PDA

View Full Version : Chain Types???

ProspectorJim
08-18-2009, 08:23 PM
I need a new chain, but I have no idea what kind of chain I should be looking for. I know it has to be 520x102, but its the ring types that are confusing me. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each chain type?

cdrookie
08-19-2009, 08:49 AM
they're basically the same, o ring, x ring, just a seal to keep grease in. the last chain i got was a sidewinder "smart" chain. i'd recommend it, not cheap, but if you have a high performance ride, it's worth it in the long run.

LTandRaptorider
08-19-2009, 02:38 PM
I've had great luck with DID ATV X-ring chains. Best price I've seen is Rocky Mountain. Check Motosport too.

NacsMXer
08-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
I've had great luck with DID ATV X-ring chains. Best price I've seen is Rocky Mountain. Check Motosport too.

X2, that's what I use.

Just bought my second DID ATV X-ring chain from Rocky Mountain actually. $77 for a 100 linker. They hold up to a ton of abuse. Can't go wrong with a DID chain!

matt14c
08-19-2009, 07:05 PM
X3 on the DID. That is what I have used and what I have on now. I tried RK before going to DID and had two snap very early into there chain life. Wasnt impressed at all. Always wanted to try sidewinder myself especially the sprockets just never came up with the coin for them.

deathman53
08-19-2009, 07:25 PM
sidewinder is way over-rated. I had 2 sets, one set I still have. The other went sour almost 2 years ago. Chain was stretching alot and getting side-side slop, sprockets hooked pretty good. I replaced it with a primary drive and did x-ring, its still on that quad with little wear. When I called sidewinder about the "lifetime" warrantly, I didn't use their chain lube and didn't have stock sized sprockets and hung up. I have IronMan sprockets on my dirtbikes and they last 2 chains and 5-7 front sprockets. The rears show very little wear. They sell rear sprockets for honda and yamaha. They will be my next set of sprockets for my atv's. Also the sidewinder tri-moly is nothing more than a stealth sprocket, you can get the same sprocket for 1/2 the price from the ktm hardparts book. I don't know where to get the honda/yamaha ones.

http://www.dirttricks.com/ironman_quad.htm

here is supersprocks website, its a stealth sprocket. You probably need to call them for more atv sizes

http://www.supersproxusa.com/our_products.php

Tommy Warren
08-19-2009, 08:33 PM
X3 DID

eastside 400
08-19-2009, 08:36 PM
always liked regina Zring atv chains, basically just an oring chain but they hold up really good

honda400ex2003
08-20-2009, 12:43 PM
x ring for me all the way. add another to the list. steve