpg
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7148/dsc00349u.jpg
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9408/dsc00350v.jpg

08-19-2009, 11:02 AM
pics of em mounted?

KAWIRYDER
08-19-2009, 05:24 PM
How much did it cost to have them rebuilt?

jimmyjames1700
08-19-2009, 06:41 PM
I will get some pics with them mounted later this week when it's not raining. As far as how much I paid, $755 and they were turned around in less than 3 days!

woodsracer882
10-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Do they come with any type of linkage or do you use your stock linkage? IMO thats the weak link to a good suspension set-up is the factory linkage, making the rear sit up too high.

jimmyjames1700
10-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer882
Do they come with any type of linkage or do you use your stock linkage? IMO thats the weak link to a good suspension set-up is the factory linkage, making the rear sit up too high.

I asked Clark at Noleen the very same question when I was calling around and gathering information from everybody and it was his opinion that the stock linkage on the KFX had a very good progression curve to work with.

As far as seat heat on the KFX goes, the rear end and overall ride height are a tad lower now but I can't say if that ever seemed like a problem to me on this quad anyways. Not like my old z400 anyways.

jimmyjames1700
10-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by honda4life818
pics of em mounted?

Here ya go,

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9185/dsc00567e.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8164/dsc00569dj.jpg

MtnEX
10-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Holeshot XC's? Or radials?

I saw those and had to ask.

I can't find much fault in that tread style or a regular Razr even though everyone preaches how good Razr 2's and GNCC's are. (might be just what I'm used to?)

Anyways, I can't find input on that tread style on the KFX... and can't seem to find any feedback on radial construction... should they happen to be the radial version....

jimmyjames1700
10-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
Holeshot XC's? Or radials?

I saw those and had to ask.

I can't find much fault in that tread style or a regular Razr even though everyone preaches how good Razr 2's and GNCC's are. (might be just what I'm used to?)

Anyways, I can't find input on that tread style on the KFX... and can't seem to find any feedback on radial construction... should they happen to be the radial version....

They are SR's

I don't know how they would compare to a Razr on this machine (had them on me old Z400 though) but I can tell you that they track and hook up much better than the stock ones and are more forgiving at the same time.

I wanted these because of the radial design which seems to work very well, even better than the stockers and I'm convinced the ride is smoother with these than it would be with Razr's. Plus I liked that it is the same demensions as the stock rear Dunlop 20x10x9.

MtnEX
10-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Sounds like they are soft like the stockers but hook up better.

How are they as far as tire roll?

The stock radials seemed better than any stock tire I've used, and seemed to have less roll. But they really needed to be up at 5 PSI or more to get the best out of them. And then they didn't seem as soft of course...

I got new tires primarily for puncture resistance and a little better hookup. And when I did, I was wondering how a radial would really be from an aftermarket brand like ITP/Maxxis/Kenda.

jimmyjames1700
10-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
Sounds like they are soft like the stockers but hook up better.

How are they as far as tire roll?

The stock radials seemed better than any stock tire I've used, and seemed to have less roll. But they really needed to be up at 5 PSI or more to get the best out of them. And then they didn't seem as soft of course...

I got new tires primarily for puncture resistance and a little better hookup. And when I did, I was wondering how a radial would really be from an aftermarket brand like ITP/Maxxis/Kenda.

Seem fine to me, like I said before, they are better in every way than the stock Dunlops.

As far as tire pressure goes, I run about 5.6 front and 4.8 rear. Those numbers are while the tire is at running temp. I would imagine the cold numbers are about 4.8 front and 4 pounds rear.
At those pressures, they feel soft and hold up good in the rocks and stuff.