PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Engineering question...

ZeroLogic
08-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Well I got another engineering question yet again.

So heres the deal. I'm working as a subcontractor right now and I love it and everything but I need a job with benefits and a decent salary. I wanted to do it online and the only school I found to do the civil engineering online is Penn Foster. However they only offer an Associates degree. I was leaning towards a Bachlors degree.

What do you guys thing about this course?

Heres the link to the course.
http://www.pennfostercollege.edu/civileng/index.html

I was talking to a girl from there and she said it would be around 50 bucks a month for about 18 months with a 30 dollar down paymentbut don't quote me. They also said they would offer help for getting a job in this field also. I looked on site like Monster and other job sites and employers are mainly looking for Bachlors degrees and other don't say but require 5+ years of employment in the field.

Should I give it a try? I can always go to college later on for hte Bachlors degree also but I rather do it online now and make money at the same time.

One last question I really couldn't get a answer out of anyone so maybe you guys can help. Someone said if I get an 60 credits for an Associates degree and transfer them to Penn Foster to take the Civil Engineering courses I would graduate with a Bachelors degree.
Now if that would be true I was considering going to Phoenix University and taking math, science and other classes to help me out on the Engineering courses.

Is that true or you can't really do that.

Thanks for the responses.

KevinAb
08-18-2009, 09:01 PM
http://www.ncsu.edu/uap/academic-standards/RR/curricula/engineering/14ce.html

Get a real degree from a real University or don't bother. Yes, It's a lot of work, but don't think an online degree is equivalent to a real degree.

KevinAb
08-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Especially in Civil Eng, a Professional Engineering License means everything. If your school isn't acreditted, you can't take the FE test. (Fundamentals of Engineering)

If you have a BS in CE from an acreditted school, pass the FE, get "Engineering Intern" certified, then work under a Professional Engineer for 4 years, take the PE test and pass.... If you are just starting out, make sure your schooling is accredited.

jcv400ex
08-18-2009, 09:24 PM
PSU (http://bulletins.psu.edu/bulletins/bluebook/college_campus_details.cfm?id=27&program=c_e.htm)

Honestly, I'd put in the time and get your BS from a regular college. Penn State is known for it's Engineering school. I'd recommend a BS over a AS. I have a AS through Tri-Angle tech in mechanical, and I wish I would have went to Penn State. I literally sent out 110 resumes right out of the gate. I graduated in 1997 and always ran into "you have no experience". It took me a year and a half to find an engineering job. I started out as a draftsperson making $18,000 a year....I've since tripled my salary, but let me tell you, it was no walk in the park. I've busted my rear end to get where I'm at and it would have been alot easier if I would have went for the BS.

Just my $0.02

KevinAb
08-18-2009, 09:34 PM
I've worked with several Penn State BS-MS Arch/Structural Engs, it's an excellent program. Always top-notch grads.