PDA

View Full Version : gearing for sand

rhinorick
08-18-2009, 05:26 PM
I have a 13 39 gears and they are to tall for the power and paddles I'm using. anyone no were a can get a rear 41 -42 rock mtn didnt have them and the only place I could find wants 109 for one rear didnt want to pay that much unless I have to. its a 88 dont no if all the years are the same

thedeatons
08-18-2009, 06:11 PM
I think I am at a 14/42 for mine... I bought a 42T Talon (hard anodized) from a Cannondale supplier I know (same rear sprocket hub). It was less than $50 shipped. This gearing combination is way better than the 38T I had before. I am finally able to use some of my higher gears. I can now get in 4th easily on the straights (at St. A's). First is still VERY useable too.

We talked about this before Rick, and the worry was that the lower gears would no longer be useable. I decided to change the gearing a little at a time, to find that happy medium. So far it is working. I may try the smaller front sprocket out too, but I am pretty happy with my current setup. The smaller flywheel of the CR250 ignition no doubt helped out.

PM me if you want my supplier's info. He is a great guy, ships right away. He typically only works with Paypal though.

James

rsss396
08-18-2009, 09:06 PM
http://www.rebelgears.com/

rhinorick
08-19-2009, 09:24 AM
can i drop one to a 12 tooth looks like alot of guys are going up but the thing feels like its going 30 in 1st with the 22 inch hallers. I dont see were anyone is going down 1.

thedeatons
08-19-2009, 10:49 AM
I cannot recall whether the smallest is 12 or 13. I have the smallest one they make, but I went up one to help the chain out. The bigger the circumference the easier it is on the chain.....

James

86 Quad R
08-19-2009, 12:09 PM
i gotta ask........ what tires are most of you guys running to need a smaller/lower gear? :confused: i've always been able to run a 14/38 in sand with no issues at all. a 12 or 13 is waaaaay to short a gear for me. makes for entirely to quick a shift. :huh

thedeatons
08-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Good question. There are a lot of factors though.

#1 Consistency of the sand
#2 Type of riding you do in the sand
#3 How many useable gears you really want to have

St. Anthony's sand is super fine. The type of riding I do in the sand is like that of a short MX track. Very tight turns, very few straight sections. It takes us FOREVER to get anywhere, because we rarely ride in a straight line. A 13/38 only had me in 1-3 gears. 4-6 were not useable.

Now I am on a 13/42, and I can use 4th easily. Not sure about 5th and 6th yet.

For someone who rides to the drag hill and sits there all day, this combination might not work. Every different rider, different conditions, and different type of riding is going to require their own gearing combination. There is no "correct" gearing. Race teams change gearing at every track.

My personal preference is having as much resolution as possible. It just makes sense to be able to use everything the transmission has. Why have a 6 speed if I am only using 4 gears? That is two extra gears I could have, meaning more resolution. Just like your television, the more dots per inch (DPI) the better. It means a higher resolution.

James

rhinorick
08-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
i gotta ask........ what tires are most of you guys running to need a smaller/lower gear? :confused: i've always been able to run a 14/38 in sand with no issues at all. a 12 or 13 is waaaaay to short a gear for me. makes for entirely to quick a shift. :huh

22-12-8 8 blade on a 125. hallers
21-11-8 7 blade on 125 Hallers
and 20 inch sand stars the sand stars are spairs
they are all tires I had for the 450r this will be the 2ed trip to the sand for me with the 250R

86 Quad R
08-19-2009, 12:57 PM
i see what your saying deat. never realy been to the BIG dunes. all my sand riding has been confined to local sand pits(course heavy sand) and ofcourse the sand bars at the rivers(fluffy powdered white sand). none of which require anything larger than 20" tires.